The Intelligent & Relentless Pursuit of Muscle™
Combat
 
GSP vs Condit
 

Khaine
Level 1

Join date: Aug 2006
Posts: 291

audiogarden1 wrote:
Many would argue he lost a round against Bonnar. Whether you believe that is relevant to today's discussion of Jones is up to you. What is relevant though is the first round in the Machida fight, which you can definitely argue Machida won.

Obviously Silva will have adjustments to make, but Brandon Vera and Bader should not even be mentioned when discussing possible outcomes of a Jones-Silva fight. The only person you can really use as a measuring stick that Jones has faced so far is Machida; He is the only guy who has striking that is close to being as accurate, fast, and unusual as Anderson's. And the reach didnt affect him too bad. I would expect Silva to do at least as well. But we will see.

The more i talk about it the more i just want to see it now, to put it all to rest. A few months ago i didnt want to see this fight at all as both guys are in my top 5 favorite current UFC fighters, and i'd hate to see either one of them lost to the other, but this debate will rage on for eternity, especially with the ever-annoying Sherdoggers unless this happens.


Rewatched it, and yeah, I'd give that round to Bonnar. Good call.

Now, the point wasn't really to compare Vera to Silva, just highlight the fact that in every fight Jones has had, opponents have brought something new to the table that he was supposed to struggle with. He's been equal to each of those challenges. So far.

I'd agree that Machida is the only opponent he's had that matches Silva in terms of accuracy and speed, but Machida and Silva still have completely different styles and apart from both being quick and accurate, they're not really comparable IMO.

But to flip that argument, which fighter has Silva faced that can be used as a measuring stick for Jones? Who has Silva beaten that has that combination of reach, unorthodox striking, wrestling and merciless GnP?

I know what you mean, man; they're both in my top 5 as well. But I really wanna see this fight because I think it's an interesting matchup. Unlike Silva - GSP, which I doubt would be interesting at all. Doesn't really matter to me whether my favourite fighters lose, I just wanna see good fights!

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

audiogarden1
Level

Join date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2962

Khaine wrote:
audiogarden1 wrote:
Many would argue he lost a round against Bonnar. Whether you believe that is relevant to today's discussion of Jones is up to you. What is relevant though is the first round in the Machida fight, which you can definitely argue Machida won.

Obviously Silva will have adjustments to make, but Brandon Vera and Bader should not even be mentioned when discussing possible outcomes of a Jones-Silva fight. The only person you can really use as a measuring stick that Jones has faced so far is Machida; He is the only guy who has striking that is close to being as accurate, fast, and unusual as Anderson's. And the reach didnt affect him too bad. I would expect Silva to do at least as well. But we will see.

The more i talk about it the more i just want to see it now, to put it all to rest. A few months ago i didnt want to see this fight at all as both guys are in my top 5 favorite current UFC fighters, and i'd hate to see either one of them lost to the other, but this debate will rage on for eternity, especially with the ever-annoying Sherdoggers unless this happens.


Rewatched it, and yeah, I'd give that round to Bonnar. Good call.

Now, the point wasn't really to compare Vera to Silva, just highlight the fact that in every fight Jones has had, opponents have brought something new to the table that he was supposed to struggle with. He's been equal to each of those challenges. So far.

I'd agree that Machida is the only opponent he's had that matches Silva in terms of accuracy and speed, but Machida and Silva still have completely different styles and apart from both being quick and accurate, they're not really comparable IMO.

But to flip that argument, which fighter has Silva faced that can be used as a measuring stick for Jones? Who has Silva beaten that has that combination of reach, unorthodox striking, wrestling and merciless GnP?

I know what you mean, man; they're both in my top 5 as well. But I really wanna see this fight because I think it's an interesting matchup. Unlike Silva - GSP, which I doubt would be interesting at all. Doesn't really matter to me whether my favourite fighters lose, I just wanna see good fights!


I said it before that while Anderson has never had to fight someone with Jones' particular physical gifts, that does not mean he will struggle with them, of course we have no idea though. And the same goes for Jones fighting Anderson. Theres no guarantee that Anderson's style will be the key to beating Jones, however it could also be the style that finally puts Jones down. We will just have to wait and see come fight time.

And at this point im not particularly interested in the GSP fight because to me its lose-lose for Silva. Most people expect him to win, and in impressive fashion. So if he does just that, its typical Anderson Silva. If he loses though, he just lost to a guy that A) everyone expected him to beat and B) is significantly smaller than him.

While i said i am a big fan of both Anderson and Jones, my biggest interest in seeing this fight comes from wanting to see what Anderson does. To say Jones doesnt have a pretty good shot at pulling that one off would be crazy, but to me there is just this intangible aspect of Anderson's game that no one else seems to have, like he always knows something we dont. I used to not want to see this fight a year ago cause i worried Anderson would lose but now i just have this feeling that he'll have another one of his tricks up his sleeve and surprise a lot of people.

Whether im right or wrong, only way ill get to find out is if they fight so hope it happens.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Aussie Davo
Level

Join date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1096

Honestly I also feel Silva vs Jones is a far more interesting match up than Silva vs GSP, at least from a fighter's perspective.

For the general public you can easily see why GSP vs Silva will be a huge draw, it's the sports two biggest stars going at it, casual fans dont really stop to consider if it will make a good fight or not.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Sentoguy
Level 3

Join date: Nov 2005
Posts: 6178

Aussie Davo wrote:
Honestly I also feel Silva vs Jones is a far more interesting match up than Silva vs GSP, at least from a fighter's perspective.

