Building High-Performance Muscle™
Powerlifting
 
Ran 16wks of Sheiko, Looking for Alternate
1
 

gory lobotomist
Level

Join date: Nov 2010
Location: Iowa, USA
Posts: 27

I ran Sheiko for 16 weeks and finally re did my 1RPM and I was quite impressed with my new numbers! I seen large gains everywhere, and I am ready to build on to them! Sheiko is not a program that I could run year round though. So what I am trying to figure out is what I should transition to. I have never ran 5-3-1, but I have heard great things about it. So I guess what I am asking is would it detrimental to my gains to switch up at this point or should I be able to jump into a new routine and keep getting stronger.

The only reason I am talking my self out of Sheiko is because my joints are having a hard time handling this load. Now I did not De-load at all while running the 16 weeks prior. Should I run a deload and then another 4 week cycle and deload again? I guess I am looking for advice from people who are already strong and have switched up training and regretted it or transitioned well. I am battling myself and it sucks.

BTW in case any one is wondering.
PR's:
Bench-305->345
Squat-425->475
Deadlift-490->530

  Report
 

Mathew Bertrand
Contributor

Join date: Feb 2005
Location:
Posts: 630

hey man, congrats on the PR's.

Which sheiko programs did you run?

When you say your joints are aching what are you talking about specifically?

Why do you feel you can't run sheiko year round?

  Report
 

TB284
Level

Join date: Oct 2012
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Posts: 84

I've trained with the Sheiko templates for the better part of the past two years. Prior to starting it, I was what you'd consider a "bench specialist", so my squat/deadlift had a lot of room to improve, but all three of my lifts saw pretty substantial gains. Just like you, I tried to transition away from it a couple of times to something a bit less taxing, because my hips and shoulders were taking a beating. It never really worked out for me. After giving some other systems a fair shake, I don't think anything works better for a raw lifter than Sheiko.

Instead, I devised my own protocols with the basic idea behind Sheiko remaining intact, but that's something I'll leave alone because the alterations I made to the rep schemes were mostly suited to what I found worked really well for me, and the carryover to someone else would be questionable. I'd stick with it, but try adding a deload week between cycles or even between every other cycle (29 > 30 > deload > 31 > 32, etc.), and see if that keeps you fresh/injury-free.

  Report
 

Mathew Bertrand
Contributor

Join date: Feb 2005
Location:
Posts: 630

TB284 wrote:
I've trained with the Sheiko templates for the better part of the past two years. Prior to starting it, I was what you'd consider a "bench specialist", so my squat/deadlift had a lot of room to improve, but all three of my lifts saw pretty substantial gains. Just like you, I tried to transition away from it a couple of times to something a bit less taxing, because my hips and shoulders were taking a beating. It never really worked out for me. After giving some other systems a fair shake, I don't think anything works better for a raw lifter than Sheiko.

Instead, I devised my own protocols with the basic idea behind Sheiko remaining intact, but that's something I'll leave alone because the alterations I made to the rep schemes were mostly suited to what I found worked really well for me, and the carryover to someone else would be questionable. I'd stick with it, but try adding a deload week between cycles or even between every other cycle (29 > 30 > deload > 31 > 32, etc.), and see if that keeps you fresh/injury-free.


great answer man

  Report
 

gory lobotomist
Level

Join date: Nov 2010
Location: Iowa, USA
Posts: 27

TB284 wrote:
I've trained with the Sheiko templates for the better part of the past two years. Prior to starting it, I was what you'd consider a "bench specialist", so my squat/deadlift had a lot of room to improve, but all three of my lifts saw pretty substantial gains. Just like you, I tried to transition away from it a couple of times to something a bit less taxing, because my hips and shoulders were taking a beating. It never really worked out for me. After giving some other systems a fair shake, I don't think anything works better for a raw lifter than Sheiko.

Instead, I devised my own protocols with the basic idea behind Sheiko remaining intact, but that's something I'll leave alone because the alterations I made to the rep schemes were mostly suited to what I found worked really well for me, and the carryover to someone else would be questionable. I'd stick with it, but try adding a deload week between cycles or even between every other cycle (29 > 30 > deload > 31 > 32, etc.), and see if that keeps you fresh/injury-free.

