The Intelligent & Relentless Pursuit of Muscle™
Over 35 Lifter
 
Masters Lifting Class: Here I Come!
 

biggjames
Level 4

Join date: Oct 2002
Location: Montana, USA
Posts: 1048

OK, so my 43rd birthday is Sunday and I felt I needed some inspiration and motivation; I purchased a new toy for my training, a Rogue Fitness 10" Diameter Log.

My review:
I am impressed with the overall construction. The web site stated that it should weigh in at 65 pounds, but mine weighs 72 pounds. No complaints there. The handles are a little wider apart than what I am used to (26" compared to 24"). The handles are a little thicker also. Rogue did a very good job with the double wall construction where the sleeves are welded in to the log itself. The sleeves are plenty long enough to load weight and the new lock-jaw collars work really well in keeping the plates on. The finish is more of a dark gray powder coat with "Rogue" laser cut into the log, kind of cool. I had a great training session tonight with my new toy and I look forward to more in the future.

06/11/2013
Log Work
Log Clean and Presses For Reps: 72x10, 102x5, 122x5
Log One Clean with Presses For Reps: 152x5, 172x5, 192x1 (I was really huffing and puffing after these, feels great!)
Side Laterals: 25x10, 30x10, 35x10
Log Shrugs: 192x3x10
Close-Grip BP: 45x10, 135x10, 225x2x10
Fat Bar Tricep Pushdowns: 30x10, 75x10, 100x10

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

biggjames
Level 4

Join date: Oct 2002
Location: Montana, USA
Posts: 1048

06/16/2013
43rd Birthday!

BP: 45x12, 135x10, 225x6, 315x3, 350x1
Log Incline Press: 72x10, 97x10, 167x10, 217x8
Cable X-Overs: 45x10, 90x2x10

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Heracles_rocks
Level 2

Join date: Dec 2008
Location: Montana, USA
Posts: 3503

Happy Belated Birthday James.

Gotta say the log press looks fun, keep at it.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

biggjames
Level 4

Join date: Oct 2002
Location: Montana, USA
Posts: 1048

Thanks Tyler!

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

biggjames
Level 4

Join date: Oct 2002
Location: Montana, USA
Posts: 1048

July 3, 2013
Squats: 45x10, 135x3x10
Deads: 135x10, 225x3x6

That is all!

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

barryjenkins00
Level

Join date: Jun 2006
Location: Missouri, USA
Posts: 913

biggjames wrote:
July 3, 2013
Squats: 45x10, 135x3x10
Deads: 135x10, 225x3x6

That is all!

Been looking for your post. Hope you don't mind something from an old friend. God bless and train hard and heavy.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

biggjames
Level 4

Join date: Oct 2002
Location: Montana, USA
Posts: 1048

Nice work, Big Man!

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

hel320
Level 1

Join date: Nov 2007
Location: Alabama, USA
Posts: 3871

BIG James and Barry on the same page. My day's made. You two are still monsters.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

biggjames
Level 4

Join date: Oct 2002
Location: Montana, USA
Posts: 1048

Thank you, HEL320!

08/08/2013

Warm-Up: Treadmill 10 minutes
BP: 45x15, 135x10, 225x8, 285x6, 297.5x4, 310x2
Dumbbell Curls: 25x10, 35x10, 45x10, 50x8

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

biggjames
Level 4

Join date: Oct 2002
Location: Montana, USA
Posts: 1048

http://www.T-Nation.com/...mplexes&cr=

Complex A
Rows: 8x45, 8x65, 8x85
Cleans: 8x45, 8x65, 8x85
Front Squats: 8x45, 8x65, 8x85
Military Press: 8x45, 8x65, 8x85
Back Squats: 8x45, 8x65, 8x85
Good Mornings: 8x45, 8x65, 8x85

I like these a lot. I will have to do more in the future and try to increase the weight as I go.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

viper0213
Level

Join date: Dec 2008
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Posts: 114

biggjames wrote:
OK, so my 43rd birthday is Sunday and I felt I needed some inspiration and motivation; I purchased a new toy for my training, a Rogue Fitness 10" Diameter Log.

