The Intelligent & Relentless Pursuit of Muscle™
Bigger Stronger Leaner
 
Mental Perception vs Ability
 

Professor X
Level 5

Join date: Oct 2002
Posts: 51898

Legalsteel wrote:

Perhaps "normative claims" would have better expressed what i was trying to say. I am not sure that the distinction you are drawing is watertight. It is often a tactic to justify something by reference to it's societal occurrence and this is often couched in normative terms. Also, if you are saying that it is not strange, then why is this anything other than descriptive? If so, then it says nothing for either point that people often perform an action, therefore it is not strange for them to do so.



It is about reality....like you mentioned before, which is completely subjective.

For the record, you should post more. However, you come up light claiming that something we see as common occurrence in society in nearly all forms (movies, books, etc) is somehow now to be questioned as illegit.

In society, we ascribe mindset to action. This is seen in criminal court cases the world over.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Legalsteel
Level

Join date: Apr 2012
Posts: 142

Professor X wrote:
Legalsteel wrote:

Perhaps "normative claims" would have better expressed what i was trying to say. I am not sure that the distinction you are drawing is watertight. It is often a tactic to justify something by reference to it's societal occurrence and this is often couched in normative terms. Also, if you are saying that it is not strange, then why is this anything other than descriptive? If so, then it says nothing for either point that people often perform an action, therefore it is not strange for them to do so.



It is about reality....like you mentioned before, which is completely subjective.

For the record, you should post more. However, you come up light claiming that something we see as common occurrence in society in nearly all forms (movies, books, etc) is somehow now to be questioned as illegit.

In society, we ascribe mindset to action. This is seen in criminal court cases the world over.


Legally and factually, yes we do. FTR, I do not necessarily view it as illegitimate, my point is that occurrence does not, without more, justify anything. At the very least something descriptive is not, necessarily, something moral. Other than that, I accept your point.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Professor X
Level 5

Join date: Oct 2002
Posts: 51898

Legalsteel wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Legalsteel wrote:

Perhaps "normative claims" would have better expressed what i was trying to say. I am not sure that the distinction you are drawing is watertight. It is often a tactic to justify something by reference to it's societal occurrence and this is often couched in normative terms. Also, if you are saying that it is not strange, then why is this anything other than descriptive? If so, then it says nothing for either point that people often perform an action, therefore it is not strange for them to do so.



It is about reality....like you mentioned before, which is completely subjective.

For the record, you should post more. However, you come up light claiming that something we see as common occurrence in society in nearly all forms (movies, books, etc) is somehow now to be questioned as illegit.

In society, we ascribe mindset to action. This is seen in criminal court cases the world over.


Legally and factually, yes we do. FTR, I do not necessarily view it as illegitimate, my point is that occurrence does not, without more, justify anything. At the very least something descriptive is not, necessarily, something moral. Other than that, I accept your point.





...which is why I made that post. Even though you were mocking the analogy, it did fit in my view as I listed here.

Some have stated this is the most important factor of what we do....mental perception.

With it being the most important, it is odd to see people mocking the existence of a thread about it.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Legalsteel
Level

Join date: Apr 2012
Posts: 142

Fair enough.
This was fun, but I think I we have both made the points we wanted to. I think I have clarified my stance, so that's enough for me.
All the best.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Professor X
Level 5

Join date: Oct 2002
Posts: 51898

marshaldteach wrote:

Only within a given school or university though

If you live in a bubble you can get comfy with how smart you are, or how big/strong you are.

Once you tell those students that they rank in the bottom 10%, they will realize they are idiots unless they are clinically delusional.

Why wouldn't the person not know their own stats, or be able to use the stats of people who are at known levels of bodyfat and muscle? That makes absolutely no sense. I know I am 214 lbs, I can get my bodyfat tested.. I can look up somewhat accepted stats/estimates of bodybuilders to figure out where I stand. Students cannot do that.

As for "this isn't a bodybuilding forum", people who compete don't know their stats either, just like posters in this forum don't know their stats....

Also, pretty sure this is a bodybuilding forum, just for people who are interested in the gaining muscle aspect


Very good post.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

super saiyan
Level 2

Join date: Apr 2004
Posts: 4882

UtahLama wrote:
super saiyan wrote:
cueball wrote:
Legalsteel wrote:
It wasn't my example. Someone mentioned Holocaust survivors. I was the first to mention the actual compound, but the attribution of a particular mindset as a reason for survival was not mine at all. I was merely noting my incredulity at the analogy, nothing more. I could have phrased it better and that mistake is mine.



Dude, there's nothing to apologize about. This isn't even ABOUT that conversation. X just clipped a few words from that conversation that didn't have anything to do with what he's talking about and used it out of context so he can be "RIGHT".

It's pretty lame, actually, the lengths he goes to. This was just particularly sloppy and transparent on his part.


Good post. I didn't see a response to it.



Very good post.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Professor X
Level 5

Join date: Oct 2002
Posts: 51898

super saiyan wrote:
UtahLama wrote:
super saiyan wrote:
cueball wrote:
Legalsteel wrote:
It wasn't my example. Someone mentioned Holocaust survivors. I was the first to mention the actual compound, but the attribution of a particular mindset as a reason for survival was not mine at all. I was merely noting my incredulity at the analogy, nothing more. I could have phrased it better and that mistake is mine.



