The Intelligent & Relentless Pursuit of Muscle™
Powerlifting
 
Lifting Commentary Vids 1746 Raw Total @195
1 2 Next Last
 

BigBen198
Level

Join date: Jul 2011
Posts: 564

I've been keeping a log here for a while and recently started doing workout commentaries to try to share my lifting thoughts with others. I had someone ask why I didn't post in the main powerlifting area more often so I figured I'd start.

Feel free to take what you can from these vids and if you don't want to then don't =) simple enough! I'm currently running a very modified sheiko CMS program

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

yolo84
Level

Join date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1436

BigBen198 wrote:
I had someone ask why I didn't post in the main powerlifting area more often so I figured I'd start.


It was me.

Thanks for posting, I will probably come back with a few q's later on.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

mlekava000
Level 1

Join date: Aug 2010
Posts: 334

Where in Washington are you Ben? I am moving to Seattle and am looking for places to train. Got any ideas for University of Washington/Greenlake area?

I've been thinking of giving Sheiko a run. Problem with my schedule is that I can go to the gym often, but not for extremely long periods of time. So, I am trying to figure out how to divide the three-a-week Sheiko days (that probably, looking at the layout, last about 1.5 hrs each) to five-a-week days that are 50mins to an hour long. Ideas? Think this will work? If you werei nthe same predicament, how would you go about it?

Cheers! You and Ben Seath are some strong mofo-s and its great you are posting around.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

bignate
Level 1

Join date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3501

may i ask why you dont arch much at all even when you have your feet down for bench?

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

HARA
Level

Join date: Aug 2008
Posts: 543

Good stuff Ben. I will follow for sure.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

BigRedMachine87
Level 3

Join date: Nov 2010
Posts: 338

Awesome. I'll check into your stuff more. Good lifts.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

BigBen198
Level

Join date: Jul 2011
Posts: 564

mlekava000 wrote:Where in Washington are you Ben? I am moving to Seattle and am looking for places to train. Got any ideas for University of Washington/Greenlake area?

I've been thinking of giving Sheiko a run. Problem with my schedule is that I can go to the gym often, but not for extremely long periods of time. So, I am trying to figure out how to divide the three-a-week Sheiko days (that probably, looking at the layout, last about 1.5 hrs each) to five-a-week days that are 50mins to an hour long. Ideas? Think this will work? If you werei nthe same predicament, how would you go about it?

Cheers! You and Ben Seath are some strong mofo-s and its great you are posting around.
I live in Ellensburg and go to Central WA university. There are lots of gyms around the Seattle area but I am less familiar with them the closest ones I can really vouch for would be ocals gym in lynnwood where justin Randal trains, Imperial Crossfit in Kent where Grant Higa trains, Flex fitness, Stan Efferdings gym in tacoma, or Seattle Strength and power in downtown seattle. As for training with Sheiko if you lightened up the training weights and shortened rest periods it could help you move quickly. I've never had to deal with limited workout lengths because I generally build my class schedule and work schedules around my workouts haha. If two a days are an option the program breaks down well into that pretty well. you do your first 2 core lifts in 1 session and then come back later and do your last core lift and accessories. Hit me up with some more details about what you were thinking of doing and I'd be willing to look at it and try to see if I can't help you figure it out.

bignate said:
may i ask why you dont arch much at all even when you have your feet down for bench?

Of course you may, there are 2 real reasons. first off the benches I train on are low and slick wf you try to set a big arch you slide all over the place, it sucks but I don't have many options. 2nd is that I was diagnosed with spinal hyper lordosis and facet syndrome a while back which put me out for about 3 months basically my spine is naturally over arched and it was causing a lot of problems so I moved my squat stance in, cut down my bench arch and relearned how to lift.

HARA wrote:
Good stuff Ben. I will follow for sure.


awesome glad to have you along


BigRedMachine87 wrote:
Awesome. I'll check into your stuff more. Good lifts.

Thank you!

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

TigerTime
Level

Join date: May 2011
Posts: 1369

... You have a 1746 total at 195? I'm pretty sure that's good enough to win the IPF world classic championship for the 93kg class.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

BigBen198
Level

Join date: Jul 2011
Posts: 564

TigerTime wrote:
... You have a 1746 total at 195? I'm pretty sure that's good enough to win the IPF world classic championship for the 93kg class.

You sound understandably skeptical... Here are some vid credentials =)


  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

666Rich
Level 1

Join date: May 2006
Posts: 844

Ben,

that is some great lifting! Pretty insane for 198 as well. How long have you been training?

I am also curious how you go about getting sponsored (esp as a raw competitor myself). What all does the sponsorship pay for? I would like to see if thats possible for me soon.

Glad to have you around.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

BlueCollarTr8n
Level 1

Join date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2870

Great work!

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

TigerTime
Level

Join date: May 2011
Posts: 1369

[quote]BigBen198 wrote:
[quote]TigerTime wrote:
... You have a 1746 total at 195? I'm pretty sure that's good enough to win the IPF world classic championship for the 93kg class.[/quote]
You sound understandably skeptical... Here are some vid credentials =)




Well I'll be damned.

how old are you?

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

BigBen198
Level

Join date: Jul 2011
Posts: 564

[quote]666Rich wrote:
Ben,

that is some great lifting! Pretty insane for 198 as well. How long have you been training?

I am also curious how you go about getting sponsored (esp as a raw competitor myself). What all does the sponsorship pay for? I would like to see if thats possible for me soon.

Glad to have you around.[/quote]
I started training about 10 years ago and committed to powerlifting about 6-7 years ago. As far as sponsorship I address this in a video Q&A here sponsorship question is 4:10 seconds in


[quote]BlueCollarTr8n wrote:
Great work! [/quote]
Thank you!


