Building High-Performance Muscle™
Supplements and Nutrition
 
Storing Raw Egg+Protein Shake Overnight?
1
 

beats-
Level

Join date: May 2008
Location:
Posts: 14

I drink a protein mix in the morning after my workout and at night before i go to bed containing;

1 raw egg
1 scoop powder
1 banana
Milk

Im planning to make a double batch at night and then storing half in the fridge till the morning.

Will this increase chances of somenella poisoning?

Thanks.

  Report
 

Dirty Gerdy
Level

Join date: Apr 2008
Location: California, USA
Posts: 2829

Drinking a raw egg is already enough of a chance for salmonella poisoning. Leaving it in the refrigerator will just harvest the disease.

The only problem you'd have with leaving a protein shake mixed in milk overnite is the chance that it may "curdle" I think is the word.

Some shakes will turn into a thick "cheese" like consistency if not consumed after it is mixed.

My .02

Gerdy

  Report
 

Blashy
Level 2

Join date: May 2003
Location: Quebec, CAN
Posts: 96

The salmonella poisoning is misinformation.

First of all if the egg does not have it and you leave it in the fridge in a clean container it will not magically grow over night.

1 of every 20,000 eggs might contain the bacteria. So, the likelihood that an egg might contain Se is extremely small �?? 0.005% (five one-thousandths of one percent). At this rate, if you�??re an average consumer, you might encounter a contaminated egg once every 84 years.

I took in 6 raw eggs a day for 2+ years and intend to take in 3 a day once I am done my V-diet.

I would be more concerned in been poisoned at a restaurant (MUCH MORE Likely) than eggs sold in Canada and USA with all the sterilization they go through.

  Report
 

mikepop878
Level 5

Join date: May 2007
Location: New York, USA
Posts: 157

agreed, letting the egg sit over night probably isn't the best idea. i would stick with that shake in the morning, but why the large serving of carbs right before bed? I might switch out the bannana for some peanut butter or something fatty.

  Report
 

Joebus
Level 3

Join date: Sep 2006
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 63

Ok so it is 2008 and your still drinking raw eggs? It does not give more man points to drink a raw egg. Just buy some powder then you wont have to worry about a thing.

  Report
 

MrOldSchool
Level 4

Join date: Apr 2008
Location: Kansas, USA
Posts: 737

Dirty Gerdy wrote:
Drinking a raw egg is already enough of a chance for salmonella poisoning. Leaving it in the refrigerator will just harvest the disease.

The only problem you'd have with leaving a protein shake mixed in milk overnite is the chance that it may "curdle" I think is the word.

Some shakes will turn into a thick "cheese" like consistency if not consumed after it is mixed.

My .02

Gerdy


Raw eggs with salmonella have more to do with the environmental conditions of the chickens laying the eggs (are they cage free or stuffed in cramped quarters like convicted criminals?) Its kind of like the difference between store-bought beef and pasture-fed beef from your local farmer who lets the animal eat according to natures grand design. Their really isnt a point of comparision between the two, especially in nutrition and quality. Ive been drinking raw eggs (cage-free) for quite awhile and havent had any problems or anything even resembling close to salmonella poisoning. Heres a hint even if you do end up with salmonella poisoning... stuff your face with a high quality probiotic and the problem will rapidly go away.

  Report
 

SwD
Level 4

Join date: Dec 2003
Location: Quebec, CAN
Posts: 857

"Ok so it is 2008 and your still drinking raw eggs? It does not give more man points to drink a raw egg. Just buy some powder then you wont have to worry about a thing."

That's what I thought a few years back but "eating" raw eggs is healthier IMO. Chrsitian Thibaudeau does it and many others too on this site. My last food poisoning was at a restaurant. It IS 2008 to drink raw eggs - though I still cook them a lot too. Added in a shake you wont taste them or feel the texture.

To the OP, why the need to make a double dose, the cleaning of the blender sucks? At the very least, add the egg to the mix in the morning.

I've always wondered about premixing shakes as well. I never found conclusive info. What I do is put the powder in a shaker I bring with me and add water later.

