Building High-Performance Muscle™
Over 35 Lifter
 
2busy's Training Log of Solitude
 

2busy
Level 4

Join date: Mar 2011
Location: Nebraska, USA
Posts: 4945

Friday - 03/21/2014 - Hockey

League game - 1 Hour.

A 3-1 loss.

Legs were really sore.

  Report
 

2busy
Level 4

Join date: Mar 2011
Location: Nebraska, USA
Posts: 4945

Monday - 03/24/2014 - 531 - C13W3 - Squat and Bench

Squats

115 lbs x 5
140 lbs x 5
170 lbs x 3
210 lbs x 5
240 lbs x 3
270 lbs x 4

Bench Press

85 lbs x 5
110 lbs x 5
130 lbs x 3
160 lbs x 5
180 lbs x 3
205 lbs x 4

Neutral Grip Pull Ups

8, 9, 9, 6 = 32

Supersetted with Back Raises

25 lbs x 15 x 4 sets

Lat Pull Downs

170 lbs x 10 x 2 sets
180 lbs x 10

Dumbbell Bench Press

2 x 75 lbs x 10 x 3 sets

Supersetted with Rear Lat Raises

2 x 20 lbs x 20 x 2 sets
2 x 25 lbs x 20

Legs still feel beat but taking a couple of days off and the lack of refereeing hockey on the weekends seem to be helping them.

  Report
 

minimaltechno
Level 1

Join date: Jun 2011
Location:
Posts: 1550

Oh the aches and pains of life :-) I think you passed on your elbow ache to me, went swimming and it kind of hurt.

  Report
 

2busy
Level 4

Join date: Mar 2011
Location: Nebraska, USA
Posts: 4945

minimaltechno wrote:
Oh the aches and pains of life :-) I think you passed on your elbow ache to me, went swimming and it kind of hurt.


I didn't mean too :(

I still have it, been working on stretching.

  Report
 

2busy
Level 4

Join date: Mar 2011
Location: Nebraska, USA
Posts: 4945

So...

Tuesday - 1 hour Hockey scrimmage
Wednesday - 1 hour skating lessons, 1 hour Hockey scrimmage
No goal scoring to speak of, Close, but that doesn't count...

Thursday - minimal lift because I had work to do in the evening

531 C13 W3 Deadlifts and Military Press

120 lbs x 5
150 lbs x 5
180 lbs x 3
225 lbs x 5
255 lbs x 3
285 lbs x 8 - Rep PR

Military Press

55 lbs x 5
70 lbs x 5
85 lbs x 3
105 lbs x 5
120 lbs x 3
135 lbs x 2 - Rep PR

  Report
 

2busy
Level 4

Join date: Mar 2011
Location: Nebraska, USA
Posts: 4945

Catching up.

03/29/2014 - Hockey. Refereed two league games

03/30/2014 - Hockey. Team lost 2-0. Again I had my chances, still not quite there on the finish to score.

04/01/2014 - 531 C14W1 - Squat and Bench

Squats

120 lbs x 5
145 lbs x 5
175 lbs x 3
190 lbs x 5
220 lbs x 5
245 lbs x 8

Bench Press

90 lbs x 5
110 lbs x 5
130 lbs x 3
145 lbs x 5
165 lbs x 5
185 lbs x 7

Felt dead and pain in right elbow, skipped accessory work. Apparently I have golfer's elbow.

  Report
 

2busy
Level 4

Join date: Mar 2011
Location: Nebraska, USA
Posts: 4945

04/02/2014 - Hockey

Hockey skating lesson - 1 hour
Scrimmage - 1 hour.

Finally scored. A decent one-timer on a good goalie. After missing four decent chances where I couldn't put the puck on the net.