[quote]TigerTime wrote:
[quote]BigBen198 wrote:
[quote]TigerTime wrote:
... You have a 1746 total at 195? I'm pretty sure that's good enough to win the IPF world classic championship for the 93kg class.[/quote]
You sound understandably skeptical... Here are some vid credentials =)




Well I'll be damned.

how old are you?[/quote]
I turned 22 11 days before that 1746 total and turn 23 next october

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

BigBen198
Level

Join date: Jul 2011
Posts: 564

sometimes you have to grit your teeth and get through the session, today is an example of that

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

MegaDavo891
Level

Join date: Mar 2009
Posts: 498

Definitely following this one. What are you studying?

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

BigBen198
Level

Join date: Jul 2011
Posts: 564

MegaDavo891 wrote:
Definitely following this one. What are you studying?

I have been studying vocal performance and american sign language for 4 years at cwu

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

yolo84
Level

Join date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1436

620x4x3 at 199lbs BW is incredible!

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

mattis
Level

Join date: Feb 2012
Posts: 77

This is great, will definately be following here!

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

yolo84
Level

Join date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1436

Can you give an example of your daily diet please. Do you follow carb cycling or any other particular protocol?

Are you big on workout nutrition (pre/during/post) or not really? An example if you are would be great.

Do you plan on moving up at all in the future? If so, to what class(es)?

What,if any, mobility and/or conditioning work do you do?

How many days a week do you train?

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

DBasler
Level 3

Join date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2318

Strong work Ben, I will be following. Since your a humble guy I'm going to try to help you out on the numerous sponsorship questins.

If you are 22-years-old with world class strength for your weight class and the potential to break many records and be considered one of the best ever and are also well spoken then you will get sponsors.

If you are like the rest of us you had better be lifting and/or competing because you love it not because you are going to ever make money from it. Just consider yourself lucky that as hobbies go powerlifting is a pretty inexpensive and rewarding one.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

BigBen198
Level

Join date: Jul 2011
Posts: 564

yolo84 wrote:
620x4x3 at 199lbs BW is incredible!

Thanks! it was actually 4 sets but the camera cut out on set 4 where I did 5 reps

mattis wrote:
This is great, will definately be following here!

Glad to have you along!

yolo84 wrote:
Can you give an example of your daily diet please. Do you follow carb cycling or any other particular protocol?

Are you big on workout nutrition (pre/during/post) or not really? An example if you are would be great.

Do you plan on moving up at all in the future? If so, to what class(es)?

What,if any, mobility and/or conditioning work do you do?

How many days a week do you train?

Daily diet is mostly by feel, not currently counting calories or even macros. Most days I eat when I'm hungry throughout the day. main staples include peanut butter, trail mix, beef jerky, chicken, tuna, fruits, vegetables, cheese, milk, V8 fusion juice. I limit grains in my diet because I find that it helps reduce inflammation and so my recovery is faster.

As for workout nutrition before the gym I usually down 2 tablespoons of peanut butter and a glass of skim milk. I use a half serving of universals "torrent" during my session and take in some extra BCAAs while lifting and after my session I either have a protein shake or 16 oz of chocolate milk.

I plan on staying 198 as long as my body feels like it, I don't really have to cut for more than a day to make 198 so going 220 full time is not really necessary at this point. I hope to reset every record I possibly can at 198 and then aim for the 220s but I don't see myself wanting to go much bigger, I like to maintain my athleticism and I think with my frame much over 220 would start to get uncomfortable.

I do a lot of mobility work on off days and will be making a video in the near future going over my recovery days and pre gym rituals. Conditioning wise I run sheiko style training which conditions you pretty well in it's own right. But I also run stairs, row, and train strongman events once a week

My current training system has me training 4 days a week.
Sunday: Sheiko: bench squat bench
Tuesday: Sheiko: Dead bench dead
Thursday:Sheiko: squat bench squat
Friday: strongman events, shoulder and deadlift accessories

DBasler wrote:
Strong work Ben, I will be following. Since your a humble guy I'm going to try to help you out on the numerous sponsorship questins.

If you are 22-years-old with world class strength for your weight class and the potential to break many records and be considered one of the best ever and are also well spoken then you will get sponsors.

If you are like the rest of us you had better be lifting and/or competing because you love it not because you are going to ever make money from it. Just consider yourself lucky that as hobbies go powerlifting is a pretty inexpensive and rewarding one.


Thank you for this, I really do get the question a lot and feel like I want to help people but it really comes down to a big combination of hard work, excellence in your field, and luck of the draw. Again I appreciate it !

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

BigRedMachine87
Level 3

Join date: Nov 2010
Posts: 338

I decided to do some paused squats, wanted to talk to you about them. I would really like any productive information you might have to give. How often to do them, how long to pause, just anything.

I have only done them a few times and just kind of made up my own work out. I wanted to get 80% of my max in there for some pauses.

45x5
135x5
185x3
225x3
275x2
325x2x2
315x2
225x3

I know that's pretty random. It felt good though. I was sore from it the next day. I probably should have done lower weight and more reps. But just wanted to ask you to talk about pause squats. And if you want to go into paused bench too, I won't get mad. Thanks

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

yolo84
Level

Join date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1436

BigBen198 wrote:


thanks for the response.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

BigBen198
Level

Join date: Jul 2011
Posts: 564

Got called into work today on not enough sleep. tough squat session today, but made it through

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

ChrisH19
Level

Join date: Nov 2011
Posts: 53

Definitely following.

Ben, would you mind sharing what program you found most effective before Sheiko?

Very, very inspiring stuff here.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next Last