The Intelligent & Relentless Pursuit of Muscle™
Get a Life
 
Kirk Karwoski On Booting Dweebs Out of His Squat Racks
1 2 Next Last
 

Bricknyce
Level 1

Join date: Nov 2002
Location: New York, USA
Posts: 5068

www.youtube.com/user/tisuang#p/u/3/E58g-3K_wtY

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

gregron
Level 4

Join date: Oct 2009
Location: California, USA
Posts: 13490

the video isn't showing up?

.greg.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Bricknyce
Level 1

Join date: Nov 2002
Location: New York, USA
Posts: 5068

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Eric 2.0
Level

Join date: Feb 2010
Location:
Posts: 582

He comes off like a real dick when talking about throwing people out of the squat rack. I don't care how accomplished he is, if he's not exaggerating, he's just using his size/strength to bully people.

He wasn't even talking about people using the rack improperly, he said anyone using it would be thrown out. Bullshit. They pay money to be there, and I'm willing to bet at least some of them are very serious about training.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Bricknyce
Level 1

Join date: Nov 2002
Location: New York, USA
Posts: 5068

How about now?

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Bricknyce
Level 1

Join date: Nov 2002
Location: New York, USA
Posts: 5068

Eric 2.0 wrote:
He comes off like a real dick when talking about throwing people out of the squat rack. I don't care how accomplished he is, if he's not exaggerating, he's just using his size/strength to bully people.

He wasn't even talking about people using the rack improperly, he said anyone using it would be thrown out. Bullshit. They pay money to be there, and I'm willing to bet at least some of them are very serious about training.


Fair points. But I don't think he was referring to people who wanted to train seriously but weren't experienced as he. I think he was referring to people who "clog up" gyms, as I like to say.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Eric 2.0
Level

Join date: Feb 2010
Location:
Posts: 582

Bricknyce wrote:
Eric 2.0 wrote:
He comes off like a real dick when talking about throwing people out of the squat rack. I don't care how accomplished he is, if he's not exaggerating, he's just using his size/strength to bully people.

He wasn't even talking about people using the rack improperly, he said anyone using it would be thrown out. Bullshit. They pay money to be there, and I'm willing to bet at least some of them are very serious about training.


Fair points. But I don't think he was referring to people who wanted to train seriously but weren't experienced as he. I think he was referring to people who "clog up" gyms, as I like to say.


He didn't mention any type of person specifically, so I took it to mean any person. But if he was reffering to people who half-ass it and waste space, he comes off as a hero and not as a bully.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Bricknyce
Level 1

Join date: Nov 2002
Location: New York, USA
Posts: 5068

Eric 2.0 wrote:
He comes off like a real dick when talking about throwing people out of the squat rack. I don't care how accomplished he is, if he's not exaggerating, he's just using his size/strength to bully people.

He wasn't even talking about people using the rack improperly, he said anyone using it would be thrown out. Bullshit. They pay money to be there, and I'm willing to bet at least some of them are very serious about training.


Plus sometimes when I'm in the gym I think that would be kinda cool to do - boot people out of squat racks. You're telling you haven't been so frazzled because you were so hyped up and looking forward to working out, only to have to wait in rush hour traffic, change, AND THEN... wait for 15 minutes while some jackass does curls or 1/4 squats supersetted with texts and phone call?!

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

PimpBot5000
Level

Join date: May 2008
Location: Ontario, CAN
Posts: 3638

Sounds like a real fucking asshole. If you're in a public gym, you wait your turn, just like everybody else.

Hearing this meathead ramble on reminds me of that scene in "Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story" where that jock tells Bruce to get off his equipment because it's 3pm. It didn't turn out all that well for him in the end.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

PaddyM
Level 1

Join date: Mar 2009
Location: Connecticut, USA
Posts: 975

Eric 2.0 wrote:
Bricknyce wrote:
Eric 2.0 wrote:
He comes off like a real dick when talking about throwing people out of the squat rack. I don't care how accomplished he is, if he's not exaggerating, he's just using his size/strength to bully people.

He wasn't even talking about people using the rack improperly, he said anyone using it would be thrown out. Bullshit. They pay money to be there, and I'm willing to bet at least some of them are very serious about training.


Fair points. But I don't think he was referring to people who wanted to train seriously but weren't experienced as he. I think he was referring to people who "clog up" gyms, as I like to say.


He didn't mention any type of person specifically, so I took it to mean any person. But if he was reffering to people who half-ass it and waste space, he comes off as a hero and not as a bully.


Yeah, he mentions guys talking about chicks they banged at a kegger. So I think he means people in crowds not focused on lifting.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

polo77j
Level 4

Join date: Nov 2005
Location: Austria
Posts: 7666

He's a beast .. good post Brick

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Ghost22
Level 4

Join date: Mar 2005
Location: Louisiana, USA
Posts: 4231

Sounds like an asshole. An accomplished powerlifting asshole, but an asshole none-the-less.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

A Ninny Mouse
Level 1

Join date: Sep 2009
Location:
Posts: 997

Did you guys watch all the way through? At first he does say the stuff about kicking you out, but then he sorta qualifies it by talking about how he doesn't want to listen to half-assers there to socialize. Not EXACTLY qualifying it, but good enough for me.