  Report
 

2busy
Level 4

Join date: Mar 2011
Location: Nebraska, USA
Posts: 4945

Thursday - 04/03/2014 - 531 - C14W1

Deadlifts

125 lbs x 5
155 lbs x 5
185 lbs x 3
200 lbs x 5
230 lbs x 5
265 lbs x 21 - Rep PR @265

Military Press

60 lbs x 5
75 lbs x 5
90 lbs x 3
95 lbs x 5
110 lbs x 5
125 lbs x 5

Dumbbell Rows

90 lbs x 10 x 3 sets

Supersetted with Weighted Dips

25 lbs x 10 X 3 sets

Military Press/Good Morning/Cable Curl Superset

MP 85 lbs x 10 x 3 sets
GM 85 lbs x 10 x 3 sets
CC 110 lbs x 8, 90 lbs x 10, 100 lbs x 10 - right elbow hurt a lot.

  Report
 

2busy
Level 4

Join date: Mar 2011
Location: Nebraska, USA
Posts: 4945

Friday - 04/05/2014 - Hockey

So I'm getting my gear ready and I discovered...

Fortunately I was able to move the blades over from my old skates.

Substituted in a game before mine, was able to sort out the 'kinks'

League game ended in a 1-1 tie.

  Report
 

kpsnap
Level

Join date: Feb 2010
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 6843

Love all the hockey talk since my son plays.

Looks like 531 is treating you well with that rep PR. Cannot imagine pulling 21 deads, though. You must have your maxes set low!

  Report
 

minimaltechno
Level 1

Join date: Jun 2011
Location:
Posts: 1550

kpsnap wrote:
Love all the hockey talk since my son plays.


It's like geometry meets quantum physics with some good old fashion violence thrown in :-) Or maybe I've had a bit too much wine.

  Report
 

2busy
Level 4

Join date: Mar 2011
Location: Nebraska, USA
Posts: 4945

minimaltechno wrote:
kpsnap wrote:
Love all the hockey talk since my son plays.


It's like geometry meets quantum physics with some good old fashion violence thrown in :-) Or maybe I've had a bit too much wine.



Or it could just be...

  Report
 

2busy
Level 4

Join date: Mar 2011
Location: Nebraska, USA
Posts: 4945

kpsnap wrote:
Love all the hockey talk since my son plays.

Looks like 531 is treating you well with that rep PR. Cannot imagine pulling 21 deads, though. You must have your maxes set low!


Thanks, KP!

The training maxes seem pretty spot on. I just have been doing well with the deadlifts.

The next couple of cycles will be interesting as I am getting close to my pr's on all the main four lifts.

It's about to just not be only rep pr's... :)

  Report
 

2busy
Level 4

Join date: Mar 2011
Location: Nebraska, USA
Posts: 4945

Monday - 04/07/2014 - 531 - C14W2 - Squat and Bench

Squats

120 lbs x 5
145 lbs x 5
175 lbs x 3
205 lbs x 3
235 lbs x 3
260 lbs x 0 - Went down and forward, bailed to the bars.
260 lbs x 5 - reset and did my 3+

Bench Press

90 lbs x 5
110 lbs x 5
130 lbs x 3
155 lbs x 3
175 lbs x 3
195 lbs x 5

Neutral Grip Pull Ups

8, 10, 10 = 28 - Right elbow really hurt.

Supersetted with Back Raises

35 lbs x 15 x 3 sets

Dumbbell Bench Press

2 x 75 lbs x 10 x 2 sets
2 x 80 lbs x 10

Supersetted with Rear Lat Raises

2 x 25 lbs x 20 x 3 sets

  Report
 

2busy
Level 4

Join date: Mar 2011
Location: Nebraska, USA
Posts: 4945

Tuesday - 04-08-2014 Hockey

Adult Skills camp - 1 hour
Scrimmage - 1 hour

My feet cramped after skills camp. Maybe it was the suicide time spent going clockwise around the rink for the last 3 minutes of camp.

After my feet recovered I did the usual scrimmage

  Report
 

late2thegame
Level 3

Join date: Apr 2011
Location: North Carolina, USA
Posts: 421

2busy wrote:
kpsnap wrote:

Looks like 531 is treating you well with that rep PR. Cannot imagine pulling 21 deads, though. You must have your maxes set low!


Thanks, KP!

The training maxes seem pretty spot on.


