The Intelligent & Relentless Pursuit of Muscle™
Beginners
 
Need Some Help - Squat Form Check
1
 

kwstas67
Level

Join date: Oct 2011
Location:
Posts: 16

I did some ATG squats today and i want your opinion on depth and form used.I hope i did it right.


  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

fr0IVIan
Level 3

Join date: Sep 2010
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 1986

they're really squats to parallel but no big deal, squatting to parallel is better than what most people do. your depth is ok, might be a smidge high in some reps but you've got the right idea.

keep your chest up.

push your knees out, they seem to cave in a bit on the way up.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

kwstas67
Level

Join date: Oct 2011
Location:
Posts: 16

fr0IVIan wrote:
they're really squats to parallel but no big deal, squatting to parallel is better than what most people do. your depth is ok, might be a smidge high in some reps but you've got the right idea.

keep your chest up.

push your knees out, they seem to cave in a bit on the way up.

thanks for your answer.how can i go atg?and i have a question.should i think butt back when i start squatting atg or just push knees out and descend in between the legs?

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Zerpp
Level

Join date: Nov 2011
Location:
Posts: 265

Just increase mobility. Because of your size I don't think you can go ATG. But yea, do some mobility work with your hamstrings and hips.

And you should always be thinking those cues. ALWAYS!

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

kwstas67
Level

Join date: Oct 2011
Location:
Posts: 16

Zerpp wrote:
Just increase mobility. Because of your size I don't think you can go ATG. But yea, do some mobility work with your hamstrings and hips.

And you should always be thinking those cues. ALWAYS!

whats wrong with my size?i thought shorter guys were supposed to hit atg easier actually...i guess i am mistaken. :(

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

kwstas67
Level

Join date: Oct 2011
Location:
Posts: 16

UPDATED!Todays first working set was this...




  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

fr0IVIan
Level 3

Join date: Sep 2010
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 1986

kwstas67 wrote:
UPDATED!Todays first working set was this...






you're still falling forward. look up when you squat, it helps to keep your chest up.


knees might be better but it's kinda hard for me to see because of your pants.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

kakno
Level

Join date: Dec 2008
Location: Sweden
Posts: 2764

kwstas67 wrote:

thanks for your answer.how can i go atg?and i have a question.should i think butt back when i start squatting atg or just push knees out and descend in between the legs?

Knees out and squat straight down if you want to go ATG. Why do you want to go ATG by the way? Because some guy said it was "better"?

You get a little "butt wink" at the bottom so I wouldn't go much lower if I were you. (To keep your back from rounding too much)

But as Froman said, chest up, look up, never look down, push your neck into the bar as you ascend, keep your knees out.

You could try a slightly wider stance too.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Zerpp
Level

Join date: Nov 2011
Location:
Posts: 265

kwstas67 wrote:
Zerpp wrote:
Just increase mobility. Because of your size I don't think you can go ATG. But yea, do some mobility work with your hamstrings and hips.

And you should always be thinking those cues. ALWAYS!

whats wrong with my size?i thought shorter guys were supposed to hit atg easier actually...i guess i am mistaken. :(


Lol I apologize if I offended, thought it'd be a compliment. Big legs make it harder to go super low. You can see that by taking a look at the SHW olympic lifters. They can't get as low as the skinnier guys, it's just the facts.

And it has nothing to do with being short as well, it's of femurs and tibias play a factor as well.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

kwstas67
Level

Join date: Oct 2011
Location:
Posts: 16

kakno wrote:
kwstas67 wrote:

thanks for your answer.how can i go atg?and i have a question.should i think butt back when i start squatting atg or just push knees out and descend in between the legs?

Knees out and squat straight down if you want to go ATG. Why do you want to go ATG by the way? Because some guy said it was "better"?

You get a little "butt wink" at the bottom so I wouldn't go much lower if I were you. (To keep your back from rounding too much)

But as Froman said, chest up, look up, never look down, push your neck into the bar as you ascend, keep your knees out.

You could try a slightly wider stance too.


I have squatted in converse chuck taylors in the past with a wider stance.I didnt feel anything in my quads.Yes they were good for lower back strength but i feel close stance squats more in my quads.i could hold more weight easier i think with a power stance.I squat this way because i cant find a legit quad exercise either.I hate leg press (dont ask me why i dont even know),i prefer the squat with a close stance better than the powerlifters style.Of course i cant even imagine myself doing lunges...


By the way i know that the lower i go the more 'around the knee-teardrop muscles' are involved(sorry i dont know anatomy in english-lol), and also there is so much less lower back involvement that maybe its safer than a powerlifting squat.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

kwstas67
Level

Join date: Oct 2011
Location:
Posts: 16

Zerpp wrote:
kwstas67 wrote:
Zerpp wrote:
Just increase mobility. Because of your size I don't think you can go ATG. But yea, do some mobility work with your hamstrings and hips.

And you should always be thinking those cues. ALWAYS!

whats wrong with my size?i thought shorter guys were supposed to hit atg easier actually...i guess i am mistaken. :(


Lol I apologize if I offended, thought it'd be a compliment. Big legs make it harder to go super low. You can see that by taking a look at the SHW olympic lifters. They can't get as low as the skinnier guys, it's just the facts.

And it has nothing to do with being short as well, it's of femurs and tibias play a factor as well.


