The Intelligent & Relentless Pursuit of Muscle™
Powerlifting
 
Deadlift Help
1
 

BigAlSwede
Level 5

Join date: Jun 2006
Posts: 247

For the last year, I've run into a problem with my deadlift. When I get at or near max weight, my left side lags beyond my right. At maximum weights, it is often the reason why I miss it. At first, I assumed my hands were off center. I've had some of my lifting buddies keep a close eye on my grip and it seems that isn't the issue. I was hoping for any advice on what else the problem might be. Thanks for any intellegent advice that you might have to offer.

The below links are to two examples of what I'm talking about. The first obviously isn't as bad as the second because it's not quite as heavy. Excuse the fact that I'm computer retarded and don't know how to attach the video.




  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

cparker
Level 1

Join date: Nov 2008
Posts: 236

Have you tried switching you grip? I know you you said grip was your first concern but trying to think of simple solutions first. Do you have this problem on any other lifts?

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

rehanb_bl
Level 1

Join date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1209

cparker wrote:
Have you tried switching you grip? I know you you said grip was your first concern but trying to think of simple solutions first. Do you have this problem on any other lifts?



This

Your external rotated grip is exacerbating what seems to be a weaker upper trap.

Although the problem could be coming from further down stream, get someone to look at your hips both antero-posterior and laterally and work your way up there, my guess is it's a lateral imbalance in the thoracic spine.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

BigAlSwede
Level 5

Join date: Jun 2006
Posts: 247

Ok rehanb_bl, please excuse the dumb meathead, but it sounds like you're saying there's two problems: a weak trap and a thoracic spine imbalance. Is the first just a get stronger problem and the second a chiropractor problem?

In regards to cparker, I actually switch my grip every set in training. I like that I am just as strong either way. In a competition, however, I usually stick to the same grip every rep. No matter what, my left side lags behind.

Thanks for the input guys. I was afraid a bunch of internet heroes were going to give me a bunch of bs.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

MatthewMovement
Level

Join date: Dec 2012
Posts: 23

I hope I'm not the internet hero you're talking about. But, can you lift that weight with an overhand grip? Or with straps?

I know you can, otherwise you wouldn't have tried it in competition. But, does that side lag behind even when both hands are overhand grip?

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

black_angus1
Level

Join date: May 2009
Posts: 836

I would say film yourself from the front or back and check where your ass is pointing as you set up and pull--it might be pointing off to the side, but I can't tell from the video. If it is, just push your ass to the other side when you pull. It will feel awkward as fuck as first, but it might help. This helps for people who have symmetry issues while squatting; it's worth a shot if that is the issue.

Otherwise, make sure your feet are pointed out evenly and your stance is completely even. As always, I suggest keeping your lats tight and flexing your triceps during the pull; this might limit the problem, as it would keep your arms completely straight and the weight closer to you.

If all else fails, do some lighter work for a training cycle or so, and consciously think about keeping your shit even and symmetrical throughout the rep. Sometimes you just need to back off a little bit and fix the problem that way. In fact, I suggest doing this anyway.


EDIT: After watching the video a few more times, it seems like your upper back is where the twisting is occurring. I think that strengthening the entire upper back would help quite a bit. Shrugs, rows, rear delt work, all of it; that should keep you locked in a bit better.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

BigAlSwede
Level 5

Join date: Jun 2006
Posts: 247

MatthewMovement wrote:
I hope I'm not the internet hero you're talking about. But, can you lift that weight with an overhand grip? Or with straps?

I know you can, otherwise you wouldn't have tried it in competition. But, does that side lag behind even when both hands are overhand grip?


Because I primarily do strongman, I rarely use straps. I cannot do the same amount of weight double overhanded. Because my left side lags regardless of which way my grip is, I assume that it would still happen anyway. Thanks for the suggestions though.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

BigAlSwede
Level 5

Join date: Jun 2006
Posts: 247

black_angus1 wrote:
I would say film yourself from the front or back and check where your ass is pointing as you set up and pull--it might be pointing off to the side, but I can't tell from the video. If it is, just push your ass to the other side when you pull. It will feel awkward as fuck as first, but it might help. This helps for people who have symmetry issues while squatting; it's worth a shot if that is the issue.

Otherwise, make sure your feet are pointed out evenly and your stance is completely even. As always, I suggest keeping your lats tight and flexing your triceps during the pull; this might limit the problem, as it would keep your arms completely straight and the weight closer to you.

If all else fails, do some lighter work for a training cycle or so, and consciously think about keeping your shit even and symmetrical throughout the rep. Sometimes you just need to back off a little bit and fix the problem that way. In fact, I suggest doing this anyway.


EDIT: After watching the video a few more times, it seems like your upper back is where the twisting is occurring. I think that strengthening the entire upper back would help quite a bit. Shrugs, rows, rear delt work, all of it; that should keep you locked in a bit better.


This all sounds like pretty good advice. I'll keep working on it.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
1