Building High-Performance Muscle™
Bigger Stronger Leaner
 
The Flame-Free Confession Thread
 

mutantcolors
Level

Join date: Feb 2013
Location:
Posts: 478

You are really missing my point here.

Browndisaster was confused as to why kickbacks leave him sore when dips are well known to recruit more tricep fibers. I explained the likely reason.
The rest is bonus material. Take it, leave it, be confused, I don't care.

  Report
 

Majin
Level 4

Join date: Jun 2004
Location: New York, USA
Posts: 1747

Bauber wrote:
I am still confused for what goal tricep kickbacks are good for that other movements can't do better?


How else are you gonna learn to kick with your arms?

  Report
 

Lonnie123
Level 5

Join date: Jun 2004
Location: California, USA
Posts: 6049

Tricep kick backs are one of the ONLY arm exercises that not only allow you to stand right in front of the DB rack when doing it, but have the added bonus of allowing you to physically block the walkway between you and the DB rack by using your hand as a brace on the rack itself, thus maximizing the amount of annoyance you can inflict on your fellow gym goers.

This is where it is advantageous over an exercise like a DB Overhead Extension, especially two handed varieties where you cannot physically block people from passing front of you as many gym goers seem to have as a high priority.

Secondarily, much like a tramp stamp lets gentlemen at the club know a gal is definitely DTF, a tricep kickback allows serious gym goers the ability to tell from across the room if a trainee is DTF in the gym (Destined To Fail)

  Report
 

theBeth
Level

Join date: May 2013
Location:
Posts: 1113

My tricep kickback brings all the boys to the dumbbell rack.....


I don't know why people do those period. All you need is a neutral grip barbell ( I don't even know what they're called - at my gym they call it the Beth bar because I swear by its efficacy in increasing tri strength for bench press).

And a set of parallel bars/gymnast rings. And the floor. Boom. Oh wrap a chain around your waist and attach plates to it for dips.

  Report
 

infinite_shore
Level

Join date: Jul 2012
Location:
Posts: 1324

Stop ruining a good thread.

C: There are too many people dishing out advice on here (and other forums) that shouldn't because they are not advanced enough. It is not hard to spot those you repeat what they have read somewhere on the net, rather than speaking from experience.

  Report
 

Quasi-Tech
Level

Join date: Apr 2012
Location:
Posts: 1042

theBeth wrote:
My tricep kickback brings all the boys to the dumbbell rack.....


I don't know why people do those period. All you need is a neutral grip barbell ( I don't even know what they're called - at my gym they call it the Beth bar because I swear by its efficacy in increasing tri strength for bench press).

And a set of parallel bars/gymnast rings. And the floor. Boom. Oh wrap a chain around your waist and attach plates to it for dips.


Beth beat me to it. This right here. The only people I see doing kickbacks in the gym, are the girls with the pink dumbells - sometimes red if they upgraded the weight - and the guys who don't know what they are doing.

Have there been any recent videos of pro's even doing kickbacks as they prep for the O? Just seems like one of those exercises that caught on somewhere but don't really do much. Beth, by all means, you and the other ladies should continue to do them, but merely for the sake of the average test level in the gym. Thank you for your contribution!

  Report
 

ryanbCXG
Level 5

Join date: Dec 2010
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 4966

Quasi-Tech wrote:
theBeth wrote:
My tricep kickback brings all the boys to the dumbbell rack.....


I don't know why people do those period. All you need is a neutral grip barbell ( I don't even know what they're called - at my gym they call it the Beth bar because I swear by its efficacy in increasing tri strength for bench press).

And a set of parallel bars/gymnast rings. And the floor. Boom. Oh wrap a chain around your waist and attach plates to it for dips.


Beth beat me to it. This right here. The only people I see doing kickbacks in the gym, are the girls with the pink dumbells - sometimes red if they upgraded the weight - and the guys who don't know what they are doing.

Have there been any recent videos of pro's even doing kickbacks as they prep for the O? Just seems like one of those exercises that caught on somewhere but don't really do much. Beth, by all means, you and the other ladies should continue to do them, but merely for the sake of the average test level in the gym. Thank you for your contribution!


JM does look like girl ;)

  Report
 

browndisaster
Level

Join date: Jun 2009
Location:
Posts: 2686

I haven't done kickbacks more than a few times, but will add them into my rotation just to prove how alpha and hardcore I am.

  Report
 

mutantcolors
Level

Join date: Feb 2013
Location:
Posts: 478

Hahaha, bravo sir. Bravo.

There's something about doing overhead tricep work that disengages a part of the delt that likes to assist in elbow extension...or something like that...which makes overhead work like rope or plate extensions valuable...but damn if I can remember the specifics. IDK, I have like 3,000 of those tidbits floating around in my head. I know slamming out some plate extensions toward the end wrecks me.

Okay, back on track with confessions: I am in Thailand to finish my degree and I am more interested in working out at this point in time.

  Report
 

browndisaster
Level

Join date: Jun 2009
Location:
Posts: 2686

mutantcolors wrote:
Hahaha, bravo sir. Bravo.

There's something about doing overhead tricep work that disengages a part of the delt that likes to assist in elbow extension...or something like that...which makes overhead work like rope or plate extensions valuable...but damn if I can remember the specifics. IDK, I have like 3,000 of those tidbits floating around in my head. I know slamming out some plate extensions toward the end wrecks me.

Okay, back on track with confessions: I am in Thailand to finish my degree and I am more interested in working out at this point in time.

different heads of the tricep too, right?

there was a huge guy doing super light tricep kickbacks using the cable machine.

my confession:
I think heavy lifts are good in the sense that 1) they're fun 2) they are time efficient usually 3) they train your "core" and other groups that need to support that weight

but from a bodybuilding perspective, I don't think it matters that much. I.e. you can stimulate your pecs from db flyes just as effectively as you can with db benches. If you want to get big, I don't think you need to do "heavy compounds" all the time. Well you do need to use heavy compounds, but they're not a lift

  Report
 

pwolves17
Level

Join date: Apr 2013
Location: Nebraska, USA
Posts: 713

Lonnie123 wrote:
Tricep kick backs are one of the ONLY arm exercises that not only allow you to stand right in front of the DB rack when doing it, but have the added bonus of allowing you to physically block the walkway between you and the DB rack by using your hand as a brace on the rack itself, thus maximizing the amount of annoyance you can inflict on your fellow gym goers.

This is where it is advantageous over an exercise like a DB Overhead Extension, especially two handed varieties where you cannot physically block people from passing front of you as many gym goers seem to have as a high priority.

Secondarily, much like a tramp stamp lets gentlemen at the club know a gal is definitely DTF, a tricep kickback allows serious gym goers the ability to tell from across the room if a trainee is DTF in the gym (Destined To Fail)


Lol! Well played Lonnie

  Report