The Intelligent & Relentless Pursuit of Muscle™
Beginners
 
Weighted Vest & 531
1
 

wildcat09
Level

Join date: Feb 2010
Posts: 46

My 75-lb vest was delivered today; and more importantly, I start a fresh cycle of 531 on Monday. I wanted to implement the vest in my training routine. I already use a belt to do 3 X 8 with 90 lbs on dips and 4 X 7-8 with 45 on chin-ups. So basically, I'm not sure how useful the vest would be on dips. But push-ups, pull-ups, single-leg squats, jumps, fat-man pull-ups, walking, weighted bear crawls could all certainly work (I think).

My question is: any thoughts on how to implement the vest in my training routine (i.e. circuits, types of exercises, a progression scheme)? I'm really looking forward to using the vest; but like the 531 philosophy advocates, I'm looking for a good way to progress week-to-week with the vest.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

JFG
Level 4

Join date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1767

I use it for conditioning. Wear it while walking the dogs.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

wildcat09
Level

Join date: Feb 2010
Posts: 46

my dog is at home, but I did want to use it for conditioning. I think it could definitely get challenging walking with with the extra weight.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

florelius
Level

Join date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3134

Why not just do the Bodywheight template with the vest?

For progression you can add weight when you are able to hit 5x10 on a excercise for example.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

panzerfaust
Level

Join date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1491

If you really feel like punishing yourself - hill sprints!

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

JayPierce
Level 1

Join date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3178

wildcat09 wrote:
My 75-lb vest was delivered today; and more importantly, I start a fresh cycle of 531 on Monday. I wanted to implement the vest in my training routine. I already use a belt to do 3 X 8 with 90 lbs on dips and 4 X 7-8 with 45 on chin-ups. So basically, I'm not sure how useful the vest would be on dips. But push-ups, pull-ups, single-leg squats, jumps, fat-man pull-ups, walking, weighted bear crawls could all certainly work (I think).

My question is: any thoughts on how to implement the vest in my training routine (i.e. circuits, types of exercises, a progression scheme)? I'm really looking forward to using the vest; but like the 531 philosophy advocates, I'm looking for a good way to progress week-to-week with the vest.

Stick with the belt for dips and chins. Just too aggravating to change weight in the vest. It would definitely work well for bodyweight-type circuits. I plan to use it for that when I diet.

Right now I only use mine for walking. I have progressed all the way to the max 85lbs for a mile and a half in thirty minutes on hilly terrain. Definitely will toughen you up a bit if nothing else. Every time I bumped the weight up, I'd be sore in the hips and upper traps for a few days.

As for a progression, just keep it simple. Take any circuit, start with just the vest shell, and add a weight pack every workout until you can't complete the circuit. Then back up three or four steps (or ten, whatever) and try to get to a higher weight on the next progression. You could also just stick with your top weight until you complete the circuit, and then bump it up one more notch, etc...

Another way to use it is for barbell complexes. Wearing the vest will add more weight to your lower body movements.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

JLone
Level 3

Join date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2169

wildcat09 wrote:
My 75-lb vest was delivered today; ... weighted bear crawls

Watch out with the weighted bear crawls. It looks cool in movies but you can break bones in your wrist and screw up your shoulder.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

JayPierce
Level 1

Join date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3178

JLone wrote:
wildcat09 wrote:
My 75-lb vest was delivered today; ... weighted bear crawls

Watch out with the weighted bear crawls. It looks cool in movies but you can break bones in your wrist and screw up your shoulder.

Oof... sounds like the voice of experience. How'd it happen?

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

mkral55
Level 2

Join date: May 2010
Posts: 870

panzerfaust wrote:
If you really feel like punishing yourself - hill sprints!


I just puked in my mouth a little bit..

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

JLone
Level 3

Join date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2169

JayPierce wrote:
JLone wrote:
wildcat09 wrote:
My 75-lb vest was delivered today; ... weighted bear crawls

Watch out with the weighted bear crawls. It looks cool in movies but you can break bones in your wrist and screw up your shoulder.

Oof... sounds like the voice of experience. How'd it happen?

I saw it happen to a friend. Bear crawls in full pads during football season. Can't remember which bone he broke at this point. Aww.. the memories.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
1