If I could weigh in (and don't take this the wrong way) I would disagree. Your weights are dialed in on 5/3/1 when you're able to do the prescribed reps for the session and *MAYBE* on or two more reps on the last set. If you're pulling 21 deadlift reps you're nowhere near having your maxes set properly. Not to mention if you look at prilepins chart that kind of rep scheme doesn't really fit well anywhere for myofibrillar hypertrophy (assuming that's your goal if you're doing 5/3/1).

  Report
 

2busy
Level 4

Join date: Mar 2011
Location: Nebraska, USA
Posts: 4945

late2thegame wrote:
2busy wrote:
kpsnap wrote:

Looks like 531 is treating you well with that rep PR. Cannot imagine pulling 21 deads, though. You must have your maxes set low!


Thanks, KP!

The training maxes seem pretty spot on.


If I could weigh in (and don't take this the wrong way) I would disagree. Your weights are dialed in on 5/3/1 when you're able to do the prescribed reps for the session and *MAYBE* on or two more reps on the last set. If you're pulling 21 deadlift reps you're nowhere near having your maxes set properly. Not to mention if you look at prilepins chart that kind of rep scheme doesn't really fit well anywhere for myofibrillar hypertrophy (assuming that's your goal if you're doing 5/3/1).


My "training" max for deads is at 340, 531 training max (-10%) is 306 this cycle.

I wasn't able to pull 345 or 335 for a single a cycle or so ago.

I'll just keep adding 10 lbs more on the legs every cycle until I hit a wall.

As for the reps... it seems to be helping my skating for hockey.



I'm not going to rush it and will add 10 lbs per cycle on the legs until I finally hit the wall.

  Report
 

2busy
Level 4

Join date: Mar 2011
Location: Nebraska, USA
Posts: 4945

Tuesday - 04/08/2014 - Hockey

Adult Skills Camp - 1 hour
Scrimmage - 1 hour

The Adult Skills camp is a four month long training camp ran by two former NHL/AHL players who run the AAA Hockey program in town

At the end I'll play in a game with current and former NHL/College D1 players.

Basically I get a powerskating/skills workout.

My feet cramped at the end of the class.

  Report
 

2busy
Level 4

Join date: Mar 2011
Location: Nebraska, USA
Posts: 4945

Wednesday - 04/10/2014 - Hockey

Hockey skating class - 1 hour
Scrimmage - 1 hour

My legs felt dead.

Set up a nice assist by poking the puck off of a U-16 AAA players stick behind his net and feeding a pass to my winger in front of the net.

  Report
 

2busy
Level 4

Join date: Mar 2011
Location: Nebraska, USA
Posts: 4945

Thursday - 04/10/2014 - 531 C14W2 Deadlifts/Military Press

Deadlifts

125 lbs x 5
155 lbs x 5
185 lbs x 3
225 lbs x 3
245 lbs x 3
280 lbs x 5 - That's all I had this night.

Military Press

60 lbs x 5
75 lbs x 5
90 lbs x 3
105 lbs x 3
120 lbs x 3
130 lbs x 1 - Not the three I needed. Made it about halfway up on rep 2 and that was it.

Sauna and hot tub. I felt drained.

  Report
 

minimaltechno
Level 1

Join date: Jun 2011
Location:
Posts: 1550

2busy wrote:
poking the puck off of a U-16 AAA players stick behind his net and feeding a pass to my winger in front of the net.


Ha ha, and I thought oly lifts can sound dirty. Anyway you must have some tough ankles after doing the lifting and all that skating.

  Report
 

2busy
Level 4

Join date: Mar 2011
Location: Nebraska, USA
Posts: 4945

minimaltechno wrote:
2busy wrote:
poking the puck off of a U-16 AAA players stick behind his net and feeding a pass to my winger in front of the net.


Ha ha, and I thought oly lifts can sound dirty. Anyway you must have some tough ankles after doing the lifting and all that skating.


You and your dirty lifts, lol.


  Report
 

2busy
Level 4

Join date: Mar 2011
Location: Nebraska, USA
Posts: 4945

04/13/2014 - Hockey

League game - 1 hour - 1-1 tie with the top team in our division.
League game - 1 hour - subbed in game 3 hours later for a team that was short handed.
Played defense for a change, gamed ended in a 3-2 loss.

  Report