Building High-Performance Muscle™
Politics and World Issues
 
Jon Stewart Insults Catholics Again
 

killerDIRK
Level

Join date: Apr 2011
Location: California, USA
Posts: 654

Yes, we have had this damn thread resurrected more times than Jesus ?!?

Can we get back to shit that is much more relevant, like the problem of overpopulation of this

small blue orb floating in space by the most destructive of all animals...US !

  Report
 

SexMachine
Level

Join date: Mar 2011
Location:
Posts: 5053

killerDIRK wrote:
Yes, we have had this damn thread resurrected more times than Jesus ?!?

Can we get back to shit that is much more relevant, like the problem of overpopulation of this

small blue orb floating in space by the most destructive of all animals...US !


But the world is not overpopulated. The Malthusian Catastrophe has been proven completely incorrect - over 150 years ago.

  Report
 

qsar
Level 1

Join date: Nov 2011
Location:
Posts: 172

The whole Jon Steward segment began with a Christian (priest I think?) shown strongly wishing the gay member of Mitt Romney's team would be fired. Then rejoicing when it happened. Wasn't that exceptionally un-Christian? Wishing ill-will towards others, I mean. He was certainly not loving his neighbor.

  Report
 

kneedragger79
Level 2

Join date: Jun 2008
Location: Arizona, USA
Posts: 2149

Your post was riddled with speculation. And second, one Christian does not represent Christianity as a whole. Case in point.

qsar wrote:
The whole Jon Steward segment began with a Christian (priest I think?) shown strongly wishing the gay member of Mitt Romney's team would be fired. Then rejoicing when it happened. Wasn't that exceptionally un-Christian? Wishing ill-will towards others, I mean. He was certainly not loving his neighbor.

  Report
 

ZEB
Level

Join date: Sep 2003
Location:
Posts: 19363

qsar wrote:
The whole Jon Steward segment began with a Christian (priest I think?) shown strongly wishing the gay member of Mitt Romney's team would be fired. Then rejoicing when it happened. Wasn't that exceptionally un-Christian? Wishing ill-will towards others, I mean. He was certainly not loving his neighbor.



That depends on what he actually said and felt in his heart. Can you be happy that a homosexual is no longer part of a candidates campaign? Sure, nothing non Christian about that. Christians have a set of values based on scripture and obviously homosexuality lies outside those values. However, if he celebrated such the bible is pretty clear that God does not look favorably on that.

By the way I personally couldn't care less who Mitt Romney has on his team. As long as that team can win!

This country is in very bad shape and I don't care what the man's religion (or personal lifestyle) is who can fix it or help fix it.

As I've said before if you got into a bad accident and needed an immediate operation to save y our life you wouldn't ask the doctor if he was a Christian before going under the knife. You'd simply want him to be qualified to perform a successful operation.

Obama is taking us to a very, very bad place economically. And I truly believe that Mitt Romney with his business background (and former Chief Executive of a state) can help turn it around. Therefore, as far as I'm concerned he can hire a team of homosexual atheists, if they can help turn us around I'm voting for Romney!

  Report
 

sufiandy
Level 1

Join date: Aug 2009
Location: Washington, USA
Posts: 2775

ZEB wrote:
As I've said before if you got into a bad accident and needed an immediate operation to save y our life you wouldn't ask the doctor if he was a Christian before going under the knife. You'd simply want him to be qualified to perform a successful operation.


What about a less immediate operation where not choosing that doctor doesn't imply death?

  Report
 

ZEB
Level

Join date: Sep 2003
Location:
Posts: 19363

sufiandy wrote:
ZEB wrote:
As I've said before if you got into a bad accident and needed an immediate operation to save y our life you wouldn't ask the doctor if he was a Christian before going under the knife. You'd simply want him to be qualified to perform a successful operation.


What about a less immediate operation where not choosing that doctor doesn't imply death?


That's an easy answer but I'm not sure I want to talk to a religious bigot. And I'm very serious.

I am far more open minded about non religious people than you are religious people--BIGOT.