No you dont have to apologize!I dont feel offended at all.Maybe the huge butt restricts rom who knows.Maybe im just scared cause i believe i go lower without the bar,hmmm strange

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

fr0IVIan
Level 3

Join date: Sep 2010
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 1986

kwstas67 wrote:
kakno wrote:
kwstas67 wrote:

thanks for your answer.how can i go atg?and i have a question.should i think butt back when i start squatting atg or just push knees out and descend in between the legs?

Knees out and squat straight down if you want to go ATG. Why do you want to go ATG by the way? Because some guy said it was "better"?

You get a little "butt wink" at the bottom so I wouldn't go much lower if I were you. (To keep your back from rounding too much)

But as Froman said, chest up, look up, never look down, push your neck into the bar as you ascend, keep your knees out.

You could try a slightly wider stance too.


I have squatted in converse chuck taylors in the past with a wider stance.I didnt feel anything in my quads.Yes they were good for lower back strength but i feel close stance squats more in my quads.i could hold more weight easier i think with a power stance.I squat this way because i cant find a legit quad exercise either.I hate leg press (dont ask me why i dont even know),i prefer the squat with a close stance better than the powerlifters style.Of course i cant even imagine myself doing lunges...


By the way i know that the lower i go the more 'around the knee-teardrop muscles' are involved(sorry i dont know anatomy in english-lol), and also there is so much less lower back involvement that maybe its safer than a powerlifting squat.


when you say that you can't really feel back squats in your quads, I'd say you're doing something right. when I back squat, I feel the load a lot more in my groin and hams up by my glutes at the bottom, and quads more as I ascend.

front squats supposedly work your quads more than back squats. I say "supposedly" because I could never really make them work, so I switched them out.... for the leg press.

and not just any leg press either but.... 1/2 ROM leg press!!

lol seriously though, don't knock the leg press for quad development. my quads have gotten stronger since I started using the leg press in a way that put almost all of the load on my quads without bothering my knees.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

kwstas67
Level

Join date: Oct 2011
Location:
Posts: 16

fr0IVIan wrote:
kwstas67 wrote:
kakno wrote:
kwstas67 wrote:

thanks for your answer.how can i go atg?and i have a question.should i think butt back when i start squatting atg or just push knees out and descend in between the legs?

Knees out and squat straight down if you want to go ATG. Why do you want to go ATG by the way? Because some guy said it was "better"?

You get a little "butt wink" at the bottom so I wouldn't go much lower if I were you. (To keep your back from rounding too much)

But as Froman said, chest up, look up, never look down, push your neck into the bar as you ascend, keep your knees out.

You could try a slightly wider stance too.


I have squatted in converse chuck taylors in the past with a wider stance.I didnt feel anything in my quads.Yes they were good for lower back strength but i feel close stance squats more in my quads.i could hold more weight easier i think with a power stance.I squat this way because i cant find a legit quad exercise either.I hate leg press (dont ask me why i dont even know),i prefer the squat with a close stance better than the powerlifters style.Of course i cant even imagine myself doing lunges...


By the way i know that the lower i go the more 'around the knee-teardrop muscles' are involved(sorry i dont know anatomy in english-lol), and also there is so much less lower back involvement that maybe its safer than a powerlifting squat.


when you say that you can't really feel back squats in your quads, I'd say you're doing something right. when I back squat, I feel the load a lot more in my groin and hams up by my glutes at the bottom, and quads more as I ascend.

front squats supposedly work your quads more than back squats. I say "supposedly" because I could never really make them work, so I switched them out.... for the leg press.

and not just any leg press either but.... 1/2 ROM leg press!!

lol seriously though, don't knock the leg press for quad development. my quads have gotten stronger since I started using the leg press in a way that put almost all of the load on my quads without bothering my knees.

Depends on the footwear also.I wear oly-shoes in the vid which isolate the quads more and help with depth.Theres a huge difference between squats in heels or not regarding the muscles involved in the movement.By the way i only did leg press seriously one time and i remember it put so much pressure on my back so i thought 'yes some people prefer it over squats for back health but maybe its not for me'.Maybe will try again.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

fr0IVIan
Level 3

Join date: Sep 2010
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 1986

I usually squat shoeless and it did wonders for me compared to squatting in Nike Frees. however, now my problem is my feet sliding around inside my socks, so tomorrow I'll be squatting in Chucks for the first time. so exciteee

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

kwstas67
Level

Join date: Oct 2011
Location:
Posts: 16

fr0IVIan wrote:
I usually squat shoeless and it did wonders for me compared to squatting in Nike Frees. however, now my problem is my feet sliding around inside my socks, so tomorrow I'll be squatting in Chucks for the first time. so exciteee

Good luck :)
Chucks are always good shoes to squat with.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

kwstas67
Level

Join date: Oct 2011
Location:
Posts: 16

Todays squatting was cool
Heres the vid of my first and heaviest set.
I hope i am improving

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

fr0IVIan
Level 3

Join date: Sep 2010
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 1986

you're getting the idea of keeping your chest up, but you kind of lost it after the third rep. nonetheless it's an improvement, keep it up.


what are you shouting in there?

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

kwstas67
Level

Join date: Oct 2011
Location:
Posts: 16

fr0IVIan wrote:
you're getting the idea of keeping your chest up, but you kind of lost it after the third rep. nonetheless it's an improvement, keep it up.


what are you shouting in there?

lmao!im shouting lets go to motivate me (in my own language)

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

fr0IVIan
Level 3

Join date: Sep 2010
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 1986

ohhh ok

it sounded like you were yelling "pop it"

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
1