The Intelligent & Relentless Pursuit of Muscle™
Beginners
 
Getting a Physique Like Eugen Sandow
1 2 Next Last
 

Joseph Sandow
Level

Join date: Jun 2012
Location: Louisiana, USA
Posts: 28

I was going through a box of old books and magazines i bought at a flea market recently and found some reprints of books and courses from the 1920's-30's ,some of which are:

Super Strength ,and The Milo Barbell Courses by Alan Calvert

Physical Training Simplified.and The Mark Berry Barbell Courses by Mark Berry


as well as some of the old York barbell Courses written by Bob Hoffman

It was while reading Super Strength and Physical Training Simplified,that I have become inspired to recreate the old time Victorian Era Physical Culture/Bodybuiling type physiques like Eyugen sandow made popular back then.


Some of my freinds think i'd be better of using the Milo Barbell Courses from the 1920's because they where more inline with the training methods of Sandow,others think i should go with the training methods of Mark Berry,and some think I should go with the training methdos of Bob Hoffman's York Courses.

I was wodneirng if anyone here could give me some advice on training to get a physique similar to Mr.Sandow. I mena I realize i'll prbably have to go with older training medthods then what is used now to replicate a phsyique similar to the Sandow Physique.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Welsh_Lifter_91
Level

Join date: Mar 2012
Location: Wales
Posts: 69

So basically you want to build a fairly muscular and very lean physique? Do you think that no-one's done that since the 1920's?

Just lift big, eat big then when you have enough muscle eat slightly less big to lean out.

I have no idea what those 1920's regimes are like but if they're good use them if not, starting strength,5/3/1,any of the programs in 'do this routine instead of that dumb one' will all work for you

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

kakno
Level

Join date: Dec 2008
Location: Sweden
Posts: 2764

Joseph Sandow wrote:
I mena I realize i'll prbably have to go with older training medthods then what is used now to replicate a phsyique similar to the Sandow Physique.

You're not thinking straight. Sandow had an awesome physique for his time, in the true meaning of the word, but now there are lots of people who get bigger and just as lean without drugs. Do you really think training like most bodybuilders do today can't get you that physique?

Get to a 315 bench, 405 squat, 500 deadlift, BW military press, don't neglect curls, lateral raises, tricep work or abs and get really lean and you'll pretty much look like that.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

caveman101
Level 2

Join date: Jan 2008
Location: England
Posts: 3469

*face palm at everyone*

If you want to build a similar physique, you will need to train like him
Fundamentals:
Olympic lifts
Gymnastics
Strongman lifts
Meat, eggs, veg, beer
1 hand variations of OHP cleans and snatches
NO benching!
do something heavy everyday of the week - these guys did weekly exhibitions and still trained all the time

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

kakno
Level

Join date: Dec 2008
Location: Sweden
Posts: 2764

caveman101 wrote:
*face palm at everyone*

If you want to build a similar physique, you will need to train like him
Fundamentals:
Olympic lifts
Gymnastics
Strongman lifts
Meat, eggs, veg, beer
1 hand variations of OHP cleans and snatches
NO benching!
do something heavy everyday of the week - these guys did weekly exhibitions and still trained all the time

LOL

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Professor X
Level 5

Join date: Oct 2002
Location:
Posts: 51898

This is a tad misled. To look like Sandow, you would need the genetics and proportions of Sandow.

Unless you are his twin, learn how to build muscle and figure out how to make your own body proportionate.

I mean, seriously, if Sandow is a truly high reaching goal for you in 2012, it makes me wonder if you really understand the absolute basics as far as training...or if you are a regular trainer at all.

Even with average genetics, I would think most healthy guys could get to that size and bigger within 1-3 years.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Chris Colucci
Contributor

Join date: Jan 2005
Location: New York, USA
Posts: 6645

Joseph Sandow wrote:
I was going through a box of old books and magazines i bought at a flea market recently and found some reprints of books and courses from the 1920's-30's ,some of which are:

Super Strength ,and The Milo Barbell Courses by Alan Calvert

Physical Training Simplified.and The Mark Berry Barbell Courses by Mark Berry

as well as some of the old York barbell Courses written by Bob Hoffman

Calvert's Super Strength is a great book. Nice finds.

SuperStrengthTraining.com sells a ton of old school books if you're interested in learning more.

