The Intelligent & Relentless Pursuit of Muscle™
Over 35 Lifter
 
Sex, Squats, and Rock 'n Roll
 

SteelyD
Level 4

Join date: Jun 2007
Posts: 12077

Brother Chris wrote:
SteelyD wrote:
Squats
135x10
225x12
315x8
405x5, x5


When I grow up, I want to be just like you.

Good luck on the progress stuff.


HA! Thanks for checking in!

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Brother Chris
Level 2

Join date: May 2005
Posts: 17056

SteelyD wrote:
Brother Chris wrote:
SteelyD wrote:
Squats
135x10
225x12
315x8
405x5, x5


When I grow up, I want to be just like you.

Good luck on the progress stuff.


HA! Thanks for checking in!


No problem. I usually just lurk. Figured I'd actually talk to people, now.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

SteelyD
Level 4

Join date: Jun 2007
Posts: 12077

My back is acting up after loading up this week.

Went to the gym but just did hang stretches, planks, and hip mobility stuff. Hard to get up from sitting or lying down.

Lots of Advil. Hopefully better for tomorrow.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

ecogenx
Level 1

Join date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4669

SteelyD wrote:
My back is acting up after loading up this week.

Went to the gym but just did hang stretches, planks, and hip mobility stuff. Hard to get up from sitting or lying down.

Lots of Advil. Hopefully better for tomorrow.

Hope the back feels better. Mine has been aching with heavy squatting. I may try a front squat/trap bar deads cycle to give the back a break.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

SteelyD
Level 4

Join date: Jun 2007
Posts: 12077

ecogenx wrote:
SteelyD wrote:
My back is acting up after loading up this week.

Went to the gym but just did hang stretches, planks, and hip mobility stuff. Hard to get up from sitting or lying down.

Lots of Advil. Hopefully better for tomorrow.

Hope the back feels better. Mine has been aching with heavy squatting. I may try a front squat/trap bar deads cycle to give the back a break.


With me it's definitely related to frequency of loading my back. Sunday doing rack pulls I felt it start to stiffen up and feel tweaky. I probably shouldn't have squatted this week.

I'll learn someday ;)

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

ecogenx
Level 1

Join date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4669

SteelyD wrote:
ecogenx wrote:
SteelyD wrote:
My back is acting up after loading up this week.

Went to the gym but just did hang stretches, planks, and hip mobility stuff. Hard to get up from sitting or lying down.

Lots of Advil. Hopefully better for tomorrow.

Hope the back feels better. Mine has been aching with heavy squatting. I may try a front squat/trap bar deads cycle to give the back a break.


With me it's definitely related to frequency of loading my back. Sunday doing rack pulls I felt it start to stiffen up and feel tweaky. I probably shouldn't have squatted this week.

I'll learn someday ;)

No you (we) won't.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Derek542
Level 5

Join date: Oct 2002
Posts: 12821

ecogenx wrote:
SteelyD wrote:
ecogenx wrote:
SteelyD wrote:
My back is acting up after loading up this week.

Went to the gym but just did hang stretches, planks, and hip mobility stuff. Hard to get up from sitting or lying down.

Lots of Advil. Hopefully better for tomorrow.

Hope the back feels better. Mine has been aching with heavy squatting. I may try a front squat/trap bar deads cycle to give the back a break.


With me it's definitely related to frequency of loading my back. Sunday doing rack pulls I felt it start to stiffen up and feel tweaky. I probably shouldn't have squatted this week.

I'll learn someday ;)

No you (we) won't.


X 2 we forget so easily

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

JoeGood
Level

Join date: Jun 2007
Posts: 8897

SteelyD wrote:
ecogenx wrote:
SteelyD wrote:
My back is acting up after loading up this week.

Went to the gym but just did hang stretches, planks, and hip mobility stuff. Hard to get up from sitting or lying down.

Lots of Advil. Hopefully better for tomorrow.

Hope the back feels better. Mine has been aching with heavy squatting. I may try a front squat/trap bar deads cycle to give the back a break.


With me it's definitely related to frequency of loading my back. Sunday doing rack pulls I felt it start to stiffen up and feel tweaky. I probably shouldn't have squatted this week.

I'll learn someday ;)



Eat more instead.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

SteelyD
Level 4

Join date: Jun 2007
Posts: 12077

Lite (Volume) Arms

Incl Bench: 5 sets, top 275x6, x4 (+3 assist)

DB Hammer Curl: 6 sets x 12-6

Dips: BWx18, +25x12, +50x8, x5, +25x5

Cable Pr. Curls: 5 sets x 15-10

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

SteelyD
Level 4

Join date: Jun 2007
Posts: 12077

Back/Misc

Cable Low Rows: 7 sets 15-5 reps, wide neutral grip, +2 sets close grip

Lat pullover machine: 4 sets x 10-8

Cable lat pulldown: Close Grip 3 sets x 12-10 + 3 sets wide neut. grp

45deg Calf Machine: 5 sets 12-8 reps

Ham. Curls: 3 sets x 10

Cable Pr. Biceps curls wide grip: 5 sets x 15-10

Lots of hanging/stretching. Many BW squats between sets. Back still feeling all fucked up. Popped a percocet this evening then went candlepin bowling with the kids lol (I didn't drive).

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

SteelyD
Level 4

Join date: Jun 2007
Posts: 12077

Bench:
135x10
225x10
255x3
300x3
345x4 (+1 assist) -- Rep PR

Foam Press
385x2 (+1 assist)
405x1 (+2 assist)

Superset CGBP ( 1/2 Foam --> Full foam)
275x10 --> x5
315x6 --> x3 (+2 assist)
315x3 --> x1 (+ 1 assist)

Dips
BW x 6 sets x 15-8 reps

##
Back (well, hip) is still really tight. Bench felt fine but couldn't sit up off the bench. Loading plates hurt more than benching....

