Building High-Performance Muscle™
Beginners
 
Critique My Trap Bar Deadlift Form
1
 

Sreep Drofelco
Level

Join date: Jul 2013
Location:
Posts: 2

Hi guys, noob here. Have been lifting weights for about a year now. I'm 6'1'' and struggle with some exercises maybe due to muscular imbalances.

Please watch this video and advise on whether this form is acceptable or not, and if not then exercises that may help me hold my form better. I worked up to 175kg for 2 reps with form like this but am slightly worried about my back if i go much heavier. I try to keep perfect form during warm up sets but it starts to turn sloppy at around 120kg. This is the only way i can shift the heavy weight.

Thanks for any help / guidance. P.S. sorry if video appears sideways

  Report
 

nighthawkz
Level

Join date: Aug 2012
Location:
Posts: 918

From a powerlifting POV - yeah, it's fine.
From a bodybuilding and spine health POV -nope. It looks like your spine doesn't even speak neutral allignment lingo anymore. Keep that back straight. (And yes, anyone can lift more with a rounded back in the short run. Just keep doing it and see where you'll end up in twenty years though)

  Report
 

Claudan
Level

Join date: Mar 2013
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 846

Listen to this beautiful voice:

http://www.T-Nation.com/...ap-bar-deadlift

Lower the weight on your working sets until your form looks like ^ on the entirety of your warmup+working sets.

Your reps should only look the way your video showed them if you are going for a PR and you truly do not care about form or your safety.

Good luck!

  Report
 

Apoklyps
Level

Join date: Aug 2012
Location:
Posts: 908

nighthawkz wrote:
From a powerlifting POV - yeah, it's fine.
From a bodybuilding and spine health POV -nope. It looks like your spine doesn't even speak neutral allignment lingo anymore. Keep that back straight. (And yes, anyone can lift more with a rounded back in the short run. Just keep doing it and see where you'll end up in twenty years though)


Er, I don't know which PLers you're talking to lol. Though everybody's form gets a little sloppy on a true 1RM, but nobody (except maybe Konstantinovs) actually trains that way. Because you're lifting heavy ass weights, you need to be more cognizant of injury prevention, not less.

  Report
 

peglegjoe857
Level

Join date: Oct 2012
Location:
Posts: 56

Sreep Drofelco wrote:
Hi guys, noob here. Have been lifting weights for about a year now. I'm 6'1'' and struggle with some exercises maybe due to muscular imbalances.

Please watch this video and advise on whether this form is acceptable or not, and if not then exercises that may help me hold my form better. I worked up to 175kg for 2 reps with form like this but am slightly worried about my back if i go much heavier. I try to keep perfect form during warm up sets but it starts to turn sloppy at around 120kg. This is the only way i can shift the heavy weight.

Thanks for any help / guidance. P.S. sorry if video appears sideways


im 6' and feel your pain, as far as height is concerned, but deadlifting is supposed to be one of the few lifts that height is an advantage.. i don't remember why.. somebody explained it to me, but i probably wasn't listening.

anyway man.. that back NEEDS to straighten. a friend of mine has the same problem, and i tell him.. lower the weight.. just lower it. you gotta take that hit. start from scratch. it sucks, but its something that NEEDS to be fixed.

when i started lifting, kinda the same thing happened to me. i used to squat quarter.. and my squats progressed, and i felt great about myself... gettin the weight i got. but then after being "enlightened" i attempted some DEEP squats. what i had previously got 10 reps, had been reduced to a SCARY couple of reps. i lowered the weight, started all over.. worked my way back up.. now i only go deep.. below parallel. im not moving as much weight, but im getting much more out of it. thats what matters. start 20lbs below the point where your form breaks, and over time work through that point without your form breaking. make that shit right.

  Report
 

peglegjoe857
Level

Join date: Oct 2012
Location:
Posts: 56

oh and dude, on a trap bar... i mean.. i understand people hunching over a bit for a deadlift, but on a trap bar it should be MUCH easier to maintain a straight back. its almost like a squat. nobody is ABLE to hunch over on a squat, cause they would fall forward. i always see people hunch their deadlifts.. but i have NEVER seen anybody hunch a squat... as far as i can tell, its impossible. so try to think of the trap bar way.. position your body like you would a squat and PUSH the weight with your quads.. instead of pulling it with your hams like a deadlift. that should help you straighten things.

  Report
 

nighthawkz
Level

Join date: Aug 2012
Location:
Posts: 918

Apoklyps wrote:
nighthawkz wrote:
From a powerlifting POV - yeah, it's fine.
From a bodybuilding and spine health POV -nope. It looks like your spine doesn't even speak neutral allignment lingo anymore. Keep that back straight. (And yes, anyone can lift more with a rounded back in the short run. Just keep doing it and see where you'll end up in twenty years though)


Er, I don't know which PLers you're talking to lol. Though everybody's form gets a little sloppy on a true 1RM, but nobody (except maybe Konstantinovs) actually trains that way. Because you're lifting heavy ass weights, you need to be more cognizant of injury prevention, not less.


Well, more like "he lifted it up so it counts". No one will give you a red light in a PL meet for rounding your back. That being said, obviously a) a trap bar deadlift is not a competition lift b) a good powerlifter will tell him that this is risky form to train with.

  Report
1