Building High-Performance Muscle™
Bodybuilding
 
First Contest ~ My Prep Log
 

timmcbride00
Level

Join date: Jun 2008
Location:
Posts: 1085

JumpNZ wrote:
Bookmarking this to read over the next week. Thanks timmcbride00


No problem! It's a lot of reading, I hope you enjoy it and get something out of it.

  Report
 

timmcbride00
Level

Join date: Jun 2008
Location:
Posts: 1085

Pwolves and JumpNZ had some good feedback.

Side Chest and tricep look nice.

  Report
 

iplan
Level

Join date: Nov 2012
Location:
Posts: 146

JumpNZ wrote:
timmcbride00 wrote:
Have you seen my actual contest prep thread?
http://tnation.T-Nation.com/...93&pageNo=0

Lots of good discussion and information in there.

OK, your question. No offense, you seem interested in the protocol for weight loss, but the point isn't to lose weight, that was me screwing it up (twice actually, lol).

If you read the last page of my "mock" thread you'll see that I could have handled more carbs and probably more water as well. CT even told me that I could have carbed up more.

Further, if you scroll halfway down page 16 of my real contest prep thread, you will see my thoughts on the peak week. It is long, but if you take a few minutes to read it, it will really help you understand the pros/cons and let you make a good decision for yourself:
http://tnation.T-Nation.com/...3&pageNo=15

But if you still really want to do what I did, here are some explanations:

Near the end of this page (12) I outline what I did in 2012, look for "PEAK WEEK":
http://tnation.T-Nation.com/...ageNo=11#bottom

Videos on the following page (13) showing what I do during depletion workouts:
http://tnation.T-Nation.com/...3&pageNo=12

Neat the top of page 3 I mention what I did in 2010:
http://tnation.T-Nation.com/...21&pageNo=2


Bookmarking this to read over the next week. Thanks timmcbride00


Tim has probably amassed enough knowledge to begin coaching...... just my 2 cents.


  Report
 

iplan
Level

Join date: Nov 2012
Location:
Posts: 146

pwolves17 wrote:
You're definitely getting there man..still a few weeks away, but I think you'll be right on schedule for your second contest, and you'll be fine for the first one. Only thing I've got for you as far as posing is not to strain so hard..better to flex 80% and to look more relaxed, smiling, steady, etc. than to to hit a pose 100% but be shaking and looking uncomfortable. On your abs/quad pose, try taking in a deep breath at the start of the pose and slowly blowing out your air to fully contract the abs.


I was thinking about the straining ~ and thought I was okay, but you are correct, I am shaking some.....

The abs/ quad pose is my 'problem child' right now. Lots of things going on in that pose.....

  Report
 

iplan
Level

Join date: Nov 2012
Location:
Posts: 146

JumpNZ wrote:
iplan wrote:
Here's the youtube link to the entire posing session (hitting all symmetry and mandatory poses). Why in the world it is sidewise, I can not tell. Maybe if you turn your video monitor on its side it won't be so aggravating? lol



This is from this evening ~ cold. I wasn't focused on transitions ~~~~ so that's why they suck. lol I was actually just trying to 'hit' the pose. I need to work on those transitions though. Thanks in advance for your assessments & suggestions.


Least you pointed out the transition work. Fall straight back into your relaxed pose, keep upright, avoid the big exhale at the completion of each pose.

Keep up the good work though. How far out? I think we are shooting for similar dated shows..


Yep, that big exhale at the end is designed to keep me from passing out! lol Seriously though, I'll work on it, as well as getting back into my front relaxed.


My first show is this weekend. I'm not lean enough, but I'm competing in the Novice & Masters of a natural contest. It's funny, I was looking at some videos from another Natty contest, and I've got to say that many of the competitors in the Novice Class in that particular comp looked better in many ways than quite a few of the competitors in the Open Classes (there were tons of guys with a lot of size, leanness, stage presence). Hopefully I won't get blown off the stage too badly.

After the contest this weekend, the next scheduled contest is Sep 7 (an NPC National Qualifier). My newly hired coach is pushing me to skip the NPC show all together and head into the offseason to get nasty big. lol I think I might wait to make my decision on skipping the Sep 7 show ~ I like the idea of doing it, but my diet needs a bit of work. I've been at 1800 calories for too long as it is, and the new coach wants to get my metabolism & caloric intake cranked back up.....



