The Intelligent & Relentless Pursuit of Muscle™
John Meadows Coaching
 
Staples of a Good Diet Plan
1
 

yolo84
Level

Join date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1436

John,

What would you say are the staples of a good diet plan both in terms of food choices and supps and general health supps.

I have been using coconut oil and some of your other protocols alongside probiotics and that kind of thing but would find it helpful to have a condensed idea of what you think are key.

What are you thoughts on carb cycling and carbs in general both for gaining, maintaining and cutting?

Anything else on nutrition would be great.

Thanks alot for your help.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

yolo84
Level

Join date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1436

In addition -

- what are your thoughts on IF and carb backloading?
- what do you recommend for a client looking to lose 40lbs asap?
- what would you consider the minimum for effective workout nutrition?
- what are your thoughts on protein consumption (amount needed for gaining/dieting)?

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Jscoope
Level 3

Join date: Feb 2011
Posts: 170

Don't mean to threadjack, but to add on to these questions.

- What do you think of carb backloading for OVERALL Health?
After reading through the interview on the Mountain Dog Express site with Mr. Kiefer I was curious of your opinions on the idea of eating predominantly "junk" to get the carbs in late at night. I can see the value in his research for dropping fat and "ease" of following the diet, but it's still a ton of junk to be eating on a daily basis right? It seems like nobody has really asked him about that.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

thetrebel
Level

Join date: May 2012
Posts: 138

Would love to hear what John thinks about carb backloading.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

John Meadows
Contributor

Join date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1728

Here are some generic thoughts of mine.

IF - very good for general health and especially longevity. I do not believe it is optimal for muscle building though. It just depends on your goals. Is it good for fat loss, of course, any periodic starvation will do that though. If you are familiar with AMPk and M-tor and the effects they have on protien synthesis, and how this is impacted by long term fasting, you will see why I don't like it for the fastest way to build muscle.

Carb backloading - I don't mind some waffles, french toast, etc after training. Just get carbs in you and shuttle to muscle cells via Glut 4 translocation. I also don't believe in fasted training for my style of training (hard and volumous). I don't believe carb backloading has a "pre" meal, I could be wrong. I would never train on a an empty stomach unless I was doing abs, or maybe calves. I am also a huge believer in casein hydro and branch cyclic dextrin which are the primary components in Plazma and Anaconda. I know Keifer likes casein hydro, but I can't remember if he adds carbs to the intra mix. I would never give this up, as the effects on recovery are awesome.

JM

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

John Meadows
Contributor

Join date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1728

The other thing I wanted to mention, and I said this on Keifers show, both IF and carb backloading really drew attention to nutriton around the training window. In my opinion, this is really good, and is a huge step in mastering your overall nutrition.

JM

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Tomahawk007
Level

Join date: Mar 2013
Posts: 18

John Meadows wrote:
Here are some generic thoughts of mine.

IF - very good for general health and especially longevity. I do not believe it is optimal for muscle building though. It just depends on your goals. Is it good for fat loss, of course, any periodic starvation will do that though. If you are familiar with AMPk and M-tor and the effects they have on protien synthesis, and how this is impacted by long term fasting, you will see why I don't like it for the fastest way to build muscle.

Carb backloading - I don't mind some waffles, french toast, etc after training. Just get carbs in you and shuttle to muscle cells via Glut 4 translocation. I also don't believe in fasted training for my style of training (hard and volumous). I don't believe carb backloading has a "pre" meal, I could be wrong. I would never train on a an empty stomach unless I was doing abs, or maybe calves. I am also a huge believer in casein hydro and branch cyclic dextrin which are the primary components in Plazma and Anaconda. I know Keifer likes casein hydro, but I can't remember if he adds carbs to the intra mix. I would never give this up, as the effects on recovery are awesome.

JM


I want to step in and comment. Depending on the training time there is a "pre" training meal. Assuming your sleep schedule is somewhat normal if you train after 3pm then you will have a "pre" training meal. It could be multiple meals or a larger single meal. The only time you would train fasted is if you trained soon after waking.

Not 100% sure on Kiefer's view of intra carbs. I know some of the people on the DH forum have experimented with them including branched cyclic dextrin. I tried HBCD and really enjoyed the boost in performace and recovery.

Also want to thank JM for his articles on TNation. Just recently started reading them. Implementing a lot of the principles in my own training lately. Added the flat DB twist press to my chest routine today and it make a big difference. It really brought my chest to life. Helped warm up to avoid pain and just pump my chest full of blood. Have to say I have enjoyed all the writing on legs and back. Try to slam as much of it into my workouts as possible. Plus even got me do an "arm" day. So thanks for your great articles JM

Tom

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Spidey22
Level 1

Join date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3920

John Meadows wrote:
The other thing I wanted to mention, and I said this on Keifers show, both IF and carb backloading really drew attention to nutriton around the training window. In my opinion, this is really good, and is a huge step in mastering your overall nutrition.

JM


Concerning IF and CBL, stuff like that, I think I saw somewhere you found some merit in maybe shifting carbs to later in the day.

I guess I'm curious do you see any benefit in avoiding carbs up until your Pre-WO meal? Or do you like a pretty even distribution of macro-nutrients for meals outside the peri-WO window?

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

rds63799
Level

Join date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3730

very cool to hear John's opinion on IF. Very cool.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

John Meadows
Contributor

Join date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1728

Spidey22 wrote:
John Meadows wrote:
The other thing I wanted to mention, and I said this on Keifers show, both IF and carb backloading really drew attention to nutriton around the training window. In my opinion, this is really good, and is a huge step in mastering your overall nutrition.

JM


Concerning IF and CBL, stuff like that, I think I saw somewhere you found some merit in maybe shifting carbs to later in the day.

I guess I'm curious do you see any benefit in avoiding carbs up until your Pre-WO meal? Or do you like a pretty even distribution of macro-nutrients for meals outside the peri-WO window?



Well my opinion is that placing more carbs around training and less at other times is a good recipe for fat loss and muscle building at the same time. That's just my opinion..many would disagree.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

DoubleDuce
Level 5

Join date: Jul 2008
Posts: 12622

Tomahawk007 wrote:
Not 100% sure on Kiefer's view of intra carbs.


He says intra workout carbs are fine for longer/harder training sessions.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

John Meadows
Contributor

Join date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1728

DoubleDuce wrote:
Tomahawk007 wrote:
Not 100% sure on Kiefer's view of intra carbs.


He says intra workout carbs are fine for longer/harder training sessions.


Cool - then we are def on the same page. When I talked to Keifer about it, I told him my philosophy was that the nutrition shold match the training....and he agreed..so we definitely agree on that.

JM

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

DoubleDuce
Level 5

Join date: Jul 2008
Posts: 12622

What do you think of coconut water as part of workout nutrition?

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Tomahawk007
Level

Join date: Mar 2013
Posts: 18

DoubleDuce wrote:
Tomahawk007 wrote:
Not 100% sure on Kiefer's view of intra carbs.


He says intra workout carbs are fine for longer/harder training sessions.


Ya after thinking about it and getting some sleep I remember that now. I remember an example was strongman training. Pretty sure JM training would be another example.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Jscoope
Level 3

Join date: Feb 2011
Posts: 170

Thanks for the insight John!

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

John Meadows
Contributor

Join date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1728

DoubleDuce wrote:
What do you think of coconut water as part of workout nutrition?


AOK on that...

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Matias A.
Level

Join date: Jan 2011
Posts: 140

Yeah I wouldnt be able to complete a leg or back day fasted, but I do it for shoulders, arms and even chest sometimes...if its the case a pwo with stimulants is very helpful to get through to it.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
1