Building High-Performance Muscle™
Supplements and Nutrition
 
Sleepy After Eating Eggs for Breakfast
1
 

Goodfellow
Level 1

Join date: Sep 2006
Location: England
Posts: 2642

I was wondering if anyone would know the reason why having scrambled eggs for breakfast makes me really tired?

I have them with a small amount of milk and butter, thats it.

Would it be the trytophan in them or maybe I'm slightly intolerant?

  Report
 

Mateus
Level

Join date: Jun 2009
Location: Tennessee, USA
Posts: 792

How many eggs are you eating and do you ever have them at a different time of the day? If so, when and does it make you tired then as well?

  Report
 

ParagonA
Level 100

Join date: Feb 2008
Location:
Posts: 702

It's a bit strange. You have them without carbs?

Try these things:

- Eat the exact same meal at a diffrent time. I.e. for lunch or supper. Does this have the same impact?

- Eat a meal which does not contain eggs, but somewhat mimics the egg-breakfasts macronutrient profile. Try a protein shake with a relatively fast absorbed kind of protein (whey isolate). Does this leave you sleepy as well?

We'll know more than. There are manifold possible reasons for your symptoms. I wouln't even exclude that it's caused by too little/no carbs in the morning. Tryptophan overselection (tryptophan concentrations in the blood have to be muuuuch higher than other amino acid titers) is improbable, but I wouldn't exclude it without having your blood tested, or, at first, have you do the two "experiments" above.

  Report
 

Mateus
Level

Join date: Jun 2009
Location: Tennessee, USA
Posts: 792

It's probable that your blood sugar is elevated to a point that the insulin that's secreted after the meal is overcompensating and removing too much glucose from your bloodstream causing a hypoglycemic state.Much like the crash you'll experience after a sugar high.

EDIT: Just saw that you eat no carbs at breakfast. Eat carbs with them and see how ya feel.

  Report
 

ahu2468
Level 4

Join date: Jun 2006
Location: California, USA
Posts: 648

Goodfellow wrote:
I was wondering if anyone would know the reason why having scrambled eggs for breakfast makes me really tired?

I have them with a small amount of milk and butter, thats it.

Would it be the trytophan in them or maybe I'm slightly intolerant?




I would guess mild allergy.

Go with the idea of eating the eggs on a different meal and assess your energy levels again about an hour or so.

  Report
 

cycobushmaster
Level 1

Join date: Sep 2004
Location:
Posts: 1882

could have something due to the choline in the eggs as well. some people feel more alert, while others have the opposite effect....

  Report
 

PonceDeLeon
Level 3

Join date: Aug 2003
Location: California, USA
Posts: 6662

ahu2468 wrote:
Goodfellow wrote:
I was wondering if anyone would know the reason why having scrambled eggs for breakfast makes me really tired?

I have them with a small amount of milk and butter, thats it.

Would it be the trytophan in them or maybe I'm slightly intolerant?



I would guess mild allergy.

Go with the idea of eating the eggs on a different meal and assess your energy levels again about an hour or so.


Do you have any idea what an allergy even is?

If the OP had a skin reaction or a respiratory complications, that would constitute a POSSIBLE allergy. Drowsiness is NOT usually a symptom of an allergy.

  Report
 

ahu2468
Level 4

Join date: Jun 2006
Location: California, USA
Posts: 648

PonceDeLeon wrote:
ahu2468 wrote:
Goodfellow wrote:
I was wondering if anyone would know the reason why having scrambled eggs for breakfast makes me really tired?

I have them with a small amount of milk and butter, thats it.

Would it be the trytophan in them or maybe I'm slightly intolerant?



I would guess mild allergy.

Go with the idea of eating the eggs on a different meal and assess your energy levels again about an hour or so.

Do you have any idea what an allergy even is?

If the OP had a skin reaction or a respiratory complications, that would constitute a POSSIBLE allergy. Drowsiness is NOT usually a symptom of an allergy.


Forgive my ignorance as it was a slip-up in which I regurgitated something I read without critically thinking about it. I used the term "allergy" too loosely as a description of the OP's symptoms as he does not indicate any sort of inflammatory response to the eggs.

What do you say that he is experiencing then Ponce?

  Report
1
Topic is Locked
This thread has reached its maximum number of replies. Click HERE to start a new topic.