I mena I realize i'll prbably have to go with older training medthods then what is used now to replicate a phsyique similar to the Sandow Physique.

This is a flawed premise. The basic principles of "older training methods" are actually the same as today's methods.

http://www.T-Nation.com/...imeless_lessons

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

caveman101
Level 2

Join date: Jan 2008
Location: England
Posts: 3469

Professor X wrote:
I mean, seriously, if Sandow is a truly high reaching goal for you in 2012, it makes me wonder if you really understand the absolute basics as far as training...or if you are a regular trainer at all.

Even with average genetics, I would think most healthy guys could get to that size and bigger within 1-3 years.


300lb 1 hand db clean and press?

poor choice of emulation to be sure

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Joseph Sandow
Level

Join date: Jun 2012
Location: Louisiana, USA
Posts: 28

Chris Colucci wrote:
Joseph Sandow wrote:
I was going through a box of old books and magazines i bought at a flea market recently and found some reprints of books and courses from the 1920's-30's ,some of which are:

Super Strength ,and The Milo Barbell Courses by Alan Calvert

Physical Training Simplified.and The Mark Berry Barbell Courses by Mark Berry

as well as some of the old York barbell Courses written by Bob Hoffman

Calvert's Super Strength is a great book. Nice finds.

SuperStrengthTraining.com sells a ton of old school books if you're interested in learning more.

I mena I realize i'll prbably have to go with older training medthods then what is used now to replicate a phsyique similar to the Sandow Physique.

This is a flawed premise. The basic principles of "older training methods" are actually the same as today's methods.

http://www.T-Nation.com/...imeless_lessons



I meant by training methods the way they trained back then as in routines,exercsies and lifts.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Joseph Sandow
Level

Join date: Jun 2012
Location: Louisiana, USA
Posts: 28

Professor X wrote:
This is a tad misled. To look like Sandow, you would need the genetics and proportions of Sandow.

Unless you are his twin, learn how to build muscle and figure out how to make your own body proportionate.

I mean, seriously, if Sandow is a truly high reaching goal for you in 2012, it makes me wonder if you really understand the absolute basics as far as training...or if you are a regular trainer at all.

Even with average genetics, I would think most healthy guys could get to that size and bigger within 1-3 years.


I understand the basics of training,the reason I want to build a Physique "like "he had, i'e one based in the old Victrorian Grecian Ideal if I prefer that look over what is popular today.

It's just a matter of preferance.

No offence meant I don't go around blasting peeps for wanting to look like Jay Cutler,and would like my goals respected as much as you would like yours what ever they maybe respected!

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

ryno76
Level

Join date: Mar 2012
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 283

caveman101 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
I mean, seriously, if Sandow is a truly high reaching goal for you in 2012, it makes me wonder if you really understand the absolute basics as far as training...or if you are a regular trainer at all.

Even with average genetics, I would think most healthy guys could get to that size and bigger within 1-3 years.


300lb 1 hand db clean and press?

poor choice of emulation to be sure


I'm not saying that Sandow never accomplished some of the amazing feats that are reported about him, but you do realize that lying, con artists, exaggeration, and showmanship have been around for thousands of years.

Just because a claim is old, doesn't mean it's true. As far as Sandow's physique goes I found the following measurements through Google:

Name: Eugene Sandow

Birth Name: Friedrich Wilhelm Mueller

Date of Birth: April 25th, 1867

Place of Birth: Konigsberg, capital of East Prussia.

Height: 5'9 1/4"

Weight: 202 lbs.

Neck: 18"

Chest: 48"

Biceps: 19 1/2"

Forearms: 16 1/2"

Wrists: 7 1/2"

Waist: 30"

Hips: 42"

Quads: 26"

Knee: 14"

Calves: 18"

Ankle: 8 1/2"

I have no idea of the accuracy, but these stats are not unattainable if you put serious work into it. While it might be a decent goal, why not just use current proven methods and just see how far you can take your physique.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Joseph Sandow
Level

Join date: Jun 2012
Location: Louisiana, USA
Posts: 28

kakno wrote:
Joseph Sandow wrote:
I mena I realize i'll prbably have to go with older training medthods then what is used now to replicate a phsyique similar to the Sandow Physique.

