The Intelligent & Relentless Pursuit of Muscle™
Bodybuilding
 
Question Regarding Periodization + Upper Body
1
 

SnatchBrosOrDie
Level

Join date: May 2012
Posts: 21

I've been working out pretty consistently and been really into it for a little over a year and a half and recently learned about periodization and switching up workouts. I was wondering what everyone thought about this workout, I'm currently off lifting heavy and trying to lean out
Flat bench 145(weight) x 15(reps) x 2(Sets)
Incline bench 145 x 10 x 2
Decline bench 145 x 12 x 2
Arnold shoulder press 30 x 12 x 2
Angled machine shoulder press One plate each side(45) x 15 x 2
Alternating Deltoid Raise 10 x 12 x 2
across body hammer curls 25 x 10 x 2
close grip bicep curls 40(20x2) x 15 x 2
normal grip bicep girls 40(20x2) x 15 x 2
concentration curls 30 x 10 x 2
skull crushers 60 x 12 x 2
tripcep push down 40 x 12 x 2
rope extenstion 30 x 12 x 2
dips x 15
core workout at the beggining x 20mins

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Dorian12345
Level

Join date: Feb 2012
Posts: 35

Thats a nice workout u got!
Maybe add some rotator culf work before and after each training session,
and maybe increase some volume,i feel like only 2 sets arent enough for you,so your goal should be around 40 sets a workout,im sure if u do that frequently u will lean out.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Chris87
Level

Join date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1983

That workout sucks.

Read this entire thread:

http://tnation.T-Nation.com/...f_that_dumb_one

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

The Rattler
Level

Join date: Aug 2011
Posts: 595

Chris87 wrote:
That workout sucks.

Read this entire thread:

http://tnation.T-Nation.com/...f_that_dumb_one


X2. I have no idea how you can do all of that in one session.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

zonaguy10
Level

Join date: Mar 2012
Posts: 78

Wow this whole post is a mess. For one, the posters ahead of me are right, this a terrible workout no matter which way you cut it. If you are trying to lose weight you do not have to change the way you train, as it will have very little impact on your weight loss.

Just do what most successful bodybuilders do and focus on cutting out an appropriate number of calories and add in some early morning or post-workout cardio. If you like splitting your workouts into upper/lower body days, I'd suggest WS4SB or Lyle McDonalds generic bulking routine. If you want to take a more typical low frequency bodybuilding approach, just pick one from the link posted above.

But for the love of God, just don't do what you posted above.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

SnatchBrosOrDie
Level

Join date: May 2012
Posts: 21

I understand that, and yeah it takes me almost two hours to finish. Maybe I just have a higher threshold? What would be the negatives of my workout. I read the link you posted Chris and will take it into consideration but what would be the difference if I followed that instead of doing upperbody/lowerbody days besides rest time?

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

SnatchBrosOrDie
Level

Join date: May 2012
Posts: 21

Yeah I understand that, It takes me almost two hours to finish. Chris I did read the article and took it into consideration but what is the difference between that and doing upper/lower body days besides rest time?

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Casey_Jones
Level

Join date: May 2012
Posts: 2

what is your goal? lose weight?

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

dre1986
Level

Join date: Mar 2011
Posts: 410

The Rattler wrote:
Chris87 wrote:
That workout sucks.

Read this entire thread:

http://tnation.T-Nation.com/...f_that_dumb_one


X2. I have no idea how you can do all of that in one session.


Cause he must be using warm up weights, there's no way you can do all that whilst actually using weights that would clacify as proper work sets!

Op - way too many exercises, and not enough sets of the exercises you should be focussing on. Pick 4-5 exercises and do 3-5 work sets of each, that would equal a total of roughly 20-25 actual work sets. If you're actally challenging yourself on every work set then this should be more than enough. Remember this doesn't include your warm up. For upper body go with 1 horizontal pushing movements and one vertical, same for pulling but i'd add an olympic variation, power cleans or snatces ideally. For legs I favour 1 bilateral and 1 unilateral movement each for quads and hammies. Calves I don't train cause they simply wont Grow! So i'll leave that to you.

That would be my advice, hope this helps. And if you're questioning why, just read some of dan john's stuff, a lot of time keeping it simple is the best policy and will lead to the best results, once you've stopped progressing with the basics alone you can look to get a bit more elaborate but for the most part its not necessary.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

dre1986
Level

Join date: Mar 2011
Posts: 410

zonaguy10 wrote:
Wow this whole post is a mess. For one, the posters ahead of me are right, this a terrible workout no matter which way you cut it. If you are trying to lose weight you do not have to change the way you train, as it will have very little impact on your weight loss.

Just do what most successful bodybuilders do and focus on cutting out an appropriate number of calories and add in some early morning or post-workout cardio. If you like splitting your workouts into upper/lower body days, I'd suggest WS4SB or Lyle McDonalds generic bulking routine. If you want to take a more typical low frequency bodybuilding approach, just pick one from the link posted above.

But for the love of God, just don't do what you posted above.


X2 on the changing up your training to cut, its all about diet op

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

SnatchBrosOrDie
Level

Join date: May 2012
Posts: 21

Casey_Jones wrote:
what is your goal? lose weight?