  Report
 

krazykoukides
Level 1

Join date: May 2008
Location: New York, USA
Posts: 1440

Brother Chris wrote:

For that matter, isn't the Muslim god the same as well?


They make the claim, yes. However, their theology is off track.



What are you comparing to come to this conclusion?

  Report
 

sufiandy
Level 1

Join date: Aug 2009
Location: Washington, USA
Posts: 2775

ZEB wrote:
sufiandy wrote:
ZEB wrote:
As I've said before if you got into a bad accident and needed an immediate operation to save y our life you wouldn't ask the doctor if he was a Christian before going under the knife. You'd simply want him to be qualified to perform a successful operation.


What about a less immediate operation where not choosing that doctor doesn't imply death?


That's an easy answer but I'm not sure I want to talk to a religious bigot. And I'm very serious.

I am far more open minded about non religious people than you are religious people--BIGOT.


I am only against those who are intolerant of others, maybe we aren't so different after all.

  Report
 

Brother Chris
Level 2

Join date: May 2005
Location: Arizona, USA
Posts: 16910

Sweet Revenge wrote:
Brother Chris wrote:
qsar wrote:
Jon Stewart also showed a Christian right representative calling Mormons people who worship a false god. Isn't that self-deprecating? Isn't it the same god?


No.

For that matter, isn't the Muslim god the same as well?


They make the claim, yes. However, their theology is off track.

Not to mention Judaism.


Judaism split in two directions Rabbinical Judaism and Catholicism.

And I don't mean philosophically speaking. I mean, the same exact god.


No for Mormons.

Christians tacked on Jesus on top of that. Muslims tacked on Mohamed on top of Jesus. The worse someone could say is that Mormons and Muslims believe in a false prophet (Joseph Smith and Mohamed respectively).


But, Mormons don't believe in the Trinitarian God. Muslims claim they believe in the one God of Abraham.

As Jews believe Christians worship a false prophet in Jesus (well, maybe a prophet but nothing more). But each one traces their god to the same source (the one with Adam and Eve).


Yeah...no. That doesn't mean they are the same God. Sorry.


There is only one God. It doesn't matter what religion you are. Haven't we been through this a million times?


You can say it a million times, doesn't make it right.

Yes, there is but one God. That doesn't mean that everyone worships it.

  Report
 

Brother Chris
Level 2

Join date: May 2005
Location: Arizona, USA
Posts: 16910

killerDIRK wrote:
Yes, we have had this damn thread resurrected more times than Jesus ?!?

Can we get back to shit that is much more relevant, like the problem of overpopulation of this

small blue orb floating in space by the most destructive of all animals...US !


http://overpopulationisamyth.c...

  Report
 

Brother Chris
Level 2

Join date: May 2005
Location: Arizona, USA
Posts: 16910

krazykoukides wrote:
Brother Chris wrote:

For that matter, isn't the Muslim god the same as well?


They make the claim, yes. However, their theology is off track.



What are you comparing to come to this conclusion?


Comparing what? Their theology?

  Report
 

ZEB
Level

Join date: Sep 2003
Location:
Posts: 19363

sufiandy wrote:
ZEB wrote:
sufiandy wrote:
ZEB wrote:
As I've said before if you got into a bad accident and needed an immediate operation to save y our life you wouldn't ask the doctor if he was a Christian before going under the knife. You'd simply want him to be qualified to perform a successful operation.


What about a less immediate operation where not choosing that doctor doesn't imply death?


That's an easy answer but I'm not sure I want to talk to a religious bigot. And I'm very serious.

I am far more open minded about non religious people than you are of religious people--BIGOT.


I am only against those who are intolerant of others, maybe we aren't so different after all.



You are the very definition of intolerant. You mock Christianity under the guise of humor. And I've read other snide remarks made about those who are religious. That is not being tolerant of others who share beliefs that you do not.

