The Intelligent & Relentless Pursuit of Muscle™
Muscle Sorority
 
Obese People In the Gym
 

kpsnap
Level

Join date: Feb 2010
Posts: 7121

Love Nike wrote:

Do folks really feel better mocking as opposed to hoping someone does better?


That's only a reflection of the mocker's [lack of] character.
Love Nike wrote:
I may have to hijack a thread in Beginners or start a thread of my own.


Start a thread in the Over 35 Forum. Everyone is very supportive there.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Love Nike
Level

Join date: Jun 2013
Posts: 141

kpsnap wrote:
Love Nike wrote:

Do folks really feel better mocking as opposed to hoping someone does better?


That's only a reflection of the mocker's [lack of] character.
Love Nike wrote:
I may have to hijack a thread in Beginners or start a thread of my own.


Start a thread in the Over 35 Forum. Everyone is very supportive there.



Thank you for the suggestion and I think I will do exactly that. I could already feel myself hesitating because it meant I would actually have to track my work and progress. The mind is ridiculously powerful.


  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Bhaccus
Level

Join date: Jul 2013
Posts: 3

About a month ago at my gym there was this fat guy . . . . . . . REALLY fat . . . . easily 350 and round like a planet . . . . . setting up to discontinue his membership.

I overheard him stating his reason for quitting was because he was tired of being the "fat guy" at the gym, so I asked him;

Do you know what you get for being the -fat guy- at the gym?
Eventually you get to be -the guy who dropped a shit-ton of weight- at the gym. Or you can be the fat guy on the couch.

He though about that for a minute, and I see him hauling ass there about four days a week now. Good on him.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

HawaiiTunya
Level 10

Join date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4740

BD123 wrote:
I was fat as hell when I first hit the gym. 295 of gut and ass, probably even higher than that at some points. People would look at me like I was some type of crazy walrus that some inconsiderate marine biologist had misplaced in their gym. I was drenched and dripping with sweat (always wiped down the machines though) and running around trying to circuit train in a packed out gym. I'm sure people laughed and I never really cared, I would've laughed too, I'm sure I looked freaking hilarious!

Ended up buying some more weights and a bench to add to some equipment I already had and now I just do everything at home, not because of the things people would say or think but because they would slow me down when I was trying to move through a circuit. Also old people and the various fungi that they carry. Seriously though why are old dudes just chilling out in the locker room with their balls hanging out, sitting on the benches. Anyway...

I weigh 225 now... Bottom line, fat people shouldn't go to the gym they should buy some dumbbells and circuit train at home. When you can see your feet go back to the gym and switch to packing on muscle. You don't need those stupid classes or Elliptical machines... Cardio and Aerobics are good for a four minute tabata sequence before you lift to get the blood flowing, anything more than that is trying to put lipstick on a pig. If your diet's not right on top of everything else you might as well just save the money you spend on the gym for a Rascal and some bigger sweatpants.


Seriously......?????? WTF planet did you fall of?

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Null
Level 1

Join date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1527

BD123 wrote:
I was fat as hell when I first hit the gym. 295 of gut and ass, probably even higher than that at some points. People would look at me like I was some type of crazy walrus that some inconsiderate marine biologist had misplaced in their gym. I was drenched and dripping with sweat (always wiped down the machines though) and running around trying to circuit train in a packed out gym. I'm sure people laughed and I never really cared, I would've laughed too, I'm sure I looked freaking hilarious!

Ended up buying some more weights and a bench to add to some equipment I already had and now I just do everything at home, not because of the things people would say or think but because they would slow me down when I was trying to move through a circuit. Also old people and the various fungi that they carry. Seriously though why are old dudes just chilling out in the locker room with their balls hanging out, sitting on the benches. Anyway...

I weigh 225 now... Bottom line, fat people shouldn't go to the gym they should buy some dumbbells and circuit train at home. When you can see your feet go back to the gym and switch to packing on muscle. You don't need those stupid classes or Elliptical machines... Cardio and Aerobics are good for a four minute tabata sequence before you lift to get the blood flowing, anything more than that is trying to put lipstick on a pig. If your diet's not right on top of everything else you might as well just save the money you spend on the gym for a Rascal and some bigger sweatpants.


You need HEAVY assed weights to alter your hormone profile.

Too bad so many don't hang in long enough to 1) learn that and 2) actually work up to lifting significant weight.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

HawaiiTunya
Level 10

Join date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4740

Null wrote:
BD123 wrote:
I was fat as hell when I first hit the gym. 295 of gut and ass, probably even higher than that at some points. People would look at me like I was some type of crazy walrus that some inconsiderate marine biologist had misplaced in their gym. I was drenched and dripping with sweat (always wiped down the machines though) and running around trying to circuit train in a packed out gym. I'm sure people laughed and I never really cared, I would've laughed too, I'm sure I looked freaking hilarious!

Ended up buying some more weights and a bench to add to some equipment I already had and now I just do everything at home, not because of the things people would say or think but because they would slow me down when I was trying to move through a circuit. Also old people and the various fungi that they carry. Seriously though why are old dudes just chilling out in the locker room with their balls hanging out, sitting on the benches. Anyway...