Right now yeah, i'm not lifting heavy for a couple months since I pretty much have all year, so I shoot for high reps 12-15. I get the workout is a bit excessive and I do push myself, I've thrown up after a few workouts,etc. I'm not going and half assing it, but if I have the time do do more excersizes why can't I go for it? Also I have spondolyosis, one of my vertibrae are slightly out of place, so it leads to some Lower back pain, etc,

So i'm not really looking to go heavy on any olympic lift or anything that puts weight over my head unless im seating aka shoulder press, but it would make sense to spread out my workouts and I geuss add more recovery time between the muscle groups?

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Casey_Jones
Level

Join date: May 2012
Posts: 2

Op - way too many exercises, and not enough sets of the exercises you should be focussing on. Pick 4-5 exercises and do 3-5 work sets of each, that would equal a total of roughly 20-25 actual work sets. If you're actally challenging yourself on every work set then this should be more than enough.

X2

My mentor taught us that any time over an hour in the gym your body turns from anabolic to catabolic. meaning instead of building it starts harming itself (mind you this is training naturally i.e no prohormones, steroids, etc,.) a good range to time a workout is roughly around what dre said above, 20-25.

That being said, what others have said is also true; cut some calories out of your diet. Or even better, find out your daily caloric needs, then take out ~500 a day to put you in a deficit. As you most likely already know 3500 calories is equivalent to 1lb. Thus, 500 a day = 3500 a week.

Lastly, if you want to write a program to enhance the cutting do hypertrophy weight and reps and incorporate energy systems training into your weekly routine.

Don't add or subtract days to what you've been doing but change the order. Once you do something so long you get used to it. An act as simple as doing chest on wednesday instead of monday aka international chest day can have result in a change. Keep it simple, when training body composition stick to the 6 core lifts; those being: bench, bent over bb row, pull-ups, over head barbell press, squats, and dead. bigger muscle groups = more energy.

Hope that helps. If you have any other questions just shoot me a message.

"The harder you work, the harder it is to surrender." -Vince Lombardi

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

zonaguy10
Level

Join date: Mar 2012
Posts: 78

SnatchBrosOrDie wrote:
Casey_Jones wrote:
what is your goal? lose weight?


Right now yeah, i'm not lifting heavy for a couple months since I pretty much have all year, so I shoot for high reps 12-15. I get the workout is a bit excessive and I do push myself, I've thrown up after a few workouts,etc. I'm not going and half assing it, but if I have the time do do more excersizes why can't I go for it? Also I have spondolyosis, one of my vertibrae are slightly out of place, so it leads to some Lower back pain, etc,

So i'm not really looking to go heavy on any olympic lift or anything that puts weight over my head unless im seating aka shoulder press, but it would make sense to spread out my workouts and I geuss add more recovery time between the muscle groups?


I think your time can be better spent by splitting up the upper body into two separate days if you want to use a higher volume. Also, you are currently hitting bis and tris with a higher volume than chest and back. You might want to consider doing something about that.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Anus Bleach
Level

Join date: Sep 2011
Posts: 269

Casey_Jones wrote:
My mentor taught us that any time over an hour in the gym your body turns from anabolic to catabolic. meaning instead of building it starts harming itself (mind you this is training naturally i.e no prohormones, steroids, etc,.) a good range to time a workout is roughly around what dre said above, 20-25.

That being said, what others have said is also true; cut some calories out of your diet. Or even better, find out your daily caloric needs, then take out ~500 a day to put you in a deficit. As you most likely already know 3500 calories is equivalent to 1lb. Thus, 500 a day = 3500 a week.

Lastly, if you want to write a program to enhance the cutting do hypertrophy weight and reps and incorporate energy systems training into your weekly routine.

Don't add or subtract days to what you've been doing but change the order. Once you do something so long you get used to it. An act as simple as doing chest on wednesday instead of monday aka international chest day can have result in a change. Keep it simple, when training body composition stick to the 6 core lifts; those being: bench, bent over bb row, pull-ups, over head barbell press, squats, and dead. bigger muscle groups = more energy.


Is your mentor bb.com?

lol energy systems AND muscle confusion, plz share more of your regurgitated knowledge

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

SnatchBrosOrDie
Level

Join date: May 2012
Posts: 21

Alright cool, thanks a lot guy, I work with a trainer 2x a week, tues and thurs, where I pretty much do legs and core to the death, so i figure I can do upperbody and whatever I don't accomplish at my PT gym at my gym(Golds). So how many excersizes should i be doing PER muscle a workout?, ex. chest = 3 sets of flat bench, 3 sets of incline , 3 sets of decline ? Also how many times a week should i be looking at training each muscle group? Thanks

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

SnatchBrosOrDie
Level

Join date: May 2012
Posts: 21

Alright cool, thanks a lot guys, I have a better understanding of this shit, I mean I did but I'm stubborn as fuck and sorta enjoy going hard everyday at the gym. I read the Sticky'd workout "Do this instead of that" , what that be the ideal workout routinue, just exchanging high reps, since im doing that for the next few months?

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
1