Then it goes on a tangent about the brotherhoodliness of powerlifting, so... that stuff sounded pretty cool.

I recall seeing a similar video with like interviews and what not; is this from a series or one big DVD or something?

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Bricknyce
Level 1

Join date: Nov 2002
Location: New York, USA
Posts: 5068

You people are seriously telling me you wouldn't want to boot some people out or chuck a dime at some (not at the head) that were just taking up space half asleep chatting on a phone?!

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Bricknyce
Level 1

Join date: Nov 2002
Location: New York, USA
Posts: 5068

A Ninny Mouse wrote:
Did you guys watch all the way through? At first he does say the stuff about kicking you out, but then he sorta qualifies it by talking about how he doesn't want to listen to half-assers there to socialize. Not EXACTLY qualifying it, but good enough for me.

Then it goes on a tangent about the brotherhoodliness of powerlifting, so... that stuff sounded pretty cool.

I recall seeing a similar video with like interviews and what not; is this from a series or one big DVD or something?


It's from the documentary Power Unlimited.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Carlitosway
Level 1

Join date: Dec 2007
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 2283

All I got from this video is, if you're not serious about training/busting ass and he needs to use that rack your ass is going to get talked to or booted the fuck out :).

Now how hard was that to understand?

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Amiright
Level 1

Join date: Aug 2009
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 818

if someone came to use my rack when I'm using it with aggression like that.. even if i'm taking an extended rest between sets etc.. I'd put a 45lb plate through their head.

In a public gym.. you wait your turn or ask if you can use it in a decent manner.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

spyoptic
Level 2

Join date: Nov 2008
Location:
Posts: 1079

Middle school was just so fun, Kirk never wanted to grow up!

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

stockzy
Level

Join date: Nov 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 712

Bricknyce wrote:
You people are seriously telling me you wouldn't want to boot some people out or chuck a dime at some (not at the head) that were just taking up space half asleep chatting on a phone?!


Don't ever work in a gym champ.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

dianab
Level 3

Join date: Aug 2007
Location: Quebec, CAN
Posts: 2761

I never have a problem getting rabble out of the rack when I need it. Just bring a ton of shit with you, usually I have wraps, belt, water, training log, towel, sometimes bands, put it all down beside the rack, start rolling your wraps and give the clown taking up air in the rack a few critical looks. Most stutter out a remark like, I'm almost done, just one more quick set, and move on fairly quickly.

Note I said rabble, if there is actually someone squatting in there, or doing heavy jerks or something worthwhile, I sit patiently and wait.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Nate112
Level

Join date: Apr 2009
Location: Nova scotia, CAN
Posts: 940

PimpBot5000 wrote:
Sounds like a real fucking asshole. If you're in a public gym, you wait your turn, just like everybody else.

Hearing this meathead ramble on reminds me of that scene in "Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story" where that jock tells Bruce to get off his equipment because it's 3pm. It didn't turn out all that well for him in the end.



He said he waits 5 minutes, should be long enough to finish up.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

BobParr
Level 3

Join date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec, CAN
Posts: 1479

At my gym, I'm pleased when I see other people actually squatting or trying to. (Not very many do.) So I don't mind sharing a rack for legitimate reasons. But those who take up a squat rack for shit that they could do anywhere else in the gym: like curls, or dumbbell raises, or pullups (when there are other places to do pullups) really annoy me.

In the video, Karwoski specifically mentions the type of dweebs who sit there talking about who they banged at a party. I don't think his ire would be directed at other serious trainers who he found using a rack for its intended purpose. I don't know this about him, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn he's the type who'd be willing to help out a struggling newbie who was using the rack to actually try to squat.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

TheBodyGuard
Level 1

Join date: Oct 2002
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 9170

I used to boot them out if they weren't squatting or using it for a legit purpose. I'd just drop my bag nearby and say loud enough for them to hear, "I know someone is not using MY squat rack to do <insert violation of the squat rack code here>". I'd walk away to the locker room to "freshen up", return, and the scafflows would be gone.

Am I an asshole? Yes. Was I being a bully? I don't think so. I just don't have the patience to explain to every idiot that they can do <insert violation of the squat rack code here> somewhere else while I cannot squat anywhere else.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

TheBodyGuard
Level 1

Join date: Oct 2002
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 9170

I just watched it and I don't think he was referring to kicking out someone that was actually squatting. He was referring I think to people bullshitting around and/or hanging their shit on the squat rack. But it is open for interpretation b/c of the editing, and perhaps purposefully. And by the way, the spotters on his missed squat SUCKED. That's what always made me nervous about meets and max attempts. SMFH

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

TheBodyGuard
Level 1

Join date: Oct 2002
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 9170

BobParr wrote:
I don't know this about him, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn he's the type who'd be willing to help out a struggling newbie who was using the rack to actually try to squat.


There actually is/was a guy here on T-Nation that trains at his gym and if I remember him correctly he reports him as being a nice guy. Maybe he'll weigh in.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
1 2 3 4 Next Last
Topic is Locked
This thread has reached its maximum number of replies. Click HERE to start a new topic.