  Report
 

Dirty Gerdy
Level

Join date: Apr 2008
Location: California, USA
Posts: 2829

BigKDawg wrote:
Dirty Gerdy wrote:
Drinking a raw egg is already enough of a chance for salmonella poisoning. Leaving it in the refrigerator will just harvest the disease.

The only problem you'd have with leaving a protein shake mixed in milk overnite is the chance that it may "curdle" I think is the word.

Some shakes will turn into a thick "cheese" like consistency if not consumed after it is mixed.

My .02

Gerdy

Raw eggs with salmonella have more to do with the environmental conditions of the chickens laying the eggs (are they cage free or stuffed in cramped quarters like convicted criminals?) Its kind of like the difference between store-bought beef and pasture-fed beef from your local farmer who lets the animal eat according to natures grand design. Their really isnt a point of comparision between the two, especially in nutrition and quality. Ive been drinking raw eggs (cage-free) for quite awhile and havent had any problems or anything even resembling close to salmonella poisoning. Heres a hint even if you do end up with salmonella poisoning... stuff your face with a high quality probiotic and the problem will rapidly go away.




Yes leaving it in the fridge will not give it the disease, just harvest it in your cup. You will only get salmonella if the egg has it already.

Gerdy

  Report
 

MrOldSchool
Level 4

Join date: Apr 2008
Location: Kansas, USA
Posts: 737

Which is the whole reason to get cage-free organic eggs even if it an additional cost. I bet my bottom dollar, the majority of eggs with salmonella are gonna be found in your typical-grocery store eggs.

  Report
 

beats-
Level

Join date: May 2008
Location:
Posts: 14

http://www.T-Nation.com/...agnum/index.jsp
TMAGNUMote]Joebus wrote:
Ok so it is 2008 and your still drinking raw eggs? It does not give more man points to drink a raw egg. Just buy some powder then you wont have to worry about a thing.


"im a very skinny guy, trying to eat alot and i cant physically fit anymore in. I need to get more into me so im adding extra bits to my meals like "raw eggs". Its got nothing to do with 'man points' as u put it. Id rather you not comment if your not trying to help.

Also... i clearly said i already drink powder.

------------to everyone else----------

Thankyou very much. I will buy free range organic eggs now. Any1 have any other ideas of what i can throw into my shake?

I was thinking cottage cheese, because i h8 the flavour of it on its own. It would be masked by the other ingredients.

  Report
 

Dirty Gerdy
Level

Join date: Apr 2008
Location: California, USA
Posts: 2829

beats- wrote:
http://www.T-Nation.com/...agnum/index.jsp
TMAGNUMote]Joebus wrote:
Ok so it is 2008 and your still drinking raw eggs? It does not give more man points to drink a raw egg. Just buy some powder then you wont have to worry about a thing.

"im a very skinny guy, trying to eat alot and i cant physically fit anymore in. I need to get more into me so im adding extra bits to my meals like "raw eggs". Its got nothing to do with 'man points' as u put it. Id rather you not comment if your not trying to help.

Also... i clearly said i already drink powder.


------------to everyone else----------

Thankyou very much. I will buy free range organic eggs now. Any1 have any other ideas of what i can throw into my shake?

I was thinking cottage cheese, because i h8 the flavour of it on its on. It would be masked by the other ingredients.


mix your cottage cheese with pineapple and strawberries. I guarantee you will like it.

This is one of those things that you will eat because of what it does for your body and not how it tastes. I, on the other hand, like the taste of it with the fruit I mentioned above.

Gerdy

  Report
 

lilronnie
Level

Join date: May 2008
Location: Ontario, CAN
Posts: 44

what about just using pasteurized egg-whites?? won't that eliminate the potential for a problem all together?? and also eliminate fat/cholesterol

  Report
 

LeanCleanGuy
Level 4

Join date: Dec 2007
Location: California, USA
Posts: 99


Yes leaving it in the fridge will not give it the disease, just harvest it in your cup. You will only get salmonella if the egg has it already.