You're not thinking straight. Sandow had an awesome physique for his time, in the true meaning of the word, but now there are lots of people who get bigger and just as lean without drugs. Do you really think training like most bodybuilders do today can't get you that physique?

Get to a 315 bench, 405 squat, 500 deadlift, BW military press, don't neglect curls, lateral raises, tricep work or abs and get really lean and you'll pretty much look like that.


Um yes I am thinking straight,LOL i've noted that many people once they know that they want get the old "You're not thinking straight" routine. I know I got it when I was younger and joined the Army.

But I have thought about it and read the books and courses I have by Alan Calvert and Mark Berry and have decided to use the old Milo Barbell Courses of Alan Calvert.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

ryno76
Level

Join date: Mar 2012
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 283

Joseph Sandow wrote:

I understand the basics of training,the reason I want to build a Physique "like "he had, i'e one based in the old Victrorian Grecian Ideal if I prefer that look over what is popular today.

It's just a matter of preferance.

No offence meant I don't go around blasting peeps for wanting to look like Jay Cutler,and would like my goals respected as much as you would like yours what ever they maybe respected!


Nobody is going to look like Jay Cutler without a boatload of drugs and the genetics to boot. I think the point is that you don't have to immitate Sandow's training to attempt a physique that looks like his. Quite the contrary, what worked for Sandow may not work for you.

BUT, if you want to work out that way just to do it, go ahead.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Joseph Sandow
Level

Join date: Jun 2012
Location: Louisiana, USA
Posts: 28

Chris Colucci wrote:
Joseph Sandow wrote:
I was going through a box of old books and magazines i bought at a flea market recently and found some reprints of books and courses from the 1920's-30's ,some of which are:

Super Strength ,and The Milo Barbell Courses by Alan Calvert

Physical Training Simplified.and The Mark Berry Barbell Courses by Mark Berry

as well as some of the old York barbell Courses written by Bob Hoffman

Calvert's Super Strength is a great book. Nice finds.

SuperStrengthTraining.com sells a ton of old school books if you're interested in learning more.

I mena I realize i'll prbably have to go with older training medthods then what is used now to replicate a phsyique similar to the Sandow Physique.

This is a flawed premise. The basic principles of "older training methods" are actually the same as today's methods.

http://www.T-Nation.com/...imeless_lessons



hey thanks for that link:

Oh I have that Hackenschmidt book,,they way to live that's qouted from:

1. Weak Points No More
George Hackenschmidt in 1941


some one need to tell the dude thet wrote that article the book was published in 1908 not 1941

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Joseph Sandow
Level

Join date: Jun 2012
Location: Louisiana, USA
Posts: 28

ryno76 wrote:
caveman101 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
I mean, seriously, if Sandow is a truly high reaching goal for you in 2012, it makes me wonder if you really understand the absolute basics as far as training...or if you are a regular trainer at all.

Even with average genetics, I would think most healthy guys could get to that size and bigger within 1-3 years.


300lb 1 hand db clean and press?

poor choice of emulation to be sure


I'm not saying that Sandow never accomplished some of the amazing feats that are reported about him, but you do realize that lying, con artists, exaggeration, and showmanship have been around for thousands of years.

Just because a claim is old, doesn't mean it's true. As far as Sandow's physique goes I found the following measurements through Google:

Name: Eugene Sandow

Birth Name: Friedrich Wilhelm Mueller

Date of Birth: April 25th, 1867

Place of Birth: Konigsberg, capital of East Prussia.

Height: 5'9 1/4"

Weight: 202 lbs.

Neck: 18"

Chest: 48"

Biceps: 19 1/2"

Forearms: 16 1/2"

Wrists: 7 1/2"

Waist: 30"

Hips: 42"

Quads: 26"

Knee: 14"

Calves: 18"

Ankle: 8 1/2"

I have no idea of the accuracy, but these stats are not unattainable if you put serious work into it. While it might be a decent goal, why not just use current proven methods and just see how far you can take your physique.


Those are his stage measurments, was doing so mreading last night and he never weighed more then 180 pounds.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Joseph Sandow
Level

Join date: Jun 2012
Location: Louisiana, USA
Posts: 28

ryno76 wrote:
Joseph Sandow wrote:

I understand the basics of training,the reason I want to build a Physique "like "he had, i'e one based in the old Victrorian Grecian Ideal if I prefer that look over what is popular today.