  Report
 

qsar
Level 1

Join date: Nov 2011
Location:
Posts: 172

To bring this back on-topic, there are a lot of posters here who seem to take John Steward way too seriously. He was pointing out someone's logical fallacy about Mormonism by using the same faulty logic with Buddhism and Christianity. I can't see why anyone be offended by that.

  Report
 

ZEB
Level

Join date: Sep 2003
Location:
Posts: 19363

qsar wrote:
To bring this back on-topic, there are a lot of posters here who seem to take John Steward way too seriously. He was pointing out someone's logical fallacy about Mormonism by using the same faulty logic with Buddhism and Christianity. I can't see why anyone be offended by that.



That is how he operates. Humor is an insidius political tool.

"bla bla slam Catholics..bla bla bla..slam republicans...bla bla"

Just kidding.

But the point has been made.



  Report
 

sufiandy
Level 1

Join date: Aug 2009
Location: Washington, USA
Posts: 2775

Brother Chris wrote:
killerDIRK wrote:
Yes, we have had this damn thread resurrected more times than Jesus ?!?

Can we get back to shit that is much more relevant, like the problem of overpopulation of this

small blue orb floating in space by the most destructive of all animals...US !


http://overpopulationisamyth.c...


Yours was too easy... let's see if you can spot the bias or ulterior motive in my link in under 30 seconds too (if it exists).

http://www.overpopulation.org/

  Report
 

SexMachine
Level

Join date: Mar 2011
Location:
Posts: 5053

sufiandy wrote:
Brother Chris wrote:
killerDIRK wrote:
Yes, we have had this damn thread resurrected more times than Jesus ?!?

Can we get back to shit that is much more relevant, like the problem of overpopulation of this

small blue orb floating in space by the most destructive of all animals...US !


http://overpopulationisamyth.c...


Yours was too easy... let's see if you can spot the bias or ulterior motive in my link in under 30 seconds too (if it exists).

http://www.overpopulation.org/


The first name I see is Henry W Kindall. Here's a quote from Kindall:

"...Such circumstances have been of concern since Thomas R. Malthus first called attention, in 1798, to the consequences of their continuation; decreasing per capita food and great human suffering."

As I told you the Malthusian Catastrophe was proved nonsense over 150 years ago. These are crackpots known as 'Neo-Malthusians.' Do you know anything about what I am talking about? No? What makes you feel you are fit to hold an opinion on something you know nothing about? Dunning Kruger effect? I used to believe the world was overpopulated as well - until I actually researched it. It required reading, thinking critically and analysis of sources.

  Report
 

Fletch1986
Level 3

Join date: Aug 2007
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 4658

Environmental destruction including global climate change either entirely brought on by anthropogenic causes or natural and anthropogenic causes due to increases in industry, increases in population, and a strive for affluence is something to worry more about than increasing population in and of itself.

  Report
 

sufiandy
Level 1

Join date: Aug 2009
Location: Washington, USA
Posts: 2775

Fletch1986 wrote:
Environmental destruction including global climate change either entirely brought on by anthropogenic causes or natural and anthropogenic causes due to increases in industry, increases in population, and a strive for affluence is something to worry more about than increasing population in and of itself.


And if it were not a problem, is increased population actually helping us or at best can we hope to maintain quality of life. Unless we have something to gain from increasing population I don't see the point in promoting it as a non-problem.

  Report
 

SexMachine
Level

Join date: Mar 2011
Location:
Posts: 5053

It would depend where you're promoting it wouldn't it? For example, in Italy they have an average birthrate of 1.1 children and there will be only half as many Italians by 2050. Whereas in Niger the birthrate is an average 7.6 children per woman. Niger cannot sustain an increased population growth of that rate. Italy cannot sustain a decreased population growth. Neither has anything to do with whether the world is overpopulated. The world has demographic problems not overpopulation problems. But like I said, Dunning Kruger effect.