  Report
 

pwolves17
Level

Join date: Apr 2013
Location: Nebraska, USA
Posts: 726

iplan wrote:
JumpNZ wrote:
iplan wrote:
Here's the youtube link to the entire posing session (hitting all symmetry and mandatory poses). Why in the world it is sidewise, I can not tell. Maybe if you turn your video monitor on its side it won't be so aggravating? lol



This is from this evening ~ cold. I wasn't focused on transitions ~~~~ so that's why they suck. lol I was actually just trying to 'hit' the pose. I need to work on those transitions though. Thanks in advance for your assessments & suggestions.


Least you pointed out the transition work. Fall straight back into your relaxed pose, keep upright, avoid the big exhale at the completion of each pose.

Keep up the good work though. How far out? I think we are shooting for similar dated shows..


Yep, that big exhale at the end is designed to keep me from passing out! lol Seriously though, I'll work on it, as well as getting back into my front relaxed.


My first show is this weekend. I'm not lean enough, but I'm competing in the Novice & Masters of a natural contest. It's funny, I was looking at some videos from another Natty contest, and I've got to say that many of the competitors in the Novice Class in that particular comp looked better in many ways than quite a few of the competitors in the Open Classes (there were tons of guys with a lot of size, leanness, stage presence). Hopefully I won't get blown off the stage too badly.

After the contest this weekend, the next scheduled contest is Sep 7 (an NPC National Qualifier). My newly hired coach is pushing me to skip the NPC show all together and head into the offseason to get nasty big. lol I think I might wait to make my decision on skipping the Sep 7 show ~ I like the idea of doing it, but my diet needs a bit of work. I've been at 1800 calories for too long as it is, and the new coach wants to get my metabolism & caloric intake cranked back up.....





I understand where your coach is coming from, but in the grand scheme of things, what's another 3 weeks of being hungry? I say do the second competition; you deserve to see yourself in true comp. shape after all the work you've put in

  Report
 

iplan
Level

Join date: Nov 2012
Location:
Posts: 146

pwolves17 wrote:
I understand where your coach is coming from, but in the grand scheme of things, what's another 3 weeks of being hungry? I say do the second competition; you deserve to see yourself in true comp. shape after all the work you've put in


Now see, I agree 100% with that notion. I've cut 42 lbs so far ~ why not see it to the end?

On the other hand the date of the second contest is 7 Sep. This is the same date as the South Carolina v. Georgia football game (4:30 kick). I have not missed an SC football game in many years ~ and I would hate to miss the spectacle of watching Jadevon Clowney eat the left side of GA's offensive line, Aaron Murray, that stupid bulldog mascot, and most of Athens, Georgia ~~~~~

Need proof that Clowney can consume Athens?

  Report
 

timmcbride00
Level

Join date: Jun 2008
Location:
Posts: 1085

pwolves17 wrote:
I understand where your coach is coming from, but in the grand scheme of things, what's another 3 weeks of being hungry? I say do the second competition; you deserve to see yourself in true comp. shape after all the work you've put in


I feel the same way.

  Report
 

timmcbride00
Level

Join date: Jun 2008
Location:
Posts: 1085

iplan wrote:
Tim has probably amassed enough knowledge to begin coaching...... just my 2 cents.


Oh, if you only knew how bad I want to do this for a living.

I love this stuff.

  Report
 

pwolves17
Level

Join date: Apr 2013
Location: Nebraska, USA
Posts: 726

timmcbride00 wrote:
iplan wrote:
Tim has probably amassed enough knowledge to begin coaching...... just my 2 cents.


Oh, if you only knew how bad I want to do this for a living.

I love this stuff.


You could definitely turn it into a nice side income/hobby! Throw out a Facebook status expressing your interest in helping people with their diet/training, weight loss, contest prep, etc., and offer to coach any dedicated individuals for 8 weeks for free. If it goes well and they want to continue with you, name your price for the next block of training/diet. You'll get mention by word of mouth by your new happy clients, and voila, you're bringing in a nice side income and having a blast!

  Report
 

iplan
Level

Join date: Nov 2012
Location:
Posts: 146

pwolves17 wrote:
timmcbride00 wrote:
iplan wrote:
Tim has probably amassed enough knowledge to begin coaching...... just my 2 cents.


Oh, if you only knew how bad I want to do this for a living.

I love this stuff.