Thanks, that was what I was really looking for. I love the strength gains, and I always feel great come training time, but the aches in my knees, hips, and shoulders have cut some training short.

  Report
 

Mathew Bertrand
Contributor

Join date: Feb 2005
Location:
Posts: 630

gory lobotomist wrote:
TB284 wrote:
I've trained with the Sheiko templates for the better part of the past two years. Prior to starting it, I was what you'd consider a "bench specialist", so my squat/deadlift had a lot of room to improve, but all three of my lifts saw pretty substantial gains. Just like you, I tried to transition away from it a couple of times to something a bit less taxing, because my hips and shoulders were taking a beating. It never really worked out for me. After giving some other systems a fair shake, I don't think anything works better for a raw lifter than Sheiko.

Instead, I devised my own protocols with the basic idea behind Sheiko remaining intact, but that's something I'll leave alone because the alterations I made to the rep schemes were mostly suited to what I found worked really well for me, and the carryover to someone else would be questionable. I'd stick with it, but try adding a deload week between cycles or even between every other cycle (29 > 30 > deload > 31 > 32, etc.), and see if that keeps you fresh/injury-free.

Thanks, that was what I was really looking for. I love the strength gains, and I always feel great come training time, but the aches in my knees, hips, and shoulders have cut some training short.


Hey man, what I was trying to get out of you was why your knees hips and shoulders are trashed, I run sheiko, but my assistance work helps keep me healthy as well as my warm up.

What are you doing for a warm up?

  Report
 

RampantBadger
Level

Join date: Aug 2011
Location:
Posts: 2066

Could try 5/3/1 full body

  Report
 

Fletch1986
Level 3

Join date: Aug 2007
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 4676

maxfitusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/prelipins.pdf

Sheiko uses Prelipin's table a lot from my understanding and what that article dose is help you set up you're own program using the table and some simple calculations.

  Report
 

black_angus1
Level

Join date: May 2009
Location: Iowa, USA
Posts: 836

Woah woah. Another Iowan?

  Report
 

gory lobotomist
Level

Join date: Nov 2010
Location: Iowa, USA
Posts: 27

Larry10 wrote:
gory lobotomist wrote:
TB284 wrote:
I've trained with the Sheiko templates for the better part of the past two years. Prior to starting it, I was what you'd consider a "bench specialist", so my squat/deadlift had a lot of room to improve, but all three of my lifts saw pretty substantial gains. Just like you, I tried to transition away from it a couple of times to something a bit less taxing, because my hips and shoulders were taking a beating. It never really worked out for me. After giving some other systems a fair shake, I don't think anything works better for a raw lifter than Sheiko.

Instead, I devised my own protocols with the basic idea behind Sheiko remaining intact, but that's something I'll leave alone because the alterations I made to the rep schemes were mostly suited to what I found worked really well for me, and the carryover to someone else would be questionable. I'd stick with it, but try adding a deload week between cycles or even between every other cycle (29 > 30 > deload > 31 > 32, etc.), and see if that keeps you fresh/injury-free.

Thanks, that was what I was really looking for. I love the strength gains, and I always feel great come training time, but the aches in my knees, hips, and shoulders have cut some training short.


Hey man, what I was trying to get out of you was why your knees hips and shoulders are trashed, I run sheiko, but my assistance work helps keep me healthy as well as my warm up.

What are you doing for a warm up?


Squat day I will foam roll my lower back and hips. This doesn't get me very warm so I will do some no weight depth squat pause and then follow up with some straight leg deadlift with light weight. I started sleeving my knees after week 2 of 4 week cycle.(that helps knee issues) but my main thing right now is hip mobility affecting form and lower back pain from squats. The shoulder pain is more of an annoyance than a pain.


black_angus1 wrote:
Woah woah. Another Iowan?

Dubuque

  Report
 

black_angus1
Level

Join date: May 2009
Location: Iowa, USA
Posts: 836

Did you compete at the UPA Power Weekend this November?

  Report
1