Dude, there's nothing to apologize about. This isn't even ABOUT that conversation. X just clipped a few words from that conversation that didn't have anything to do with what he's talking about and used it out of context so he can be "RIGHT".

It's pretty lame, actually, the lengths he goes to. This was just particularly sloppy and transparent on his part.


Good post. I didn't see a response to it.



Very good post.



Uh, we just got done discussing that post. Did you miss it?

We (me and legalsteel) agreed...so why keep posting the same post over and over?

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

super saiyan
Level 2

Join date: Apr 2004
Posts: 4882

Professor X wrote:
super saiyan wrote:
UtahLama wrote:
super saiyan wrote:
cueball wrote:
Legalsteel wrote:
It wasn't my example. Someone mentioned Holocaust survivors. I was the first to mention the actual compound, but the attribution of a particular mindset as a reason for survival was not mine at all. I was merely noting my incredulity at the analogy, nothing more. I could have phrased it better and that mistake is mine.



Dude, there's nothing to apologize about. This isn't even ABOUT that conversation. X just clipped a few words from that conversation that didn't have anything to do with what he's talking about and used it out of context so he can be "RIGHT".

It's pretty lame, actually, the lengths he goes to. This was just particularly sloppy and transparent on his part.


Good post. I didn't see a response to it.



Very good post.



Uh, we just got done discussing that post. Did you miss it?

We (me and legalsteel) agreed...so why keep posting the same post over and over?


Really? I didn't see the part where you explained why you took a quote out of context and tried to use it to help your argument.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

cueball
Level 3

Join date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1554

super saiyan wrote:
Professor X wrote:
super saiyan wrote:
UtahLama wrote:
super saiyan wrote:
cueball wrote:
Legalsteel wrote:
It wasn't my example. Someone mentioned Holocaust survivors. I was the first to mention the actual compound, but the attribution of a particular mindset as a reason for survival was not mine at all. I was merely noting my incredulity at the analogy, nothing more. I could have phrased it better and that mistake is mine.



Dude, there's nothing to apologize about. This isn't even ABOUT that conversation. X just clipped a few words from that conversation that didn't have anything to do with what he's talking about and used it out of context so he can be "RIGHT".

It's pretty lame, actually, the lengths he goes to. This was just particularly sloppy and transparent on his part.


Good post. I didn't see a response to it.



Very good post.



Uh, we just got done discussing that post. Did you miss it?

We (me and legalsteel) agreed...so why keep posting the same post over and over?


Really? I didn't see the part where you explained why you took a quote out of context and tried to use it to help your argument.



Nice to see they both agreed it happened though, right?

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Professor X
Level 5

Join date: Oct 2002
Posts: 51898

super saiyan wrote:

Really? I didn't see the part where you explained why you took a quote out of context and tried to use it to help your argument.


We just discussed how his quote was actually in context.

I am asking again, did you read those posts and understand them?

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

super saiyan
Level 2

Join date: Apr 2004
Posts: 4882

cueball wrote:
super saiyan wrote:
Professor X wrote:
super saiyan wrote:
UtahLama wrote:
super saiyan wrote:
cueball wrote:
Legalsteel wrote:
It wasn't my example. Someone mentioned Holocaust survivors. I was the first to mention the actual compound, but the attribution of a particular mindset as a reason for survival was not mine at all. I was merely noting my incredulity at the analogy, nothing more. I could have phrased it better and that mistake is mine.



Dude, there's nothing to apologize about. This isn't even ABOUT that conversation. X just clipped a few words from that conversation that didn't have anything to do with what he's talking about and used it out of context so he can be "RIGHT".

It's pretty lame, actually, the lengths he goes to. This was just particularly sloppy and transparent on his part.


Good post. I didn't see a response to it.



Very good post.



Uh, we just got done discussing that post. Did you miss it?

We (me and legalsteel) agreed...so why keep posting the same post over and over?


Really? I didn't see the part where you explained why you took a quote out of context and tried to use it to help your argument.



Nice to see they both agreed it happened though, right?


Very good post.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

cueball
Level 3

Join date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1554

Professor X wrote:
super saiyan wrote:

Really? I didn't see the part where you explained why you took a quote out of context and tried to use it to help your argument.


We just discussed how his quote was actually in context.

I am asking again, did you read those posts and understand them?



You quoted PB Andy, duh. His was the quote you took out of context, duh. What you wrote makes no sense.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

cueball
Level 3

Join date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1554

Professor X wrote:
PBAndy made the mistake of saying no one laughed at positive attitude.

This statement:
Indeed, the whole positive attitude spiel is possibly the dumbest thing I have ever read

Is laughing at that concept.

Therefore, PBandy was wrong.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

browndisaster
Level

Join date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2818

lol the answer to every single one of these stupid threads is "get your weight up, that's how I became better than everyone else here"

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

BHappy
Level

Join date: May 2012
Posts: 850

browndisaster wrote:
lol the answer to every single one of these stupid threads is "get your weight up, that's how I became better than everyone else here"


Obviously bigger posts count + bigger bodyweight = Bigger lean body mass.

Be carefull a side effect is real low IQ. Please never go over 40K posts.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report