You could definitely turn it into a nice side income/hobby! Throw out a Facebook status expressing your interest in helping people with their diet/training, weight loss, contest prep, etc., and offer to coach any dedicated individuals for 8 weeks for free. If it goes well and they want to continue with you, name your price for the next block of training/diet. You'll get mention by word of mouth by your new happy clients, and voila, you're bringing in a nice side income and having a blast!


^ +1 ~~~~~~

Tim, it would be easier than you think, and I believe it could grow into something substantial. Hang on, I'm putting my CFP hat on!

Okay: Generally, start your fees very low (to undercut the more established guys), and attract clients that have never worked with another coach before.

Gradually raise your costs as your volume increases. Even if you're only working with 3 or 4 people at $95 per month, I'd be willing to bet it would not increase your work load over what you're already posting in T-Nation, and who could not use an extra $285 per month to help out three aspiring bodybuilders? lol

All you'd need is a very simple website, and a paypal account.

There is a company called "Serif" that sells "idiot proof" and highly sophisticated software that allows you to build your site with "ZERO" understanding of code. I use it, and have had great results. Check out www.CarolinaCollegePrep.com or www.ClockWorkMath.com

With the software (that only costs $99), you can also create a forum to operate on your site, which would allow your clients to interact with one another, in addition to you. This is nice because it creates a place to go for frequently asked questions, etc. In this fashion, you'd link to an article you wrote on the forum, instead of typing new replies to email every time.

I'd also be a big believer in telephone interviews. It's more personal, AND quicker than typing.


I just hired a coach over the weekend, so regretfully, I will not have the distinction of being your first client ~ but if you do decide to hang out a shingle, I may join you at a later date.

This is what America is all about ~ providing a service to people who need it. You don't have to be an expert or know everything to get started either. You just have to know more than the guy who hired you, and then work your butt off to make sure he obtains the goals he's seeking to acheive.

  Report
 

timmcbride00
Level

Join date: Jun 2008
Location:
Posts: 1085

iplan wrote:
pwolves17 wrote:
You could definitely turn it into a nice side income/hobby! Throw out a Facebook status expressing your interest in helping people with their diet/training, weight loss, contest prep, etc., and offer to coach any dedicated individuals for 8 weeks for free. If it goes well and they want to continue with you, name your price for the next block of training/diet. You'll get mention by word of mouth by your new happy clients, and voila, you're bringing in a nice side income and having a blast!


^ +1 ~~~~~~

Tim, it would be easier than you think, and I believe it could grow into something substantial. Hang on, I'm putting my CFP hat on!

Okay: Generally, start your fees very low (to undercut the more established guys), and attract clients that have never worked with another coach before.

Gradually raise your costs as your volume increases. Even if you're only working with 3 or 4 people at $95 per month, I'd be willing to bet it would not increase your work load over what you're already posting in T-Nation, and who could not use an extra $285 per month to help out three aspiring bodybuilders? lol

All you'd need is a very simple website, and a paypal account.

There is a company called "Serif" that sells "idiot proof" and highly sophisticated software that allows you to build your site with "ZERO" understanding of code. I use it, and have had great results. Check out www.CarolinaCollegePrep.com or www.ClockWorkMath.com

With the software (that only costs $99), you can also create a forum to operate on your site, which would allow your clients to interact with one another, in addition to you. This is nice because it creates a place to go for frequently asked questions, etc. In this fashion, you'd link to an article you wrote on the forum, instead of typing new replies to email every time.

I'd also be a big believer in telephone interviews. It's more personal, AND quicker than typing.


I just hired a coach over the weekend, so regretfully, I will not have the distinction of being your first client ~ but if you do decide to hang out a shingle, I may join you at a later date.

This is what America is all about ~ providing a service to people who need it. You don't have to be an expert or know everything to get started either. You just have to know more than the guy who hired you, and then work your butt off to make sure he obtains the goals he's seeking to acheive.


Wow, thanks for the encouragement and advice pwolves and iplan.

I am getting more active on youtube and will likely finally take the plunge and have a facebook page.

Further, I will likely pursue and actual PT certification and look for part time evening work at local fitness center as a way to network and build clients.

Long term (VERY long term I should say, ha, ha), I would love to be able to ditch my job.

  Report
 

JumpNZ
Level

Join date: May 2009
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 13

timmcbride00 wrote:
Wow, thanks for the encouragement and advice pwolves and iplan.

