The Intelligent & Relentless Pursuit of Muscle™
Bigger Stronger Leaner
 
Macro Talk
 

DoubleDuce
Level 5

Join date: Jul 2008
Location:
Posts: 12531

paulieserafini wrote:
DoubleDuce wrote:
infinite_shore wrote:
One thing I learned from working with Shelby and especially reading about natty competitors here (Stu, ebomb, etc.) is that high protein, mod/high carbs, and low fat is the way to go if (important) you have the self-discipline to be very consistent with it. Having a high carb diet leaves less room form errors/cheating I think because cheat food is often very high in fat and high carbs+high fat mix terribly. For a long time I was thinking that carbs are the enemy but realized that too much fat indeed makes you fat. Kinda duh but it really makes sense considering some basic physiology.

Having said that, I cut around 17kg of fat with the fasting approach - IF or whatever you call it. It worked great because it doesn't require you to the 100% self-discipline needed for the traditional BBing approach. Now I switched to high prot/mod carbs/low fat diet approach with 300g prot/220g carbs / 70g fat and feel awesome.


LOL. I couldn't be more opposite. I can eat all the fat I want and stay lean. Carbs do me in. gotta learn your own body.

300+ grams of fat a day FTW!



Have you tried removing a large amount of fat.

Then adding in carbs 5-10ish grams a week and slowly building up. Because this could offer a very different response over time. ( just because you are carb intolerant now does not necessarily mean you will be forever )


Kind of what I have been doing.

I've been adding some carbs back in during and after training. More on hard days less to none on easy/off days. But not because I feel like I need to, just because I can.

But eating fat, even in copious quantities, doesn't seem to add to my waist.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

infinite_shore
Level

Join date: Jul 2012
Location:
Posts: 1429

DoubleDuce wrote:
paulieserafini wrote:
DoubleDuce wrote:
infinite_shore wrote:
One thing I learned from working with Shelby and especially reading about natty competitors here (Stu, ebomb, etc.) is that high protein, mod/high carbs, and low fat is the way to go if (important) you have the self-discipline to be very consistent with it. Having a high carb diet leaves less room form errors/cheating I think because cheat food is often very high in fat and high carbs+high fat mix terribly. For a long time I was thinking that carbs are the enemy but realized that too much fat indeed makes you fat. Kinda duh but it really makes sense considering some basic physiology.

Having said that, I cut around 17kg of fat with the fasting approach - IF or whatever you call it. It worked great because it doesn't require you to the 100% self-discipline needed for the traditional BBing approach. Now I switched to high prot/mod carbs/low fat diet approach with 300g prot/220g carbs / 70g fat and feel awesome.


LOL. I couldn't be more opposite. I can eat all the fat I want and stay lean. Carbs do me in. gotta learn your own body.

300+ grams of fat a day FTW!



Have you tried removing a large amount of fat.

Then adding in carbs 5-10ish grams a week and slowly building up. Because this could offer a very different response over time. ( just because you are carb intolerant now does not necessarily mean you will be forever )


Kind of what I have been doing.

I've been adding some carbs back in during and after training. More on hard days less to none on easy/off days. But not because I feel like I need to, just because I can.

But eating fat, even in copious quantities, doesn't seem to add to my waist.


Yeah, people are different. For me the best thing about higher carb intake seems to be the energy, pump, and "fullness" I get. I also don't feel the need for pre workout stims anymore.

Anyway, under any diet approach the energy balance will determine body changes.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

giograves
Level 3

Join date: Aug 2012
Location: New York, USA
Posts: 290

Curious of the physiology... as we know how exo-insulin boosts the effect of peds 2fold, how can a high fat diet (since fat is not insulinogenic), net you your maximum gainz?>


Also personal chime in, after trying a few different approaches to dieting, I'm fully pro IIFYM+CICO now. I just could never tell the difference in body comp vilifying one macro over the other. Possibly only really matters when you trying to get contest lean I guess. That and personal energy levels.


45c
30f
25p

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

DoubleDuce
Level 5

Join date: Jul 2008
Location:
Posts: 12531

giograves wrote:
Curious of the physiology... as we know how exo-insulin boosts the effect of peds 2fold, how can a high fat diet (since fat is not insulinogenic), net you your maximum gainz?>


Also personal chime in, after trying a few different approaches to dieting, I'm fully pro IIFYM+CICO now. I just could never tell the difference in body comp vilifying one macro over the other. Possibly only really matters when you trying to get contest lean I guess. That and personal energy levels.


45c
30f
25p


Because you become more insulin sensitive, meaning less insulin does more.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

ZJStrope
Level 5

Join date: Aug 2009
Location: Florida, USA
Posts: 1228

I've been on a higher fat diet for a little while now as I found it helped me drop some fat. I'm now just eating more of everything, with a little more ephasis on carbs and it seems to be working for me. Not gaining that much fat and I seem to be gaining weight and getting stronger. 40p/30f/30c or a 40p/40f/20c ration. Somewhere between there.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

SavagedNatiion
Level

Join date: Jan 2013
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 337


6 am
6 egg whites, cup of oats, half a banana
Birthday cake

9 am
50 grams whey, sweet potatoes
Birthday cake

Noon
10 oz chicken breast, veggies
Chocolate birthday cake

3 pm

50 grams hydro whey, almonds
German chocolate cake ( forgot to stock up on b day cakes :-( )

6 pm
20 oz white fish mixed veggies
Cherry cobbler.

9 pm
Diet coke. Gotta keep your insulin in check guys.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Sutebun
Level

Join date: Aug 2011
Location:
Posts: 571

ryanbCXG wrote:
Personally I have experimented high carb low and everything inbetween. For me. High carb mod pro and low fat is where I feel best and can perform best in the gym and life in general. I have never done a true cut I have always focused on gaining though at times I would stall for months and recomp not on purpose. I have been working cals up and right now I am at 600+ carbs pro 200-250 and fat around 40-60g.


Hey ryan,

how much do you weigh? That's a lot of calories! I've seen you say you do intense workouts nearly everyday, but damn! I'm on a cut right now and your carbs alone are more than my daily intake haha.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report