The Intelligent & Relentless Pursuit of Muscle™
Combat
 
Is Boxing a Gentlemens Sport?
 

Heymaker
Level

Join date: Mar 2012
Location: England
Posts: 17

Aussie Davo wrote:
Heymaker wrote:
redstar144 wrote:
Loosely related to thread title. What are peoples opinions on the double standards shown to Mayweather and Chisora. The whole boxing world was in uproar over Chisoras behaviour (which was disgraceful) and he got heavily punished. The British Boxing Board has no taken away his licence. This for fighting with other professional fighters outside the ring and generally behaving like a dick. Mayweather smacked his girlfriend and threatened his children which I think is considerably worse behaviour. I know he got jail time but the boxing world got less excited about it. He wasn't even banned for a time. The two punishments seem totally out of proportion.


It's absolutely disgraceful. I have no interest in defending Chisora, but for Maywhethers misconduct to be overlooked so easily is mind blowing.

I'm still not certain why Maywhethers sentance was pushed back?

Having said that, America takes a notoriously embarrassing stance on the punishment of celebrities and sports starse.


You're delusional

I'll say it again, despite the noisy barking, Mayweather is easily one of the best behaved fighters in the sport. The domestic doesn't mean shit to be honest, I know plenty of couples who are essentially good people who have gotten violent with each other during heated arguments, it happens, that's life. I would bet good money that she hit mayweather too, but let's not acknowledge that part because new wave misandry is a popular thing, all men are monsters etc.

For his conduct in the ring, again, one of the cleanest fighters. His use of boxing "tricks" so the speak, such as the forearm crush, elbow shove and head pull are questionable but still well within the rules, and actually just go to show his mastery of the game. There are a number of fighters who regularly and intentionally use far dirtier tactics, like gouging with the thumb of the glove, low blowing, headbutting elbows etc. But no one shines the spot lights on those guys.

The contrast between Mayweather's punishment (or lack thereof) and Chisora's punishment in the world of boxing is irrelevant, but I'll tell you exactly why they are out of proportion. For starters, they operate under two different governing bodies. Secondly, and more importantly, Mayweather makes money. A lot of fucking money. Money = leniency in other areas. Chisora on the other hand is both badly behaved and a shit fighter, hence, punishments abound.

As for America's embarrassing stance on the punishment of celebrities and sports figures, this is a problem shared by almost every major western country, not just America. And yes, it's a very real problem in our cultures, but let's leave this discussion focused on boxing.


I never said Floyd should be banned. I didn't question his actions in the ring. What is the need for your paragraph justifying Floyd in the ring? If you are directing it toward me then is nonsensical.

In regards to your argument about governing body's, I was raising questions about the WBC - who both boxers are involved in.

But yes, Floyd makes considerably more money in boxing.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

666Rich
Level 1

Join date: May 2006
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Posts: 844

Robert,

pun intended when referencing stone and brits in the same sentence?

Aussie Davo - good shit.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Grimlorn
Level

Join date: Jul 2011
Location:
Posts: 473

I agree with a lot of guys. I would only consider it a gentlemen's sport in the fact that there are rules to make it more "civil".

I love that I can post again.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Robert A
Level 5

Join date: Jun 2005
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Posts: 1983

666Rich wrote:
Robert,

pun intended when referencing stone and brits in the same sentence?

Aussie Davo - good shit.


No, I missed the pun. And I love puns like fat women love Oprah.

I also like similes.

Regards,

Robert A

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Robert A
Level 5

Join date: Jun 2005
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Posts: 1983

Grimlorn wrote:
I love that I can post again.


You couldn't for a while?

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Grimlorn
Level

Join date: Jul 2011
Location:
Posts: 473

Robert A wrote:
Grimlorn wrote:
I love that I can post again.


You couldn't for a while?

Yeah I don't know what happened. I haven't been able to post for a week. Some kind of problem with my account. Was able to login but unable to post. Finally got it sorted out though.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

ZEB
Level

Join date: Sep 2003
Location:
Posts: 19363

Just to clear things up for people, boxing was called a gentleman's sport not because it was a particularly clean sport, although it is much cleaner today than say 100 years ago. But because gentlemen dressed in their suits and top hats used to attend such events around the turn of the century (1880's into the 1920's). A "lady" never attended such events in those days, or at least very few did.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Robert A
Level 5

Join date: Jun 2005
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Posts: 1983

ZEB wrote:
Just to clear things up for people, boxing was called a gentleman's sport not because it was a particularly clean sport, although it is much cleaner today than say 100 years ago. But because gentlemen dressed in their suits and top hats used to attend such events around the turn of the century (1880's into the 1920's). A "lady" never attended such events in those days, or at least very few did.


B.S.

There are plenty of ladies at this here old timey time boxing match.

What do you mean? What's a repute and why is her's ill?

No, She said she just bit her lip. She needed the money for rent/medicine for her sick mother.

Why are you laughing?

What the hell is so funny?


Regards,

Robert A

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Airtruth
Level 1

Join date: Feb 2007
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 4305

I would say it's a gentleman because when the match is over both athletes tend to have a "gentleman"'s respect for each other. Yes we've all seen some unclassy stuff before and even during a match but compared to most sports the athletes tend to have the utmost respect for each other. This is after all promotion and rematch ideas have been abandoned. Of course there are notable exceptions, but these tend to be exceptions rather than the rule.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report