The Intelligent & Relentless Pursuit of Muscle™
Performance Photos
 
6 Months of Progress..
1
 

facko
Level 2

Join date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1619

I know that I need to put on a lot more mass..but this has been my progress thus far...excuse the quality of the pics.

6 months ago: (Only pic I have as reference)
http://i42.tinypic.com/24yagj8...

Here are some recent: (Again excuse the quality)
http://i42.tinypic.com/2njgabb...
http://i44.tinypic.com/2dm8u4w...
http://i41.tinypic.com/awxlwj....

Will upload the wheels tomorrow!

All I did was do compound movements with some isolation work 3 times per week and followed an IF approach to eating. This January I plan to go on more of a bulk and try to put on a good amount of quality weight.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

stefan128
Level 1

Join date: Jan 2011
Posts: 894

Looking good so far to me. What are your 1 RM?

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Spidey22
Level 1

Join date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3923

Do train the way Martin recommends?? RPT, 3 times a week? If you aren't too busy, maybe post your routine...

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

facko
Level 2

Join date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1619

stefan128 wrote:
Looking good so far to me. What are your 1 RM?


Pretty crappy..

BW 6 months previous : ~130lbs
Current BW : ~145-150lbs

Bench: 215lbs
Squat: 305lbs
Deadlift: 365lbs

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

facko
Level 2

Join date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1619

Spidey22 wrote:
Do train the way Martin recommends?? RPT, 3 times a week? If you aren't too busy, maybe post your routine...


I don't really do his reverse pyramid to the T. I know that I do more volume than he did/does/recommend. And I probably do more overall isolation movements than he would recommend. But, I do include his RPT principles for compound lifts a lot...I'll work up to like a very heavy set..then I'll reduce the load and bang out a higher rep set. Also..there was a period of time for approx. 1-2 months where I hit muscle groups approx. every 5 days, which worked out really to about 4 days per week as opposed to his recommendation of 3 days.

I also strangely will do legs on the same day I do shoulders..mainly because I wanted to be able to dedicate more time to shoulders than I'd be able to if I included them on Chest/Tri days.

Sunday: Back/Bi
Weighted Chins/Pullups - I've currently worked up to BW+45lbs 4x6-8
1 Arm Rows - 4x12
Cable Rows - 3x8-10
Barbel Curls - 3x10-12
Hammer Curls - 3x12
Finish with a few more sets of chins/pullups

Wednesday: Chest/Tri
Flat Bench - work up to 2-3 rep max, then drop load and do a set of 8-10
Incline Dumbbell - 4x10-12
Dips - currently at BW+70lbs 3x6-8
Overhead Tricep Extensions - 3x10-12
Kennelly Presses - 3x8-10

Friday: Shoulders/Squats
Standing Overhead Press - 5x8-10
Lateral Raises - 3x12
Seated Dumbbell Press - 3x8-10
Rear Delt Raises - 3x12-15
Shrugs - 3x15
Front Squats (alternate each week between front squats and high bar olympic back squats) - work up to 3 rep max, drop load and do 5 hard higher rep sets.

As you can see...way more volume than he'd recommend. I try to take short rests unless I'm working up to a max..so I'm still out of the gym by about an hour or so..sometimes a tad bit more. But never real long marathon sessions.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Spidey22
Level 1

Join date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3923

facko wrote:
Spidey22 wrote:
Do train the way Martin recommends?? RPT, 3 times a week? If you aren't too busy, maybe post your routine...


I don't really do his reverse pyramid to the T. I know that I do more volume than he did/does/recommend. And I probably do more overall isolation movements than he would recommend. But, I do include his RPT principles for compound lifts a lot...I'll work up to like a very heavy set..then I'll reduce the load and bang out a higher rep set. Also..there was a period of time for approx. 1-2 months where I hit muscle groups approx. every 5 days, which worked out really to about 4 days per week as opposed to his recommendation of 3 days.

I also strangely will do legs on the same day I do shoulders..mainly because I wanted to be able to dedicate more time to shoulders than I'd be able to if I included them on Chest/Tri days.

Sunday: Back/Bi
Weighted Chins/Pullups - I've currently worked up to BW+45lbs 4x6-8
1 Arm Rows - 4x12
Cable Rows - 3x8-10
Barbel Curls - 3x10-12
Hammer Curls - 3x12
Finish with a few more sets of chins/pullups

Wednesday: Chest/Tri
Flat Bench - work up to 2-3 rep max, then drop load and do a set of 8-10
Incline Dumbbell - 4x10-12
Dips - currently at BW+70lbs 3x6-8
Overhead Tricep Extensions - 3x10-12
Kennelly Presses - 3x8-10

Friday: Shoulders/Squats
Standing Overhead Press - 5x8-10
Lateral Raises - 3x12
Seated Dumbbell Press - 3x8-10
Rear Delt Raises - 3x12-15
Shrugs - 3x15
Front Squats (alternate each week between front squats and high bar olympic back squats) - work up to 3 rep max, drop load and do 5 hard higher rep sets.

As you can see...way more volume than he'd recommend. I try to take short rests unless I'm working up to a max..so I'm still out of the gym by about an hour or so..sometimes a tad bit more. But never real long marathon sessions.