My review:
I am impressed with the overall construction. The web site stated that it should weigh in at 65 pounds, but mine weighs 72 pounds. No complaints there. The handles are a little wider apart than what I am used to (26" compared to 24"). The handles are a little thicker also. Rogue did a very good job with the double wall construction where the sleeves are welded in to the log itself. The sleeves are plenty long enough to load weight and the new lock-jaw collars work really well in keeping the plates on. The finish is more of a dark gray powder coat with "Rogue" laser cut into the log, kind of cool. I had a great training session tonight with my new toy and I look forward to more in the future.

06/11/2013
Log Work
Log Clean and Presses For Reps: 72x10, 102x5, 122x5
Log One Clean with Presses For Reps: 152x5, 172x5, 192x1 (I was really huffing and puffing after these, feels great!)
Side Laterals: 25x10, 30x10, 35x10
Log Shrugs: 192x3x10
Close-Grip BP: 45x10, 135x10, 225x2x10
Fat Bar Tricep Pushdowns: 30x10, 75x10, 100x10



Love the ROGUE log. I was torn between that one and the OAK JR or SR. The one yoiu have has ROGUE etched in and is much lighter and can have weight added as a plus. Happy Belated Birthday. I turned 40, this year, JUNE 22.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

biggjames
Level 4

Join date: Oct 2002
Location: Montana, USA
Posts: 1048

viper0213 wrote:
biggjames wrote:
OK, so my 43rd birthday is Sunday and I felt I needed some inspiration and motivation; I purchased a new toy for my training, a Rogue Fitness 10" Diameter Log.

My review:
I am impressed with the overall construction. The web site stated that it should weigh in at 65 pounds, but mine weighs 72 pounds. No complaints there. The handles are a little wider apart than what I am used to (26" compared to 24"). The handles are a little thicker also. Rogue did a very good job with the double wall construction where the sleeves are welded in to the log itself. The sleeves are plenty long enough to load weight and the new lock-jaw collars work really well in keeping the plates on. The finish is more of a dark gray powder coat with "Rogue" laser cut into the log, kind of cool. I had a great training session tonight with my new toy and I look forward to more in the future.

06/11/2013
Log Work
Log Clean and Presses For Reps: 72x10, 102x5, 122x5
Log One Clean with Presses For Reps: 152x5, 172x5, 192x1 (I was really huffing and puffing after these, feels great!)
Side Laterals: 25x10, 30x10, 35x10
Log Shrugs: 192x3x10
Close-Grip BP: 45x10, 135x10, 225x2x10
Fat Bar Tricep Pushdowns: 30x10, 75x10, 100x10



Love the ROGUE log. I was torn between that one and the OAK JR or SR. The one yoiu have has ROGUE etched in and is much lighter and can have weight added as a plus. Happy Belated Birthday. I turned 40, this year, JUNE 22.


A Happy Belated Birthday to you! I do enjoy my log. I used to have a custom one that was built for me when I competed and promoted contests. But as I got older a 240# log, bare was just a little bit too much. Yeah getting old sucks. With the new one I can have others use it and I can get my strongman training fix.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

biggjames
Level 4

Join date: Oct 2002
Location: Montana, USA
Posts: 1048

08/13/2013
BP: 45x12, 135x10, 225x8, 275x6, 297.5x4, 320x2
DL: 135x10, 225x8, 315x6, 360x4, 405x2
Cable X-Overs: 45x10, 90x10, 100x10
Lat Pulldowns: Front: 120x10, 210x8, 230x8

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

biggjames
Level 4

Join date: Oct 2002
Location: Montana, USA
Posts: 1048

08/18/2013
BP: 45x10, 135x10, 225x8, 275x6, 305x4, 330x2
DL: 135x10, 225x8, 315x6, 375x4, 430x2
Log: 1 Clean and then presses for reps: 72x10, 122x8, 162x6, 192x4, 222x2

