The Intelligent & Relentless Pursuit of Muscle™
Anaconda Protocol Users
 
I,BODYBUILDER - PHASE 5
 

Christian Thibaudeau
Contributor

Join date: Feb 2003
Posts: 21177

DMobley1022 wrote:
Do you see any problem with starting the IBB program all over and going through all the phases again? Or do you suggest something else to do after the IBB program?


No, it wouldn't be a problem because of the spec nature of the program.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Christian Thibaudeau
Contributor

Join date: Feb 2003
Posts: 21177

therajraj wrote:
Is it a bad idea to do jump squats and vertical jumps in Chuck Taylor's?

Do you still use the low rep principle in fat loss programs?


Chucks were once used by basketball players. From the best of my knowledge, there is some jumping involved in basketball :)

Yes I still use low reps as part of the program... the methods that are the best to help you put on muscle, are also the best to help you keep muscle while dieting.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Christian Thibaudeau
Contributor

Join date: Feb 2003
Posts: 21177

kjmont wrote:

CT I was close-grip benching today for one of the full body days and ramped up but felt like i had just a little bit more in me so I tried the micro-ramping technique and I almost had to stop myself. I beat my old PR by 35 lbs.
My progression:
1 x 4 @ 115
1 x 4 @ 135
1 x 2 @ 145
1 x 2 @ 155
1 x 2 @ 160
1 x 2 @ 165
1 x 2 @ 170 - This was my last set before the max reps, i could've done maybe 175, but my 2nd rep slowed too much to continue without grinding the sets, but WOW it felt great. my previous best was 135 x 3.


I'm not surprised. I've seen great results across the board with micro-ramping . Especially with those who are less experienced.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

therajraj
Level 1

Join date: Dec 2008
Posts: 11033

Christian Thibaudeau wrote:
therajraj wrote:
Is it a bad idea to do jump squats and vertical jumps in Chuck Taylor's?

Do you still use the low rep principle in fat loss programs?


Chucks were once used by basketball players. From the best of my knowledge, there is some jumping involved in basketball :)

Yes I still use low reps as part of the program... the methods that are the best to help you put on muscle, are also the best to help you keep muscle while dieting.


Ahhh... just wiki'ed it, also turns out Chuck Taylor was a pro basketball player :P

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

WhiteFlash
Level 1

Join date: Apr 2004
Posts: 9608

Don't know if it;s been said but the Doc looks like a buff Lumberg.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

darkun
Level

Join date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1

will the new program be released soon? Can we jump right into it after the transition week?

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

IvanTheTerrible
Level

Join date: May 2008
Posts: 168

If the program worked, why does everybody have a hard-on for the next workout? You guys only did one round of iBodybuilder? Why not transition back to Phase 1 and do it all over again?

Personally I did one week of transition and jumped back into the fire. Today was Day 1 again, and not only am I happy with the progress I've made since starting the program back in february, it was also nice to see my numbers increase from that first day of Phase 1. I added some visible muscle to my frame and managed to lose fat in the process. Not a bad deal if you ask me.

Thanks, Coach.
-I

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Hugh.Mungo
Level

Join date: Apr 2010
Posts: 51

Bit off topic but didn't find it anywhere. I sort of do an abbreviated version A/B split of this. This does more warm up than I do currently but looks great!!

My question is what is the name brand of the power rack???
I have finished of garage that needs that one. I looked at 30+ and wanted a pro model.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Hugh.Mungo
Level

Join date: Apr 2010
Posts: 51

I'm guessing Champion Full Power Rack - Commercial Grade. Honestly not looking for a plug. Is it this one good bad or indifferent?

www.americanfitness.net/champion-powercage.aspx

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Mod Brian
Moderator, Admin

Join date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1525

Hugh.Mungo wrote:
My question is what is the name brand of the power rack???


The power rack is by Atlantis.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Hugh.Mungo
Level

Join date: Apr 2010
Posts: 51

Champion looks like a knock off then. Thanks! I'm afraid to ask as this brand doesn't list prices, which means one thing.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Christian Thibaudeau
Contributor

Join date: Feb 2003
Posts: 21177

IvanTheTerrible wrote:
If the program worked, why does everybody have a hard-on for the next workout? You guys only did one round of iBodybuilder? Why not transition back to Phase 1 and do it all over again?

Personally I did one week of transition and jumped back into the fire. Today was Day 1 again, and not only am I happy with the progress I've made since starting the program back in february, it was also nice to see my numbers increase from that first day of Phase 1. I added some visible muscle to my frame and managed to lose fat in the process. Not a bad deal if you ask me.

