The Intelligent & Relentless Pursuit of Muscle™
Muscle Sorority
 
Vegan Body Builder?
 

Paco000
Level

Join date: Nov 2012
Location:
Posts: 1

www.greatveganathletes.com/

Here is the link

I was vegetarian for 7 years, have been trainig at the gym for 5, from 75kg i gone to 95kg during that period, now i'm vegan for 3 monthsand still developing strenght and mass. 100% dedication, and u can do with your body anything

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

spacechappie
Level

Join date: Nov 2012
Location: Connecticut, USA
Posts: 9

Airtruth wrote:
We do know that Vegan and Vegatarian are two different things right?

Vegatarians can still take supplements, 98% of protein supplements vegans can't use, and the other 2% I'm just leaving out there in case theres something I never heard of.

I can not see a person who has been vegan their whole life being successful at too many sports. (maybe table tennis, and gymnastics)

Also, its very hard to tell whether somebody built their body by being vegan since many decide to be vegan at an older age.


Gymnastics can give you pretty monster level strength. I've heard stories of 130lb gymnasts deadlifting like 400lbs their first time. Olympic weightlifting and gymnastics are pretty much equal in the amount of sheer athleticism needed for them (Olympic lifting less so, I guess.) So if you can't do bodybuilding/recreational weightlifting on a vegan diet, I don't think gymnastics would be possible either.

Anyway, so far the "best" vegan bodybuilder/powerlifter I can find is an Israeli man. veganbodybuilding.com/?page=bio_avi. Definitely not bad looking, has a decent bench, but less good squat and deadlift numbers. Don't know if it's due to his diet, I was reading shoulder muscles tend to more often be Type 1 muscle fibers and not Type 2, and Type II is creatine fueled, thus no meat/no creatine. But who knows, you can only speculate. The Israeli man claims to eat mostly bread and stuff, he cooks all his food himself.

Me personally, I've tried going vegan/mostly vegan/vegetarian, and it doesn't work out too well. I think I figured out after a bit of an experiment that I'm probably wheat intolerant after a certain level. I remember I got super bloated after eating pasta everyday for a week, a few slices of bread or whatever's not a big deal, but yeah. So I find vegan commendable in theory, but in practice I can't get it to work. That said, high meat diets and me also don't agree, so I try to keep my meat to under 6-8oz a day now. I think what we need is proper balanced diets, and actually cooking our food from scratch rather than relying on cans and frozen crap. That'd be much less wasteful and better for the environment if we all did that, meat eating or not.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

NikH
Level 1

Join date: Feb 2011
Location:
Posts: 500

Isn't this israel man who has been vegan under a year? Before he was vegetarist and ate dairy products and protein supplements like all the meat-eaters.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

spacechappie
Level

Join date: Nov 2012
Location: Connecticut, USA
Posts: 9

NikH wrote:
Isn't this israel man who has been vegan under a year? Before he was vegetarist and ate dairy products and protein supplements like all the meat-eaters.


I got no idea, in the article it says he's been vegan since 20 years old. So about 30 years. But he's the only vegan BBer I've seen that's really impressed me.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report