The Intelligent & Relentless Pursuit of Muscle™
Get a Life
 
Even More Movies You've Watched This Week II
 

usmccds423
Level 5

Join date: Jan 2008
Posts: 10527

Just finished TMNT, ahhh not bad...

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

pushharder
Level 5

Join date: Apr 2005
Posts: 38571

SexMachine wrote:
I just saw Apocalypto. I thought it was pretty good. It meets a very high standard in realism and authenticity. Excellent portrayal of the Mayan religious cult and a brutal human sacrifice scene. Easily the most realistic portrayal of late Toltec and Mayan civilisation in a film. Anyone seen it?


Yep.

A favorite of mine.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

roybot
Level 1

Join date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6792

Derek542 wrote:

<fingers in ears> Im not listening Roy


Join us, D.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

roybot
Level 1

Join date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6792

Derek542 wrote:
usmccds423 wrote:
Derek542 wrote:
usmccds423 wrote:
Derek542 wrote:
usmccds423 wrote:
Derek542 wrote:
usmccds423 wrote:
Derek542 wrote:
usmccds423 wrote:
It's actually 1 book into 6 movies. Even worse :(

?


Tolkien's original work was 1 book. It was later broken up into 4.

The Hobbit was always a separate book, the LOR was one book that was later broken up. At least that was what I always read.


You could be right. I've always heard it was 1 book not 2, but I'm not a LOTR purist or anything... I really don't know for sure. I could probably ask someone, I work where LOTR is published.

The hobbit was the first one he released and then he wrote LOTR. I have read both in excess of 10 times over the last 25 years. I can read the Hobbit in one night sitting, and stretching it out over three movies is a bit much. HOWEVER I am going into this series not be a fan-boy and yell about little things and added character. Tolkien is dead so expanding on the story line really doesn't bother me. I have enjoyed the series, has Jackson taken liberties of course, do I believe he is that far off the mark, No I do not. I will be going to see this with a few pieces of sushi and scotch in my belly, I will sit back and enjoy the fuck out of it and I could give two shits what anyone else thinks. :)


Ya, I've read the Hobbit, Fellowship, and Two Towers. I never did get to the Return of the King. Part of the issue for me (and a lot of people) is I saw the films first.

I agree for the most part about adding characters/changing the story. Sometimes the little details annoy me, but for the most part Jackson has been fine. His job is to make money after all. It's obviously worked.

See I had to read the Hobbit my freshman year of HS in 1987 (wow I'm getting old) and I enjoyed it so much but left me hanging. Especially in terms of the 5 armies battle at the end. That was why I picked up the LOTR on my own and started reading cause I wanted more.


Have you read the Silmarillion? I've heard that's out there.

I read parts of it, but didnt really do much for me. I read a lot of books and enjoy that medium of entertainment with my busy life. Its a way to escape reality and so I enjoy that aspect of reading. So I really never read Non-Fiction, I have enough of real life that I dont want to read about it. The Silmarillion reads like the bible.


Exactly. It's the Bible of Middle Earth. I just about managed to get through it by using it as a reference text for LOTR and that was just dipping in and out. Peter Jackson said that there's no chance of an adaptation as the Tolkien estate own the rights and they hate the movies.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

CLUNK
Level

Join date: Nov 2014
Posts: 34

SexMachine wrote:
I just saw Apocalypto. I thought it was pretty good. It meets a very high standard in realism and authenticity. Excellent portrayal of the Mayan religious cult and a brutal human sacrifice scene. Easily the most realistic portrayal of late Toltec and Mayan civilisation in a film. Anyone seen it?



I enjoyed it immensely.

After everything he'd been through, that scene where he sees the European ships in the lagoon gave me an odd sense of awe and foreboding simultaneously.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

pushharder
Level 5

Join date: Apr 2005
Posts: 38571

The Homesman was excellent. Two thumbs up for sure.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

SexMachine
Level

Join date: Mar 2011
Posts: 8138

Anyone like David Cronenberg's films? I ordered a few DVDs from Amazon recently and decided to get the Criterion Collection Bluray of Cronenberg's Videodrome with James Woods. I haven't seen Videodrome in years and I'm looking forward to seeing it again. I think it's a particularly relevant film today due to the emergence of snuff violence on the internet such as Islamist murder videos, Narco snuff and even the Canadian serial killer Luka Magnotta who filmed and uploaded his murder to the internet. There's a whole subculture of people who are into this stuff with websites like BestGore dedicated to it. It's very much like the concept of Videodrome. Great film but ultra-weird.



  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

dt79
Level

Join date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1336

Apocalypto is one of my favorite movies. I wish Mel Gibson would direct more films.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

dt79
Level

Join date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1336

SexMachine wrote:
Anyone like David Cronenberg's films? I ordered a few DVDs from Amazon recently and decided to get the Criterion Collection Bluray of Cronenberg's Videodrome with James Woods. I haven't seen Videodrome in years and I'm looking forward to seeing it again. I think it's a particularly relevant film today due to the emergence of snuff violence on the internet such as Islamist murder videos, Narco snuff and even the Canadian serial killer Luka Magnotta who filmed and uploaded his murder to the internet. There's a whole subculture of people who are into this stuff with websites like BestGore dedicated to it. It's very much like the concept of Videodrome. Great film but ultra-weird.





Not a fan of Cronenberg, but I did enjoy a rather underrated movie starring him called Nightbreed. Directed by Clive Barker.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

MaximusB
Level 5

Join date: Apr 2006
Posts: 15427

In the Line of Fire, pretty good movie with Clint Eastwood and John Malkovich.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

CLUNK
Level

Join date: Nov 2014
Posts: 34

MaximusB wrote:
In the Line of Fire, pretty good movie with Clint Eastwood and John Malkovich.


Oldie but goodie. I recall Malko was disturbingly menacing.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report