Thanks, Coach.
-I


You can go either way. Some people really need variety and will lose motivation if they feel that they are just repeating themselves. Others don't have that problem. The key is to find the option that better fits you. This is why we want to produce a lot of programs, not everybody can like or need the same approach.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

thoughts1053
Level 5

Join date: Apr 2008
Posts: 742

IvanTheTerrible wrote:
If the program worked, why does everybody have a hard-on for the next workout? You guys only did one round of iBodybuilder? Why not transition back to Phase 1 and do it all over again?

Personally I did one week of transition and jumped back into the fire. Today was Day 1 again, and not only am I happy with the progress I've made since starting the program back in february, it was also nice to see my numbers increase from that first day of Phase 1. I added some visible muscle to my frame and managed to lose fat in the process. Not a bad deal if you ask me.

Thanks, Coach.
-I


Reason I'm not doing I,Bodybuilder again is because with the summer approaching, I want to cut fat. Although I'm sure I can cut fat following the program, I'd rather do it a more efficient way. If there's no new program by August, I'm definitely running through the program again staying at least 4 weeks in each phase.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Zeppelin0731
Level

Join date: Dec 2008
Posts: 493

Anyone wanna throw up some stats, before and after, or at least up to this point?

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

liffy
Level

Join date: Jan 2009
Posts: 43

http://tnation.tmuscle.com/...uilding_ibb_log

:)

Edit: If you we're referring to bodyweight and fat percentage etc; the link isn't very helpful.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

IvanTheTerrible
Level

Join date: May 2008
Posts: 168

I hear you, but I figure "if it ain't broke, then don't try to fix it."

I should say upfront that I did not do the Anaconda Protocol. I'm a family man and can't afford to drop 300+ on supplements.

Officially, I actually lost 3 lbs as of this past Monday. However, as we all know, the mirror doesnt lie. I started at 187lbs and weighed 184 this past Monday. I lost a lot of fat on this program and look leaner. I notice the biggest gains in my shoulders, chest and upper back. However, my shoulders are still my weakest link and I intend to stay in Phase 1 for at least 4 weeks. My calves are also lagging, although I think they are in proportion with my hams and quads.

I will also add that as I worked through the program I wasnt fully understanding it, and a lot of times I found myself ego-adding weight to the bar instead of really feeling out each set. I won't make that mistake again. That being said, I added 10-20 pounds to every lift on the Monday/Tuesday workouts of Phase 1 except for one... the high-incline press on Monday's workout. I did not decline it as much as I did in February, and with more stress on my shoulders, I was forced to reduce the weight by 15lbs on average.

The only thing I plan to change this time around is my eating. I'm barely getting 3000-3500 calories right now. I'm throwing in 1/4 gomad with extra protein which is adding about 500 calories to that... we'll see what happens.

Thanks for posting the workout.
-I

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

captaincalvert
Level

Join date: Jul 2007
Posts: 488

I'm into my second week of phase four, and am planning to do a third week before I move on. The thing is, my shoulder joints are aching the first couple of hours after each chest work-out, especially the ones that involve flies. I'm not injured, and there is no pain when I've relaxed for a while. It doesn't feel like tendonitis or anything like that, jsut an unpleasent tingling of the nerves posterior to the joint.

Personal experience tells me I can keep going like this for a good while without actually injuring myself as long as it doesn't get worse than it is at the moment. I am however wondering if I might be better off skipping phase 5, and take a whole week off instead, to make sure my CNS, tendons and ligaments recuperate properly.

Would that be a bad idea, and what's your opinion of off-weeks in general?

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Christian Thibaudeau
Contributor

Join date: Feb 2003
Posts: 21177

captaincalvert wrote:
I'm into my second week of phase four, and am planning to do a third week before I move on. The thing is, my shoulder joints are aching the first couple of hours after each chest work-out, especially the ones that involve flies. I'm not injured, and there is no pain when I've relaxed for a while. It doesn't feel like tendonitis or anything like that, jsut an unpleasent tingling of the nerves posterior to the joint. Personal experience tells me I can keep going like this for a good while without actually injuring myself as long as it doesn't get worse than it is at the moment. I am however wondering if I might be better off skipping phase 5, and take a whole week off instead, to make sure my CNS, tendons and ligaments recuperate properly.

Would that be a bad idea, and what's your opinion of off-weeks in general?


I would take a week of reduced training but still with a relatively high level of activity. Play sports, do GPP work, etc. You should also do 1-2 lifting sessions in the week, focusing on lifts that do not cause any of the sensation you mentioned.

My opinion on "off" weeks, "off" meaning "no training" is not good. I do not like periods of complete rest unless it is necessary (e.g. injury, illness, personal problems, etc.), my experience is that most of the time these end up doing more harm than good.