It's just a matter of preferance.

No offence meant I don't go around blasting peeps for wanting to look like Jay Cutler,and would like my goals respected as much as you would like yours what ever they maybe respected!


Nobody is going to look like Jay Cutler without a boatload of drugs and the genetics to boot. I think the point is that you don't have to immitate Sandow's training to attempt a physique that looks like his. Quite the contrary, what worked for Sandow may not work for you.

BUT, if you want to work out that way just to do it, go ahead.


I'm going to give it a try,No guts no glory after all.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Chris Colucci
Contributor

Join date: Jan 2005
Location: New York, USA
Posts: 6645

Joseph Sandow wrote:
I meant by training methods the way they trained back then as in routines,exercsies and lifts.

Full body weight training sessions, generally lower volume per workout, varied barbell, dumbbell, kettlebell, and bodyweight exercises. Indeed, nothing along those lines has ever come up in recent years.

1. Weak Points No More
George Hackenschmidt in 1941

some one need to tell the dude thet wrote that article the book was published in 1908 not 1941

Okay, I'll tell him ... ... ...
... ... ...
... ... ...
... ... ...
He said to tell you that the edition he read was published in 1941, which is why that's what he cited.

(The '43 at the end of the article is a typo.)

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Chris Colucci
Contributor

Join date: Jan 2005
Location: New York, USA
Posts: 6645

Joseph Sandow wrote:
... have decided to use the old Milo Barbell Courses of Alan Calvert.

I just read up on Milo's First Course. If I'm reading this right, it looks like this:

Done 3 Days per Week or Once Every 48 Hours
Barbell curl 1x5-10
Floor press 1x5-10
Bent barbell row 1x5-10
Behind the neck press 1x5-10
Barbell pullover 1x5-20 (never using more than 50 pounds)
Squat with calf raise 1x20-40
Shrug 1x14-30
Jefferson lift/straddle squat 1x10-20
Weighted straight-leg sit-up 1x5-10
1-arm dumbbell side press 1x3-6
1-arm kettlebell swing 1x10-20
Wrist roller 1x Up and Down
Wrestler's bridge 1x6-10
Reverse curl 1x4-5
Military press 1x5-10


Good luck with that.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Joseph Sandow
Level

Join date: Jun 2012
Location: Louisiana, USA
Posts: 28

Chris Colucci wrote:
Joseph Sandow wrote:
I meant by training methods the way they trained back then as in routines,exercsies and lifts.

Full body weight training sessions, generally lower volume per workout, varied barbell, dumbbell, kettlebell, and bodyweight exercises. Indeed, nothing along those lines has ever come up in recent years.

1. Weak Points No More
George Hackenschmidt in 1941

some one need to tell the dude thet wrote that article the book was published in 1908 not 1941

Okay, I'll tell him ... ... ...
... ... ...
... ... ...
... ... ...
He said to tell you that the edition he read was published in 1941, which is why that's what he cited.

(The '43 at the end of the article is a typo.)



oh.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Joseph Sandow
Level

Join date: Jun 2012
Location: Louisiana, USA
Posts: 28

Chris Colucci wrote:
have decided to use the old Milo Barbell Courses of Alan Calvert.

I just read up on Milo's First Course. If I'm reading this right, it looks like this:

Done 3 Days per Week or Once Every 48 Hours
Barbell curl 1x5-10
Floor press 1x5-10
Bent barbell row 1x5-10
Behind the neck press 1x5-10
Barbell pullover 1x5-20 (never using more than 50 pounds)
Squat with calf raise 1x20-40
Shrug 1x14-30
Jefferson lift/straddle squat 1x10-20
Weighted straight-leg sit-up 1x5-10
Dumbbell side press 1x3-6
1-arm kettlebell swing 1x10-20
Wrist roller 1x Up and Down
Wrestler's bridge 1x6-10
Reverse curl 1x4-5
Military press 1x5-10


Good luck with that.


yep thats one version of the beginner workout,there's also a 12 exercise version which I am going to use which is done every other day : example monday,wendesday,friday,sunday,tuesday,thursday,saturday.

Thanks for the luck,but rember they did build muscle with those old school programs =)

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

ryno76
Level

Join date: Mar 2012
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 283

Joseph Sandow wrote:

yep thats one version of the beginner workout,there's also a 12 exercise version which I am going to use which is done every other day : example monday,wendesday,friday,sunday,tuesday,thursday,saturday.

