The Intelligent & Relentless Pursuit of Muscle™
Bodybuilding
 
The Worst Excuse Ever...
1 2 Next Last
 

buddaboy
Level

Join date: Jul 2004
Location: England
Posts: 2191

I wouldn't normally start a thread here, but thought I'd share with you what I believe to be THE worst excuse I've EVER heard for not training legs...

The other day I spoke to a guy (with chicken legs) who said that training legs wasn't necessary because...

Wait for it...

Pause for effect...

'As you build muscle on your upper body and get bigger and heavier, your legs get bigger and stronger from having to carry that extra weight on your upper body around'.

Quadruple face palm...

Can this be beaten?

BB

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

spar4tee
Level

Join date: Sep 2010
Location: District of Columbia, USA
Posts: 10096

Basketball players are supposed to be skinny

I don't wanna get too strong because I want to have kids someday

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Jereth127
Level

Join date: May 2008
Location: Ireland
Posts: 1691

Talking a about having a 250lb bench press - ''I used to bench that but lifting that much is bad for your heart''

Me - ''..... ''

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

_Cato_
Level

Join date: May 2011
Location:
Posts: 9

Don't know if it beats yours, but my personal favorite is:

I don't need to train legs because my legs are already strong/big from running/jogging/soccer/lacrosse/volleyball/etc.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Tatsu
Level 1

Join date: Dec 2007
Location: Holland
Posts: 877

"I don't train my legs because I play soccer."

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Professor X
Level 5

Join date: Oct 2002
Location:
Posts: 51898

spar4tee wrote:
Basketball players are supposed to be skinny

I don't wanna get too strong because I want to have kids someday



I flexed my quads real hard last week and my balls fell off.


  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

spar4tee
Level

Join date: Sep 2010
Location: District of Columbia, USA
Posts: 10096

Professor X wrote:
spar4tee wrote:
Basketball players are supposed to be skinny

I don't wanna get too strong because I want to have kids someday



I flexed my quads real hard last week and my balls fell off.



  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

kaisermetal
Level 1

Join date: Jul 2006
Location: Brazil
Posts: 3748

_Cato_ wrote:
Don't know if it beats yours, but my personal favorite is:

I don't need to train legs because my legs are already strong/big from running/jogging/soccer/lacrosse/volleyball/etc.


that is classic. Heard from a friend last week:

"my boxing instructor said i don't need to train legs because i already jump rope and run. He saids the muscles i need to work most are abs, biceps and triceps."

I tried telling him that Legs + Back are more important, but i gave up.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Quick Ben
Level

Join date: Apr 2010
Location:
Posts: 933

kaisermetal wrote:
_Cato_ wrote:
Don't know if it beats yours, but my personal favorite is:

I don't need to train legs because my legs are already strong/big from running/jogging/soccer/lacrosse/volleyball/etc.


that is classic. Heard from a friend last week:

"my boxing instructor said i don't need to train legs because i already jump rope and run. He saids the muscles i need to work most are abs, biceps and triceps."

I tried telling him that Legs + Back are more important, but i gave up.


I don't know shit about training boxers, but I'll go right ahead and assume your friend should listen to his coach and not you.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

ronaldo7
Level 3

Join date: Feb 2008
Location: New York, USA
Posts: 1939

This story is not really on the specific topic but it has to do with training legs.

One day I was doing legs at a new gym. It was just me and these other two dudes, one of them older and bigger than the other one. So I get to my top set on squats and I ask the older dude if he could spot me. As I'm about to put on my earphones and set up, I hear: "you should place your feet wider" I replied "what?"

Him: you should place your feet wider

Me: It's called an Olympic squat

Him: you're going to mess up your back like that

Me: No, it's an olympic squat and my feet need to be closer together to I can go all the way down, my back is fine.

Him: Listen...cut off*

Me: Cut in* Let me see your legs...

Him: shows me legs*

Me: My legs are bigger than yours.....

Him: ........

Me: ......

Him: Well listen, I'm 45 years old, I been training for years bla bla bla bla

Me: are you going to spot me or not?

Him: Yea


The end.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

hanban
Level

Join date: Apr 2011
Location:
Posts: 369

aint nothin' to it but to do it.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

GrindOverMatter
Level 5

Join date: Jul 2007
Location: Prince Edward Island, CAN
Posts: 1428

conversation between me an my roomate

Roomate " I have really bad knees"

Me..."Why, what happened to them?"

Roomate " I don't know man theyre just messed up"
*Lifts up shorts and shows me a perfectly good looking set of knees*

i never hear him complain about knee pain so i don't see what his problem is



  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

IFlashBack
Level 1

Join date: Feb 2011
Location: Ontario, CAN
Posts: 905

"It's gay"

"Nobody looks at them"

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

audiogarden1
Level

Join date: Sep 2009
Location: Illinois, USA
Posts: 2880

Quick Ben wrote:
kaisermetal wrote:
_Cato_ wrote:
Don't know if it beats yours, but my personal favorite is:

I don't need to train legs because my legs are already strong/big from running/jogging/soccer/lacrosse/volleyball/etc.


that is classic. Heard from a friend last week:

"my boxing instructor said i don't need to train legs because i already jump rope and run. He saids the muscles i need to work most are abs, biceps and triceps."