I weigh 225 now... Bottom line, fat people shouldn't go to the gym they should buy some dumbbells and circuit train at home. When you can see your feet go back to the gym and switch to packing on muscle. You don't need those stupid classes or Elliptical machines... Cardio and Aerobics are good for a four minute tabata sequence before you lift to get the blood flowing, anything more than that is trying to put lipstick on a pig. If your diet's not right on top of everything else you might as well just save the money you spend on the gym for a Rascal and some bigger sweatpants.


You need HEAVY assed weights to alter your hormone profile.

Too bad so many don't hang in long enough to 1) learn that and 2) actually work up to lifting significant weight.


Exactly...HEAVY assed weights are truly AMAZING. :-) I love them! They have really helped with my recomp. :-)

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

sotrue
Level

Join date: Sep 2013
Posts: 57

I've lost a lot of weight but I was laughed at when I went to the gym, even told to use the ladies gym as I was not lifting heavy enough to be using a bench at peak hour time when I was learning how to bench press with the bar.

I now lift more than the person that made that comment and half lost a fair bit of weight but you are treated differently which is something I have learnt to accept but it dosnt make it right.

But revenege is sweet I bench more and squat more than the guy and his mate that mad fun of me, and I make sure that if they are there when I am i lift near them so they can see the weight I am doing.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

theBird
Level

Join date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4699

sotrue wrote:
I've lost a lot of weight but I was laughed at when I went to the gym, even told to use the ladies gym as I was not lifting heavy enough to be using a bench at peak hour time when I was learning how to bench press with the bar.

I now lift more than the person that made that comment and half lost a fair bit of weight but you are treated differently which is something I have learnt to accept but it dosnt make it right.

But revenege is sweet I bench more and squat more than the guy and his mate that mad fun of me, and I make sure that if they are there when I am i lift near them so they can see the weight I am doing.

Good work buddy!


*tweet*

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

TheNWhiter
Level

Join date: Aug 2013
Posts: 33

A fat person walked into my gym today - looked like a proper geek.

He walked straight up to the lifting platform and started doing dead lift warm up sets with my max

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Mighty Matron
Level

Join date: Nov 2013
Posts: 223

I work out in a small gym, not a lot of members but most are fairly lean. My mother-in-law is a very large woman, has been for years, and she told me she wanted to lose weight. I told her to come to my gym since it was pretty obvious that the elliptical in her living room wasn't getting it done. She asked "I'll bet they don't want a woman like me in there, that probably isn't a gym for fat people right?" I told her that she was being ridiculous.

A gym is a perfect place for fat people to be. Period. That's where you go to get in shape.

If you think that mocking the heavies will make you feel good about yourself, you should know how awesome it feels to encourage someone instead. It would certainly be more constructive.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

sandyr9
Level

Join date: May 2014
Posts: 9

Honestly, they motivate me so much more. If they can overcome their hesitation and work hard, I should be able to anyways. I bet a lot of these bigger people have a lot more dedication and stamina, than my skinny unfit friends!

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

bigsjunk
Level

Join date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1

Sad, sad, sad; my story.
I had knee surgery, it was messed up as it was a crushing injury as well as tendon and cartalige damage.
I had to go back to college and of course, being an iron hound from 13, I went to the gym at 5 am. Since I was on a rehab lower body work I focused on upper body. Thing is this "college" gym had one bench press, a bunch of mis-matched, donated dumbells, a power rack, and 3 olympic bars and enogh plates to squash an elephant.

First time I go in there's this kid on the bench STRUGGLING with 95 pounds. (yes a quarter to a side)
Now this guy is HUGE; 6'3 give or take, and an easy 375, so, as you can imagine, I was simply confused??? 95?? what the hell??
For a week I came in at 5am and there this kid is, same weight, same struggle and taking up the only flat bench sooooo, I asked to work in.
I did my normal workout, to 3 plates (HEY, I was out of shape from surgery and laying on my ass; leave me alone) and we'd strip down to his 95; exhausting.

So, I talk with him a bit as we change weights and it turns out he's never even done a pushup, got a doctor's note for gym all through highschool; in short not an athletic bone in his whole, giant body.
So, I went to work, I told him if he just came in at teh same time I did I'd show him how to lift properly, how to move the weight up and grwo some muscle.
He said "but I'm really fat and I was told to lift really light and do cardio"; I sighed and set him straight. I said give me 45 days and he'd bench half his body weight. (he did it in 30)

3 years it took me to rehab my knee to the point I could do 3 plates again; THREE YEARS!!! In that 3 years, my friend, never, ever missed a work out. NOT ONCE. In that three years he dropped only 85 lbs but benched 425 for a triple. He squatted for 365 and deadlifted 455. Three years and he did things he never DREAMED of doing. We both stayed in school for another 2 years because we both worked and couldn't always go full time but he met me at the gym at 5 am 4 times a week. He, eventually, dropped to 225 lbs and managed to qualify to join the marine corps, get married to a hotty, and have two kids.
My friend died in Afghanistan. He worked his ass off, EVERY DAY, to get strong, to get lean, to find a woman that loved him for him, to be a dad and to serve his country. He was my friend and he was, at one time "obese".

How about the next time one of you gym rats see's an "obese" fella you help him out. Not for free, the cost of your experience is ONLY THIS, the same deal I made with my friend: "You show up, every day, and I'll show you how to be, stronger and leaner than you ever thought possible.
Maybe you'll have the PRIVLIGE of makeing a friend like the one I lost.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report