Thanks for the luck,but rember they did build muscle with those old school programs =)


That is true, and no one will argue that point, but it may not be the optimal way for "you" to build the physique you want. If you look at the top competitors in any strength related sport or physique competition, none of them follow the exact same workouts. Most have found what works best for them and none that I have ever seen followed the exact same workout three times or more a week.

I'm not saying you won't build muscle on that program, but I would be more inclined to look at natural bodybuilders of more recent decades and their training methods if physique goals were my primary motivation.

Again, I say if you want to give it a try, go for it. Just be realistic and open minded so that in six months you aren't where you want to be you try something else.

There is no one size fits all training program that works for everyone accross the board. Getting your physique to advanced levels requires trial and error and learning what works for you.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

chillain
Level 4

Join date: Jan 2005
Location:
Posts: 3689

Hmmmm well now I'm confused:

OP - Did you come to this Beginners Forum to ask for advice or to simply announce (and defend) your particular goal??

You've been given PLENTY of solid advice from people who have already helped others surpass your particular goal - in other words, EXACTLY the type of advice you're looking for - and yet that only appears to make you more defensive, more adamant in following some idealized program from some 50+ yrs ago.

Good luck with all that, seriously, but if you haven't reached this goal in 2-3 years tops, you've got no one to blame but yourself.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Joseph Sandow
Level

Join date: Jun 2012
Location: Louisiana, USA
Posts: 28

chillain wrote:
Hmmmm well now I'm confused:

OP - Did you come to this Beginners Forum to ask for advice or to simply announce (and defend) your particular goal??

You've been given PLENTY of solid advice from people who have already helped others surpass your particular goal - in other words, EXACTLY the type of advice you're looking for - and yet that only appears to make you more defensive, more adamant in following some idealized program from some 50+ yrs ago.

Good luck with all that, seriously, but if you haven't reached this goal in 2-3 years tops, you've got no one to blame but yourself.


I didn't mean to come across as defensive,(but then it doesn't help when you have an idiot cousin over trying to talk you into going back to partying and drinking after 1 full year away from it...that can get you kinda aggrivated).

I used the old Milo Course,and have to admit the old guys that used it where "tough-old birds",0_0
It wasn't just training it was torture =)

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

flipcollar
Level 5

Join date: Feb 2010
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 2711

Joseph Sandow wrote:


I didn't mean to come across as defensive,(but then it doesn't help when you have an idiot cousin over trying to talk you into going back to partying and drinking after 1 full year away from it...that can get you kinda aggrivated).



LOLWUT

I just read through this whole thread, and after I read this comment, in conjunction with how obstinate and strange you've been, I assumed you were 23 at the oldest. YOU'RE 39?????

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

bigmac73nh
Level 4

Join date: May 2011
Location:
Posts: 2798

ryno76 wrote:
caveman101 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
I mean, seriously, if Sandow is a truly high reaching goal for you in 2012, it makes me wonder if you really understand the absolute basics as far as training...or if you are a regular trainer at all.

Even with average genetics, I would think most healthy guys could get to that size and bigger within 1-3 years.


300lb 1 hand db clean and press?

poor choice of emulation to be sure


I'm not saying that Sandow never accomplished some of the amazing feats that are reported about him, but you do realize that lying, con artists, exaggeration, and showmanship have been around for thousands of years.

Just because a claim is old, doesn't mean it's true. As far as Sandow's physique goes I found the following measurements through Google:

Name: Eugene Sandow

Birth Name: Friedrich Wilhelm Mueller

Date of Birth: April 25th, 1867

Place of Birth: Konigsberg, capital of East Prussia.

Height: 5'9 1/4"

Weight: 202 lbs.

Neck: 18"

Chest: 48"

Biceps: 19 1/2"

Forearms: 16 1/2"

Wrists: 7 1/2"

Waist: 30"

Hips: 42"

Quads: 26"

Knee: 14"

Calves: 18"

Ankle: 8 1/2"

I have no idea of the accuracy, but these stats are not unattainable if you put serious work into it. While it might be a decent goal, why not just use current proven methods and just see how far you can take your physique.


I'm sorry but I do not think those measurements are very attainable for most people lol

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
1 2 3 4 Next Last