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

biggjames
Level 4

Join date: Oct 2002
Location: Montana, USA
Posts: 1048

08/25/2013

Gold's Gym: San Antonio, TX

Warm-UP: Treadmill: 10 minutes
BP: 135x10, 225x8, 275x6, 305x4, 330x5 All Paused
DL: 135x10, 225x8, 315x6 My lower back pumped up really good and was almost too painful so I stopped there.
Cable Cross X-Over: 75x10, 100x10, 120x10
Low Pulley Rows: 120x10, 205x10, 245x10
Lat Pulldowns: Front: 120x10, 205x10, 220x10

I have two more days of work here and then I head back to Montana on Wednesday. Next month I will be in Union,MO for another job and I will need a place to train.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

doublelung84
Level 1

Join date: Mar 2012
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Posts: 1046

Hay Big Guy,

Are you planning on entering any comps anytime soon?

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

biggjames
Level 4

Join date: Oct 2002
Location: Montana, USA
Posts: 1048

Maybe next year. I would like to compete in strongman as a master. I just have to see how the training goes.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

biggjames
Level 4

Join date: Oct 2002
Location: Montana, USA
Posts: 1048

Week 36
09/02/2013

Warm-Up: Treadmill: 15 Minutes
Chest:
BP: 45x15, 135x10, 225x8, 275x6, 315x4, 350x2
Cable X-Overs: 45x10, 90x10, 100x10
Treadmill: 15 Minutes
Walking at my tread desk. Makes it a little harder to type. But hey it is my gym and I can do what I want to.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

hel320
Level 1

Join date: Nov 2007
Location: Alabama, USA
Posts: 3871

biggjames wrote:
But hey it is my gym and I can do what I want to.

Best line of the week. Strong as ever biggun.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

biggjames
Level 4

Join date: Oct 2002
Location: Montana, USA
Posts: 1048

LOL! I am glad you liked it!

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

biggjames
Level 4

Join date: Oct 2002
Location: Montana, USA
Posts: 1048

OK, T-Nation is messing with me. They send me a coupon for 15% off in the store, I go to buy and they are out of Grow!. C'mon Guys!

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

biggjames
Level 4

Join date: Oct 2002
Location: Montana, USA
Posts: 1048

09/07/2013

Warm up: Treadmill: Half a mile
BP: 45x10, 135x10, 225x8, 275x6, 320x4, 365x2
DL: 135x10, 225x8, 315x6, 405x4, 500x2
Cool Down: Treadmill: Half a mile

This was a rough week. I had to get my blood drawn for my condition and usually the day after I am beat and worn down. This time it really hit me all week.

I normally do not video my lifts, but I thought this time what the hell!

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

biggjames
Level 4

Join date: Oct 2002
Location: Montana, USA
Posts: 1048

Deads!

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

biggjames
Level 4

Join date: Oct 2002
Location: Montana, USA
Posts: 1048

09/11/2013

Warm Up: Treadmill: 15 minutes
Shoulders and Arms:
OHP: 45x10, 95x10, 135x8, 155x6, 175x4, 195x2
Front Raise: 15x10, 20x10, 25x10
Side Laterals: 15x10, 25x10, 30x8
Rear Delt Raise: 15x10, 20x10, 25x10
Bicep Curls: 25x10, 35x10 45x8
Hammer Preacher Curls: 45x10, 70x2x8
Tricep Rope Push-downs: 52.5x10, 60x10, 80x10
Angled Close Grip Push-Ups: BWTx16, BWTx12, BWTx10

I am training again on the road. This time I trained at a facility here in Union, Missouri called The Competitive Edge. http://tcefitness.com/
It is a very complete facility and the equipment is top notch. The best part was the signs that said "No Curling In The Squat Rack".

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report