I am getting more active on youtube and will likely finally take the plunge and have a facebook page.

Further, I will likely pursue and actual PT certification and look for part time evening work at local fitness center as a way to network and build clients.

Long term (VERY long term I should say, ha, ha), I would love to be able to ditch my job.


Good plan there, I was in the industry after completing my Sport and Exercise degree 10 years ago, but got out of it pretty quick (was not a big industry in NZ 10 years ago). Became a High School teacher and worked my way up to Head of Faculty, but I would kill to be back out in the fitness industry.

I have a number of plans to wrangle my way back in bit by bit, but they all take time, effort and a lot of risk which I seem to be very adverse to (mortgaged up to the hills and a baby on the way).

So all power to you buddy, you obviously have the work ethic and drive to succeed, so no doubt you will get there!

  Report
 

timmcbride00
Level

Join date: Jun 2008
Location:
Posts: 1085

JumpNZ wrote:
Good plan there, I was in the industry after completing my Sport and Exercise degree 10 years ago, but got out of it pretty quick (was not a big industry in NZ 10 years ago). Became a High School teacher and worked my way up to Head of Faculty, but I would kill to be back out in the fitness industry.

I have a number of plans to wrangle my way back in bit by bit, but they all take time, effort and a lot of risk which I seem to be very adverse to (mortgaged up to the hills and a baby on the way).

So all power to you buddy, you obviously have the work ethic and drive to succeed, so no doubt you will get there!


I'm risk adverse too, which is why if I break into the fitness world it will be in addition to my full time for the (very long) foreseeable future.

  Report
 

iplan
Level

Join date: Nov 2012
Location:
Posts: 146

My Abs & Thigh post just isn't coming together......

This was from last night ~ and I was a bit watery.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Assuming I can get this one fixed, the Most Muscular is going to be the new "problem child."

  Report
 

timmcbride00
Level

Join date: Jun 2008
Location:
Posts: 1085

Arms up higher, try to pull elbows up and back.
Chest high, big breath up in the chest and blow out as you contract.
Pull back on the lower abdominals (think sucking it in using transverse abdominus) as you blow out your air.

Right now it looks as though your lower back may be arched and your pelvis is anteriorly rotated. That won't work for this pose. It may be slightly arched when you are reaching your arms up, but as you blow out and crunch down, your back will be rounding to allow maximal contract of the abs and serratus.

Ab/Thigh also works well with one leg out in front and fully extended.

Hope that helps.

  Report
 

iplan
Level

Join date: Nov 2012
Location:
Posts: 146

Well Ive got 4.5 hours before finals.

The prejudging went pretty well. The novice field looked pretty close. There were 2 guys in the masters tall that outweighed me by 15-20 LBS each, and they were lean.

Everyone seems like they're in their own little world. Certainly not a ton of socializing going on - but I have met some nice people.

I'll post an update after finals.

  Report
 

pwolves17
Level

Join date: Apr 2013
Location: Nebraska, USA
Posts: 726

Great work! Enjoy the experience, and know that no matter how you place you've done all you can

  Report
 

iplan
Level

Join date: Nov 2012
Location:
Posts: 146

Well, I did not place in either of the divisions I competed in, but I did get my feet wet.

Here is the link to the Prejudging photos from the contest yesterday.

LINK
http://arielphotography.photor...

Password: natural

The Masters 40 - 50 are from pictures 287 - 305 (I think around page 9).

BTW, right before we took the stage, the back stage manager, told everyone not to do what you'd typically do on the symmetry round ~ or you would not be scored by the judges. He said, "stand straight up and down don't flare your arms out, etc, or you won't be scored"). The guy that won the group didn't pay the back stage manager any heed. I should have done the same thing ~ not that I would have placed had I done that. (I'm the guy on the far left in all those shots).

The novice pictures start on page 10 pictures at 336-350. They said that was a really close group also.

I've got work to do ~~~~~ Here is the weight class I was trying to make: Open Middle Weight < 176.25 lbs Page 2 pictures 53-92. I was 6 pounds over the weight limit to get into this group. It's a good thing I showed up heavy ~ lol.

Obviously being leaner would have helped my cause in this contest, but in the long run, I need more mass.

Anyway, I would love to hear some feedback/ suggestions, etc.