For the general public you can easily see why GSP vs Silva will be a huge draw, it's the sports two biggest stars going at it, casual fans dont really stop to consider if it will make a good fight or not.


Agreed.

Plus, I see the Jones vs Silva fight definitely ending in a decisive fashion (regardless of who takes it), while the GSP vs Silva fight could very well end in a decision should GSP be successful in taking Silva down and smothering him (not saying that it's gonna happen, but let's be honest and admit that it's pretty much GSP's only chance of winning that fight).

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

ZEB
Level

Join date: Sep 2003
Posts: 19363

Ha ha you guys are still talking about the obvious!

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

audiogarden1
Level

Join date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2962

Jon Jones is taller than Anderson Silva.

Anderson Silva is taller than GSP.

Therefore Jon Jones is taller than GSP.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Sentoguy
Level 3

Join date: Nov 2005
Posts: 6178

audiogarden1 wrote:
Jon Jones is taller than Anderson Silva.

Anderson Silva is taller than GSP.

Therefore Jon Jones is taller than GSP.


I hear that BJ Penn is Hawaiian

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

ZEB
Level

Join date: Sep 2003
Posts: 19363

audiogarden1 wrote:
Jon Jones is taller than Anderson Silva.

Anderson Silva is taller than GSP.

Therefore Jon Jones is taller than GSP.



LOL...that's it!

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

audiogarden1
Level

Join date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2962

Sentoguy wrote:
audiogarden1 wrote:
Jon Jones is taller than Anderson Silva.

Anderson Silva is taller than GSP.

Therefore Jon Jones is taller than GSP.


I hear that BJ Penn is Hawaiian


Like....from Hawaii?

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

rundymc
Level

Join date: May 2009
Posts: 1323

audiogarden1 wrote:
Sentoguy wrote:
audiogarden1 wrote:
Jon Jones is taller than Anderson Silva.

Anderson Silva is taller than GSP.

Therefore Jon Jones is taller than GSP.


I hear that BJ Penn is Hawaiian


Like....from Hawaii?


Half Irish, quarter Polynesian (native Hawaii), quarter Korean.

All badass.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Aussie Davo
Level

Join date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1096

rundymc wrote:
audiogarden1 wrote:
Sentoguy wrote:
audiogarden1 wrote:
Jon Jones is taller than Anderson Silva.

Anderson Silva is taller than GSP.

Therefore Jon Jones is taller than GSP.


I hear that BJ Penn is Hawaiian


Like....from Hawaii?


Half Irish, quarter Polynesian (native Hawaii), quarter Korean.

All badass.



fuckin crybaby though for real

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

rundymc
Level

Join date: May 2009
Posts: 1323

You take the good with the bad.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Robert A
Level 5

Join date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2185

Why has no one mentioned Allessio "Mediocrates" Sakara's history making performance?

Sure, GSP and Condit had a great fight. But we have seen those before.

Sakara just secured the "most egregious rule violation in UFC history" title. It was like Sakara was trying to pound a nail into Cote's 2nd cervical vertebrae. Then he tried to claim he wasn't aiming for the back of the head.

Regards,

Robert A

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

zenontheterrible
Level 3

Join date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1008

silva would KO GSP. unless for some reason he didn't want to. in addition to being a superior striker to gsp, he has superior power and speed and reach, and we all know gsp has a below average chin. (this is from a gsp fanboy). I have never seen silva so much as dazed, let alone rocked.

I doubt jones would beat silva, but he would at least have a chance, because he's superior in the physical aspects of reach and weight and strength. Jones by rights should be a heavyweight.

I have no other logical argumentative factors to base these opinions on, but i have watched all of their fights respectively.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

ZEB
Level

Join date: Sep 2003
Posts: 19363

zenontheterrible wrote:
silva would KO GSP. unless for some reason he didn't want to. in addition to being a superior striker to gsp, he has superior power and speed and reach, and we all know gsp has a below average chin. (this is from a gsp fanboy). I have never seen silva so much as dazed, let alone rocked.

I doubt jones would beat silva, but he would at least have a chance, because he's superior in the physical aspects of reach and weight and strength. Jones by rights should be a heavyweight.



Silva could beat everyone...every light heavy....and every heavyweight! Silva could beat the world. Just line everyone up and one at a time he would beat 4 billion people. I know this is true because I saw all his fights. The only one who can beat Silva is God. I think we should just crown him king of the fight world and stop forcing these mere mortals to fight with such an enigma.

Yawn.

I have no other logical argumentative factors to base these opinions on


Well I can't argue with that!

PS: let's keep this pointless thread going for as long as possible.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

FightinIrish26
Level

Join date: Feb 2005
Posts: 17237

mma sucks.

It sucks so much I'm not even going to capitalize it anymore.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

zenontheterrible
Level 3

Join date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1008

ZEB wrote:


PS: let's keep this pointless thread going for as long as possible.



yes, lets.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

audiogarden1
Level

Join date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2962

Robert A wrote:
Why has no one mentioned Allessio "Mediocrates" Sakara's history making performance?

Sure, GSP and Condit had a great fight. But we have seen those before.

Sakara just secured the "most egregious rule violation in UFC history" title. It was like Sakara was trying to pound a nail into Cote's 2nd cervical vertebrae. Then he tried to claim he wasn't aiming for the back of the head.

Regards,

Robert A



heat of the moment, trying to finish.

And because who gives a fuck about patrick cote.

i dont care for sakara either but it should have been an NC. the ref is also to blame.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

humble
Level 2

Join date: Nov 2005
Posts: 828

FightinIrish26 wrote:
mma sucks.

It sucks so much I'm not even going to capitalize it anymore.



lol.

hear hear

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report