That is not to say that I do not believe in periods of reduced training. When I look back on my lifting career I always seem to alternate periods of 8-10 weeks of very focused, intense training and 1-2 weeks of reduced "playing around" training. Most of the time I experiment with new stuff or do other things during those "reduced" weeks.

BUT I rarely take those at a planned interval. For example I do not tell myself "I'll train hard for 10 weeks then take it easy for 2", I simply reduce my training when I feel like I need it and am losing motivation.

As for "off weeks", they might happen. As I mentioned an injury or illness is one thing that can force you to take one and you can't plan those. But a voluntary "off week" should normally fall on a vacation period. And if that is gonna happen, it is best to precede this period by 1-2 weeks of "hell training"... a shock period where you drastically increase volume and frequency of training. This way, you spend the "off week" surcompensating instead of detraining.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Zeppelin0731
Level

Join date: Dec 2008
Posts: 493

liffy wrote:
http://tnation.tmuscle.com/...uilding_ibb_log

:)

Edit: If you we're referring to bodyweight and fat percentage etc; the link isn't very helpful.


Yeah, I was looking for more of "lean mass gained" kinda stats.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Hugh.Mungo
Level

Join date: Apr 2010
Posts: 51

IvanTheTerrible wrote:
I will also add that as I worked through the program I wasnt fully understanding it, and a lot of times I found myself ego-adding weight to the bar instead of really feeling out each set. I won't make that mistake again. That being said, I added 10-20 pounds to every lift on the Monday/Tuesday workouts of Phase 1 except for one... the high-incline press on Monday's workout. I did not decline it as much as I did in February, and with more stress on my shoulders, I was forced to reduce the weight by 15lbs on average.

The only thing I plan to change this time around is my eating. I'm barely getting 3000-3500 calories right now. I'm throwing in 1/4 gomad with extra protein which is adding about 500 calories to that... we'll see what happens.

Thanks for posting the workout.
-I


I do a variation of an A/B split now and add 5-10 pounds each round if I keep good reps up. Major lifts I do more than that so it can be as little as 5% added each cycle of A1/B1/A2/B2/A3/B3. If your not adapting then your not eating enough, sleeping enough or have low intensity. Those pounds on major movements are not a concern.

A trick I learned is do cardio in morning if only to make you hungry all day. Alot of meat heads don't get that 45 minutes of cardio makes you hungry all day after you adjust. I use eliptical now because everything outside is covered in pollen and looks nasty.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

captaincalvert
Level

Join date: Jul 2007
Posts: 488

I would take a week of reduced training but still with a relatively high level of activity. Play sports, do GPP work, etc. You should also do 1-2 lifting sessions in the week, focusing on lifts that do not cause any of the sensation you mentioned.

My opinion on "off" weeks, "off" meaning "no training" is not good. I do not like periods of complete rest unless it is necessary (e.g. injury, illness, personal problems, etc.), my experience is that most of the time these end up doing more harm than good.

That is not to say that I do not believe in periods of reduced training. When I look back on my lifting career I always seem to alternate periods of 8-10 weeks of very focused, intense training and 1-2 weeks of reduced "playing around" training. Most of the time I experiment with new stuff or do other things during those "reduced" weeks.

BUT I rarely take those at a planned interval. For example I do not tell myself "I'll train hard for 10 weeks then take it easy for 2", I simply reduce my training when I feel like I need it and am losing motivation.

As for "off weeks", they might happen. As I mentioned an injury or illness is one thing that can force you to take one and you can't plan those. But a voluntary "off week" should normally fall on a vacation period. And if that is gonna happen, it is best to precede this period by 1-2 weeks of "hell training"... a shock period where you drastically increase volume and frequency of training. This way, you spend the "off week" surcompensating instead of detraining.


Thanks.

I've had some positive experiences with off weeks before. I always seem to come back stronger, but I'll take your advice. I've never regretted listening to you before, so active recovery it is.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

broken4head
Level 2

Join date: Oct 2009
Posts: 72

Will these videos and w/o guidelines be accessible on the site down the line or will you completely take then off. Currently these methods of training would not fit my immediate goals but I would love to try this in the near future.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Andrew Dixon
Level 1

Join date: Sep 2003
Posts: 755

This has been a great program Thib. Did you teach Dr. Tim how to power clear before this workout? And can he catch it better now?

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

DMobley1022
Level 3

Join date: Oct 2005
Posts: 98

Did any of you do any cardio while on this program, and if so what did you do and were you still pleased with your results of the IBB program?

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Steff24
Level

Join date: Feb 2010
Posts: 64

I do some cardio at the moment. On the 2 off days I do running für 30 minutes followed by running up a hill. I ca't describe it better but it some kind of sprint to he top of a hill. Extremely hard doing this 8-10 times.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report