  Report
 

Fletch1986
Level 3

Join date: Aug 2007
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 4658

I'm more worried about increased industry and greater affluence in China more than a lot of things. Also deforestation which will have unpredictable effects including desertification, carbon sequestration, and possibly even effects on albedo that may have a global impact. There possibly going to be where America was in the 1950's, except a billion people depending on how the trend of rural peoples going to cities continues. If everyone had the same global footprint as your average American, I don't know what specifically would happen, but it wouldn't be good.

It's going to take global appreciation for the environment and increases in 'green technology' to either prevent or mitigate changes that are going to happen. As I see it, we need to develop technology that will prevent further destruction and pollution and to deal with the damage that's already done and continues to harm the environment well after the fact. Chloroflourocarbons are a good example of such a pollutant.

  Report
 

krazykoukides
Level 1

Join date: May 2008
Location: New York, USA
Posts: 1440

Brother Chris wrote:
krazykoukides wrote:
Brother Chris wrote:

For that matter, isn't the Muslim god the same as well?


They make the claim, yes. However, their theology is off track.



What are you comparing to come to this conclusion?


Comparing what? Their theology?


Yes, I meant specifically what in their theology made you come to the conclusion that they do not worship the same god as yourself.

But hey, never mind, I won't derail this thread with something that has apparently been discussed many times.

  Report
 

Brother Chris
Level 2

Join date: May 2005
Location: Arizona, USA
Posts: 16910

sufiandy wrote:
Fletch1986 wrote:
Environmental destruction including global climate change either entirely brought on by anthropogenic causes or natural and anthropogenic causes due to increases in industry, increases in population, and a strive for affluence is something to worry more about than increasing population in and of itself.


And if it were not a problem, is increased population actually helping us or at best can we hope to maintain quality of life. Unless we have something to gain from increasing population I don't see the point in promoting it as a non-problem.


So, you're saying if it's a non-problem, but doesn't benefit you in some way personally, you'd like to kill a few billion people. Interesting.

  Report
 

orion
Level 5

Join date: Jun 2005
Location: Austria
Posts: 24408

ZEB wrote:
sufiandy wrote:
ZEB wrote:
sufiandy wrote:
ZEB wrote:
As I've said before if you got into a bad accident and needed an immediate operation to save y our life you wouldn't ask the doctor if he was a Christian before going under the knife. You'd simply want him to be qualified to perform a successful operation.


What about a less immediate operation where not choosing that doctor doesn't imply death?


That's an easy answer but I'm not sure I want to talk to a religious bigot. And I'm very serious.

I am far more open minded about non religious people than you are of religious people--BIGOT.


I am only against those who are intolerant of others, maybe we aren't so different after all.



You are the very definition of intolerant. You mock Christianity under the guise of humor. And I've read other snide remarks made about those who are religious. That is not being tolerant of others who share beliefs that you do not.


Compared to what?

The inquisition?

The stakes?

  Report
 

orion
Level 5

Join date: Jun 2005
Location: Austria
Posts: 24408

SexMachine wrote:
sufiandy wrote:
Brother Chris wrote:
killerDIRK wrote:
Yes, we have had this damn thread resurrected more times than Jesus ?!?

Can we get back to shit that is much more relevant, like the problem of overpopulation of this

small blue orb floating in space by the most destructive of all animals...US !


http://overpopulationisamyth.c...


Yours was too easy... let's see if you can spot the bias or ulterior motive in my link in under 30 seconds too (if it exists).

http://www.overpopulation.org/


The first name I see is Henry W Kindall. Here's a quote from Kindall:

"...Such circumstances have been of concern since Thomas R. Malthus first called attention, in 1798, to the consequences of their continuation; decreasing per capita food and great human suffering."

As I told you the Malthusian Catastrophe was proved nonsense over 150 years ago. These are crackpots known as 'Neo-Malthusians.' Do you know anything about what I am talking about? No? What makes you feel you are fit to hold an opinion on something you know nothing about? Dunning Kruger effect? I used to believe the world was overpopulated as well - until I actually researched it. It required reading, thinking critically and analysis of sources.


That this was proven "nonsense" is not quite true.

Had the industrial revolution not happened that is pretty much what would have happened.

  Report