The Intelligent & Relentless Pursuit of Muscle™
Bigger Stronger Leaner
 
Ideal Bodyfat Percent?
 

ryanbCXG
Level 5

Join date: Dec 2010
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 5283

I have always fluctuated 5-10 lbs even when I was 180

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

infinite_shore
Level

Join date: Jul 2012
Location:
Posts: 1429

The Mighty Stu wrote:
-I've worked with plenty of competitive BBers, and in their severely dieted down states, due to the low levels of bodyfat, fluctuations in weight simply due to water and glycogen storage are very very trackable (I know, I've been called the king of spreadsheets, I track everything). They can go up and down several pounds each day, it's true, (I fluctuate ~4 lbs throughout the day myself) but scale weights taken at the same time each day move only a pound or two at most. Usually (and I'm sure some people on here will attest to this) it is the care free non-tracking eating schedules that set up a dramatic effect once the #s are reigned in a bit, and someone takes a serious look at just what they've been doing. I've said it before (and I'm not saying this to stir the pot here), but anyone who 'magically' drops 5 lbs from missing a meal should take a serious look at their diet, and how much they actually weigh.
S


Perfectly agree on this one.
If you track your intake long enough in a sensible way, it should be easy to learn how your body reacts to different food intake in the short term.
It is annoying what ridiculous claims some of those non-tracking people come up with.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

The Mighty Stu
Level 5

Join date: Oct 2002
Location: New York, USA
Posts: 9714

I'm not denying water lost throughout the day, heck, I've done nutritional work for a number of professional athletes (not bodybuilders, actual athletes), and hydration is always a concern. Water weight lost, as any physique competitor who is right on the cusp of two weight classes on contest day will attest, can be easily and relatively quickly regained. If we're eating a healthy diet, even with regular daily sweat inducing exercise, how much glycogen can a person lose in a day, or even a week if they're replenishing lost glycogen, and thus lost water, throughout the day with a sensible diet?

It's like I said previously, scale weight throughout the day will fluctuate for everyone (especially for larger individuals), even more so if PEDs are involved (thanks for agreeing Bauber -lol), but as you were saying earlier, the body adapts. Klemszewski, Norton, all of the 'really really smart guys' that physique athletes work with (and all with Doctorates as well as personal accomplishments in the competitive side of things) cite the same studies about sodium and water. Apparently we can screw with things all we want, but not only will blood levels of sodium remain constant despite people messing with their diets (excreted sodium is a different story), but net water balance will remain fairly constant as well (Berardi touches on this in his PN text). That, along with personal experience with clients (competitive and non-competitive) as well as myself leads me to my statement about average daily scale weights being subject to only minor movement on a day to day basis.

(No, I'm not attempting to lecture X with information I'm sure is already known, but for everyone else, just take a moment and reread the information I just laid out. It explains a hell of a lot when you're actually arguing with your scale during a diet, or having to listen to a co-worker as they express confusion over their own progress.)

S

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

ryanbCXG
Level 5

Join date: Dec 2010
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 5283

The Mighty Stu wrote:
I'm not denying water lost throughout the day, heck, I've done nutritional work for a number of professional athletes (not bodybuilders, actual athletes), and hydration is always a concern. Water weight lost, as any physique competitor who is right on the cusp of two weight classes on contest day will attest, can be easily and relatively quickly regained. If we're eating a healthy diet, even with regular daily sweat inducing exercise, how much glycogen can a person lose in a day, or even a week if they're replenishing lost glycogen, and thus lost water, throughout the day with a sensible diet?

It's like I said previously, scale weight throughout the day will fluctuate for everyone (especially for larger individuals), even more so if PEDs are involved (thanks for agreeing Bauber -lol), but as you were saying earlier, the body adapts. Klemszewski, Norton, all of the 'really really smart guys' that physique athletes work with (and all with Doctorates as well as personal accomplishments in the competitive side of things) cite the same studies about sodium and water. Apparently we can screw with things all we want, but not only will blood levels of sodium remain constant despite people messing with their diets (excreted sodium is a different story), but net water balance will remain fairly constant as well (Berardi touches on this in his PN text). That, along with personal experience with clients (competitive and non-competitive) as well as myself leads me to my statement about average daily scale weights being subject to only minor movement on a day to day basis.

(No, I'm not attempting to lecture X with information I'm sure is already known, but for everyone else, just take a moment and reread the information I just laid out. It explains a hell of a lot when you're actually arguing with your scale during a diet, or having to listen to a co-worker as they express confusion over their own progress.)

S


Oh I agree I was just agreeing witht he daily fluctuations and mine always being quite large but also very predictable based on activity and carb intake.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

browndisaster
Level

Join date: Jun 2009
Location:
Posts: 2754

why even count anything or try to predict any of this - the body is way too complex for stuff like that. You gonna hit your macros after an apocalypse?




Stu thanks for your posts as always - what are your thoughts on peak week manipulations then? It seems like people are going simpler and simpler with this

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

The Mighty Stu
Level 5

Join date: Oct 2002
Location: New York, USA
Posts: 9714

browndisaster wrote:
Stu thanks for your posts as always - what are your thoughts on peak week manipulations then? It seems like people are going simpler and simpler with this



I think that when your body is as insanely lean as pre-contest BBers are, subtle little things do have the possibility to make a difference visually. BUT, while you can't really "fool your body" to the degree some people like to imagine, you can get some effect out of certain manipulations for short durations. It's probably safe to say that the extent to which different coaches agree with this statement will vary, yet all have been able to bring people to the winner's circle, so IMO it simple reinforces the notion of individuality.

S

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

browndisaster
Level

Join date: Jun 2009
Location:
Posts: 2754

The Mighty Stu wrote:
browndisaster wrote:
Stu thanks for your posts as always - what are your thoughts on peak week manipulations then? It seems like people are going simpler and simpler with this



I think that when your body is as insanely lean as pre-contest BBers are, subtle little things do have the possibility to make a difference visually. BUT, while you can't really "fool your body" to the degree some people like to imagine, you can get some effect out of certain manipulations for short durations. It's probably safe to say that the extent to which different coaches agree with this statement will vary, yet all have been able to bring people to the winner's circle, so IMO it simple reinforces the notion of individuality.

S

thanks. Now that I'm not so fat I'm actually seeing how big a difference holding water or being carbed up can make.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report