I tried telling him that Legs + Back are more important, but i gave up.


I don't know shit about training boxers, but I'll go right ahead and assume your friend should listen to his coach and not you.


Think about boxing...think about throwing a really hard punch....why would you only train abs tris and bis to throw powerful punches? Nothing is gonna make your punches more explosive than having powerful legs and core, punches start with leg drive. Also, shoulders and traps are gonna do a lot more work when boxing than biceps and triceps. Not that those should be neglected either.

Neither mans answer is better than the other but they are both lacking.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Quick Ben
Level

Join date: Apr 2010
Location:
Posts: 933

audiogarden1 wrote:
Quick Ben wrote:
kaisermetal wrote:
_Cato_ wrote:
Don't know if it beats yours, but my personal favorite is:

I don't need to train legs because my legs are already strong/big from running/jogging/soccer/lacrosse/volleyball/etc.


that is classic. Heard from a friend last week:

"my boxing instructor said i don't need to train legs because i already jump rope and run. He saids the muscles i need to work most are abs, biceps and triceps."

I tried telling him that Legs + Back are more important, but i gave up.


I don't know shit about training boxers, but I'll go right ahead and assume your friend should listen to his coach and not you.


Think about boxing...think about throwing a really hard punch....why would you only train abs tris and bis to throw powerful punches? Nothing is gonna make your punches more explosive than having powerful legs and core, punches start with leg drive. Also, shoulders and traps are gonna do a lot more work when boxing than biceps and triceps. Not that those should be neglected either.

Neither mans answer is better than the other but they are both lacking.


If you say so. My knowledge of fighting starts and stops with the Rocky movies. haha

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Colin Wilson
Level 2

Join date: Feb 2003
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Posts: 2192

Professor X wrote:
spar4tee wrote:
Basketball players are supposed to be skinny

I don't wanna get too strong because I want to have kids someday



I flexed my quads real hard last week and my balls fell off.




This actually made me LOL

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Iron Dwarf
Level

Join date: Feb 2008
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 16335

hanban wrote:
aint nothin' to it but to do it.



Hay Hanban!

Where'd you get that pic?

I made/photoshopped that pic a couple of years ago and posted it in some forgetting thread!

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

SSC
Level 3

Join date: Mar 2008
Location:
Posts: 6953

Did it ever dawn on you guys that some people just don't care about training their legs?

I've heard the same shit before, but why does it bother you so much?

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

KcThrows
Level 5

Join date: May 2011
Location:
Posts: 631

SSC wrote:
Did it ever dawn on you guys that some people just don't care about training their legs?

I've heard the same shit before, but why does it bother you so much?


It only bothers me when it's someone you offer advice to or have helped train. I'm young still and never actually coached, but in track helping kids was a big hassle. You get the typical responses followed by complaints, etc etc where it just ends up being a waste of your time.

Otherwise :) I follow the much said! The less people training their legs the better! Free squat racks = a good day haha!

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

winkel
Level 4

Join date: Jul 2007
Location: Denmark
Posts: 170

Tatsu wrote:
"I don't train my legs because I play soccer."



Haha I have a friend saying exactly that!.. He does have pretty big legs (the bastard!) but I attribute that to genetics more than soccer.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

hanban
Level

Join date: Apr 2011
Location:
Posts: 369

Iron Dwarf wrote:
hanban wrote:
aint nothin' to it but to do it.



Hay Hanban!

Where'd you get that pic?

I made/photoshopped that pic a couple of years ago and posted it in some forgetting thread!


LOL it was you? caught my eye and saved it since. take the guy with biggest legs in the world and glue a jersey shore twig legs on him. classic !

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Gym Savvy
Level

Join date: Sep 2009
Location: England
Posts: 192

hanban wrote:
aint nothin' to it but to do it.


This picture is quality, love it. Good work ID!

I like that lots of people don't squat- looking at the state of the rest of the world I try to take what everyone does and do the exact opposite. So the skinnier other (so-called) guys' legs get, the the more they accentuate that skinniness with those gay jeans, the further away they are from what I'm doing, result!

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Doyle
Level

Join date: Jul 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 896

Something along the lines of, "I don't want to get too big and bulky, I play rugby so I have to be fast."
This is coming from a Guy who weighs like 70kg and most professional rugby players in his position weigh over 90kg

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

DixiesFinest
Level 1

Join date: Mar 2009
Location: Arkansas, USA
Posts: 7751

spar4tee wrote:
Basketball players are supposed to be skinny



Srsly, so damn skinny

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Sterneneisen
Level

Join date: Jan 2011
Location:
Posts: 535

ID, you photoshopped a girls lower body on Ronnie's (?) torso... c'mon... you could've at least glued a skinny guys legs instead of a girls...

If that's a guy... then I'm thankful I live in a country where you don't see "guys" wearing skinny/tight jeans...

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
1 2 3 Next Last