Best,
J

  Report
 

The Mighty Stu
Level 5

Join date: Oct 2002
Location: New York, USA
Posts: 9491

Okay,.. looking at the pics now, so here's some thoughts as they come into my head:

Masters Photos
-First thought is that the guy who ignored the stage manager's advice would have won anyway, so don't obsess about that. In looking at various photos of the contest, I don't think too many competitors took the advice anyway.
-You don't look out of place, so definitely be proud of what you accomplished. Getting onstage takes serious grit, and most can't (don't want to) do it.

Novice Photos
-You need to be darker, and definitely tighter. Nothing you don't already know. Size will come, but being better conditioned and able to display it means a lot at the amateur level.
-Quads look good in some shots, although hands on hips MM makes your arms appear small. Try experimenting with other variations.
-Back looks very detailed in RDB, but you'd be better served flaring your lats in that pose instead of scrunching up.
-FDB - Suck in that stomach, and flare those lats! Shove those elbows forward more!


All in all, knowing that you need to be leaner, as well as have a bit more mass to battle with, I think you did ok. I remember thinking to myself at my first show "oh man, just don't let me look out of place up there!"

Hopefully you are looking at this with a good sense of perspective, and possibly even itching a bit to see how much better you can do now that you've seen the inside of a contest prep as well as the stage lights shining in your eyes.

S

  Report
 

iplan
Level

Join date: Nov 2012
Location:
Posts: 146

The Mighty Stu wrote:
Okay,.. looking at the pics now, so here's some thoughts as they come into my head:

Masters Photos
-First thought is that the guy who ignored the stage manager's advice would have won anyway, so don't obsess about that. In looking at various photos of the contest, I don't think too many competitors took the advice anyway.
-You don't look out of place, so definitely be proud of what you accomplished. Getting onstage takes serious grit, and most can't (don't want to) do it.

Novice Photos
-You need to be darker, and definitely tighter. Nothing you don't already know. Size will come, but being better conditioned and able to display it means a lot at the amateur level.
-Quads look good in some shots, although hands on hips MM makes your arms appear small. Try experimenting with other variations.
-Back looks very detailed in RDB, but you'd be better served flaring your lats in that pose instead of scrunching up.
-FDB - Suck in that stomach, and flare those lats! Shove those elbows forward more!


All in all, knowing that you need to be leaner, as well as have a bit more mass to battle with, I think you did ok. I remember thinking to myself at my first show "oh man, just don't let me look out of place up there!"

Hopefully you are looking at this with a good sense of perspective, and possibly even itching a bit to see how much better you can do now that you've seen the inside of a contest prep as well as the stage lights shining in your eyes.

S



Stu:

Thanks for the feedback ~ like you I was worried that I was going to be blown away in my first contest, but I was closer than I originally thought. I agree that being 5 lb leaner would have helped, but the option to move the contest back 5-8 weeks wasn't in the cards.

I did find out that I finished 4th in the Novice field (2nd to last), and 5th (dead last) in the Masters 40-50 group. The Masters field went on immediately after the Novice field came off, so I didn't have any time to regroup. I don't think my posing was very good in that 2nd group, and at one point during the Masters Pre-Judging, I thought, "Don't pass out ~ just don't pass out!" lol

No worries. I'm going to continue to bust my rear in the gym to establish a better x-frame then compete in 12 months with more size, density, better proportions, and leanness.

I am going ahead and skipping that 7 Sep Contest, and getting a jumpstart on addressing the bigger issues. Since I'm past the first contest (which was the focal point of the thread), I think I'll end it here.

Much thanks for everyone that pitched in to help along the way. I'm amazed by the support I received in my journey, and count you all as friends.

Best,
J

  Report
 

Myosin
Level 10

Join date: Feb 2003
Location: Florida, USA
Posts: 502

Congrats. You looked like you belonged for sure. Hats off to you, this stuff takes alot of physical and mental work.

  Report
 

Ripsaw3689
Level 5

Join date: Dec 2007
Location:
Posts: 1494

Great stuff! Glad you stuck with the prep. Throughout most of this thread, I honestly thought you would get blown away but you definitely were on par with the other guys competing. Good work, hope to see you continue to compete.

  Report
 

pwolves17
Level

Join date: Apr 2013
Location: Nebraska, USA
Posts: 726

Great work sir, I enjoyed following along and I hope you enjoyed the experience, something not a lot of gym rats ever have the balls to do! Keep us updated on your progress and future contest outings

  Report