I like your routine. It seems like a good amount of volume.... is squats (front and back) all you do for legs??

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

facko
Level 2

Join date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1619

Spidey22 wrote:
facko wrote:
Spidey22 wrote:
Do train the way Martin recommends?? RPT, 3 times a week? If you aren't too busy, maybe post your routine...


I don't really do his reverse pyramid to the T. I know that I do more volume than he did/does/recommend. And I probably do more overall isolation movements than he would recommend. But, I do include his RPT principles for compound lifts a lot...I'll work up to like a very heavy set..then I'll reduce the load and bang out a higher rep set. Also..there was a period of time for approx. 1-2 months where I hit muscle groups approx. every 5 days, which worked out really to about 4 days per week as opposed to his recommendation of 3 days.

I also strangely will do legs on the same day I do shoulders..mainly because I wanted to be able to dedicate more time to shoulders than I'd be able to if I included them on Chest/Tri days.

Sunday: Back/Bi
Weighted Chins/Pullups - I've currently worked up to BW+45lbs 4x6-8
1 Arm Rows - 4x12
Cable Rows - 3x8-10
Barbel Curls - 3x10-12
Hammer Curls - 3x12
Finish with a few more sets of chins/pullups

Wednesday: Chest/Tri
Flat Bench - work up to 2-3 rep max, then drop load and do a set of 8-10
Incline Dumbbell - 4x10-12
Dips - currently at BW+70lbs 3x6-8
Overhead Tricep Extensions - 3x10-12
Kennelly Presses - 3x8-10

Friday: Shoulders/Squats
Standing Overhead Press - 5x8-10
Lateral Raises - 3x12
Seated Dumbbell Press - 3x8-10
Rear Delt Raises - 3x12-15
Shrugs - 3x15
Front Squats (alternate each week between front squats and high bar olympic back squats) - work up to 3 rep max, drop load and do 5 hard higher rep sets.

As you can see...way more volume than he'd recommend. I try to take short rests unless I'm working up to a max..so I'm still out of the gym by about an hour or so..sometimes a tad bit more. But never real long marathon sessions.


I like your routine. It seems like a good amount of volume.... is squats (front and back) all you do for legs??


I include calf raises a couple times per week and will sometimes add in barbell step ups, leg curls or lunges. I forgot about deadlifts I do on back day. I recently hurt my lower back pretty hard though doing a 1 rep max attempt without proper warmup (idiotic..I know better)..So, I haven't been able to hit deads like I've wanted. I did however work up to a 3 rep for a tad below the knee rack pulls on my last back workout.

I find that doing 5-6 very hard sets of squats..particularly front squats is sufficient for my quad development at this time. I just make sure to make the rest periods as short as I can..and I'll take a couple pauses in the middle of the set so that I can bang out a couple extra after already being relatively fatigued.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Spidermanon
Level

Join date: Jan 2012
Posts: 14

Arms looking swole brah, when you bring your chest and back up combined with your small waist you'll be set!

(possibly some hair removal too, no homo)

Keep at it son

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

ryanbCXG
Level 5

Join date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5504

Great job so far man. Do you follow the lower cals on off days and higher cals on workout days? or do you do a different type of cycling or any cycling at all? Its pretty obvious those huge feed days (damage days) are going to the right place

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

facko
Level 2

Join date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1619

Spidermanon wrote:
Arms looking swole brah, when you bring your chest and back up combined with your small waist you'll be set!

(possibly some hair removal too, no homo)

Keep at it son


Haha..you aren't the first to tell me that! I'll think about it lol. But, thanks a ton for the kind words of encouragement!

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

facko
Level 2

Join date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1619

ryanbCXG wrote:
Great job so far man. Do you follow the lower cals on off days and higher cals on workout days? or do you do a different type of cycling or any cycling at all? Its pretty obvious those huge feed days (damage days) are going to the right place


Thanks a lot bro for the good words! I do follow the normal suggestion of lower calories on my rest days. I currently only train 3 days per week and keep calories/carbs pretty damn low on the 4 rest days. I still seem to make progress...

The damage days definitely worked at allowing me to basically maintain my bodyfat level and continue to make hypertrophy/strength gains in the gym. But, I found that it was impossible for some reason to reduce bodyfat. But, it's nice to know I could eat like 10,000 calories once a week and basically maintain my current level (for the future atleast). Even when I followed with a complete fast day after the cheat..I still only maintained.

When I started working with someone to design my diet (someone who only deals with IFing)..my calories got dropped lower on both days as he felt that I should get my bf as low as possible and then assume a legitimate slow bulk. I kept the damage days in, but found that I didn't really lose fat optimally. So, I've now cut out the damage days..and if I do have one it's definitely closer to once every 14 days..if ever. My take with cutting is..just do the work and get it fucking over with ASAP and move on to the good shit...i.e. a slow bulk.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

facko
Level 2

Join date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1619

Also..Ryan I sent you the other books you requested..unsure if you received them.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

ryanbCXG
Level 5

Join date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5504

Too bad about those damage days. You seemed realtively lean now. I agree about leaning out faster rather than slower. I dont have pateince.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
1