CGBP: did first set with 1/2 foam, racked, changed to full foam and continued.

First time I've held 405 in my hand. Felt great rowing it down to the foam and pushing off. 1st rep was great, then the second rep was a grinder third rep was crazy (finger spots from spotter).

I'm going to keep doing these to get used to moving the 405 lower and lower. I remember doing this with 315 lol. Just holding it in my hands was a mental hurdle that I'm past now.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

hel320
Level 1

Join date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3873

First time over a century mark sure brings that feeling of accomplishment. You're right about the mental hurdle. Once you're past that, it's a lot easier. And I remember you shooting for 315, which you're now using for cgbp. Outstanding progress.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

SteelyD
Level 4

Join date: Jun 2007
Posts: 12077

hel320 wrote:
First time over a century mark sure brings that feeling of accomplishment. You're right about the mental hurdle. Once you're past that, it's a lot easier. And I remember you shooting for 315, which you're now using for cgbp. Outstanding progress.


Thanks, Hel! I really appreciate that.

I still get nervous with 405 on my shoulders for squatting, let alone laying underneath it.. LOL!

Slow and steady wins the race.. I hope to be repping this stuff out eventually ...

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Up
Level 3

Join date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1454

All this back talk gets my attention now that i had my back all cramped up. I see you took stuff for it.
Do you also stretch "everything" out? I feel like a human coil now. I stretch it out, feel all loosey goosey
then train, then BAM, tight again. Not as bad, and i can sit without pain. Im worried once this back thing happens were stuck with it.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

SteelyD
Level 4

Join date: Jun 2007
Posts: 12077

Up wrote:
All this back talk gets my attention now that i had my back all cramped up. I see you took stuff for it.
Do you also stretch "everything" out? I feel like a human coil now. I stretch it out, feel all loosey goosey
then train, then BAM, tight again. Not as bad, and i can sit without pain. Im worried once this back thing happens were stuck with it.


'Sup Up?

It's a daily thing I deal with. Even on good days, my lower back and hips are tight. I 'hang stretch' a lot. Anything that I can do to decompress. I do mobility stuff most days-- hip and back.

My worst problem is I sit all day. Probably the worst thing a human can do, and especially with a sticky hip and back.

I don't deadlift any more and rack pulls still hurt me the full week.

I don't like taking anything but I do keep a stock of NSAIDs for when it acts up.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Brother Chris
Level 2

Join date: May 2005
Posts: 17056

I have the hot baby oil for the back, who wants a massage?















No one...?

P.S. What is the foam press?

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

SteelyD
Level 4

Join date: Jun 2007
Posts: 12077

Brother Chris wrote:

P.S. What is the foam press?


It's like a board press.

Full foam (6"?) is close to a 3-board press, but it gives a bit more.

Half foam looks like s "D" in cross-section and is more like somewhere between a 1 and 2 board press.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

SteelyD
Level 4

Join date: Jun 2007
Posts: 12077

Last night went into gym to just do biceps because back/hip is still tweaky. Can't really bend over or stand up quickly.

Ended up doing a lot of foam rolling, stretching and hanging. Still tight. Even holding the 25's out in front of me for curls was uncomfortable. Walked the track for a bit then left.

#

Alternated ice and heating pad. Alternated Aleve and Doan's.

Chiro this AM.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Edgy
Level 2

Join date: Feb 2007
Posts: 10849

SteelyD wrote:

Alternated ice and heating pad. Alternated Aleve and Doan's.

Chiro this AM.



it's hell to get old, but you're still hitting prs, and making it to the gym - thats all good shit~

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

SteelyD
Level 4

Join date: Jun 2007
Posts: 12077

Just got back from chiro.

Sticky hip, tight quadratus laborum, out of alignment.

It's a mess down there!

Pop! Snap! Then under the electric for 10 mins.

Still tight. Go again Friday.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Brother Chris
Level 2

Join date: May 2005
Posts: 17056

SteelyD wrote:
Brother Chris wrote:

P.S. What is the foam press?


It's like a board press.

Full foam (6"?) is close to a 3-board press, but it gives a bit more.

Half foam looks like s "D" in cross-section and is more like somewhere between a 1 and 2 board press.


The rowing thing got me.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

SteelyD
Level 4

Join date: Jun 2007
Posts: 12077

Douchebag Workout (aka Biceps):

DB Hammer Curlzzz: 6 sets x 10-6

EZ Bar Preacher Curls: 5 sets x 10-5

Low Cable Curls (in toward chest): 4 sets x 12-8

Cable Rope Curls: 4 sets x 15-10

Dips: 3 sets x 12-8

Roll around on mat and bosu ball like crippled whale

Back still hurts but loosening up. Been doing "quadratus lumborus(sp?)" stretches and popping Aleve all day.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

SteelyD
Level 4

Join date: Jun 2007
Posts: 12077

I've been looping this all morning.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

ecogenx
Level 1

Join date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4669

Glad your back is starting to loosen up. The sitting all day thing is a bitch when your low back aches. Have a great weekend and feel better.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

SteelyD
Level 4

Join date: Jun 2007
Posts: 12077

ecogenx wrote:
Glad your back is starting to loosen up. The sitting all day thing is a bitch when your low back aches. Have a great weekend and feel better.


Thanks! You too brother!

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report