Gerdy


To allow the egg to harvest and grow overnight could be a good thing for someone that is paranoid about Sal b/c one way to tell if an egg is infected is that it will smell bad. Bacteria is some pretty stank stuff.

However, I see no real advantage to keeping the shake mixed in the fridge overnight.

I've been eating 12-18 eggs a day for the past 3 months. Eat the yolks raw, often in a protein shake it tastes delicious. Cook the whites. Don't forget that half the protein is the egg yolk. Cholesterol can help supply testosterone production among other important functions for weightlifting. Raw egg yolk allows all the cholesterol to come through clean and not oxidized.

Also, I now consider raw egg yolk to be my MIRACLE food after seeing my recent gains improve dramatically.

  Report
 

beats-
Level

Join date: May 2008
Location:
Posts: 14

mix your cottage cheese with pineapple and strawberries. I guarantee you will like it.

This is one of those things that you will eat because of what it does for your body and not how it tastes. I, on the other hand, like the taste of it with the fruit I mentioned above.


Yea i hope that improves the taste for me, because i struggle downing it on its own. thx for the tip. ill tell ya how it goes.

However, I see no real advantage to keeping the shake mixed in the fridge overnight.


the only reason i wanted to do it was because i tend to run out of time in the morning and it would save sum time if it was 'premade'. thx for the advice.

  Report
 

Dirty Gerdy
Level

Join date: Apr 2008
Location: California, USA
Posts: 2829

beats- wrote:
mix your cottage cheese with pineapple and strawberries. I guarantee you will like it.

This is one of those things that you will eat because of what it does for your body and not how it tastes. I, on the other hand, like the taste of it with the fruit I mentioned above.


Yea i hope that improves the taste for me, because i struggle downing it on its own. thx for the tip. ill tell ya how it goes.

However, I see no real advantage to keeping the shake mixed in the fridge overnight.

the only reason i wanted to do it was because i tend to run out of time in the morning and it would save sum time if it was 'premade'. thx for the advice.


you can try mixing your shake the night before, but I think that when you went to drink it in the morning that it'd be pretty nasty. Most shakes I've ever tried this with turned south on me. You can still give it a go...

Gerdy

  Report
 

Nich
Level 1

Join date: Jan 2008
Location:
Posts: 1899

Dirty Gerdy wrote:
beats- wrote:
mix your cottage cheese with pineapple and strawberries. I guarantee you will like it.

This is one of those things that you will eat because of what it does for your body and not how it tastes. I, on the other hand, like the taste of it with the fruit I mentioned above.


Yea i hope that improves the taste for me, because i struggle downing it on its own. thx for the tip. ill tell ya how it goes.

However, I see no real advantage to keeping the shake mixed in the fridge overnight.

the only reason i wanted to do it was because i tend to run out of time in the morning and it would save sum time if it was 'premade'. thx for the advice.

you can try mixing your shake the night before, but I think that when you went to drink it in the morning that it'd be pretty nasty. Most shakes I've ever tried this with turned south on me. You can still give it a go...

Gerdy

I tried mixing shakes drinking half in am and then half in pm
didnt work the shake seperated and had a thick foamy type stuff on top and was nasty had to remix it anyways
didnt make me sick but I would suggest just mixing it slam it and be done


  Report
 

Joebus
Level 3

Join date: Sep 2006
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 63

beats- wrote:
http://www.T-Nation.com/...agnum/index.jsp
TMAGNUMote]Joebus wrote:
Ok so it is 2008 and your still drinking raw eggs? It does not give more man points to drink a raw egg. Just buy some powder then you wont have to worry about a thing.

"im a very skinny guy, trying to eat alot and i cant physically fit anymore in. I need to get more into me so im adding extra bits to my meals like "raw eggs". Its got nothing to do with 'man points' as u put it. Id rather you not comment if your not trying to help.

Also... i clearly said i already drink powder.

.


The whole raw egg thing just freaks me out. Not trying to flame. I would also suggest cottage cheese. Also if you are using a blender toss in half a cup of oatmeal and some peanut-butter if your looking to add calories. Part of eating healthy is making time to make and cook all of your food. It gets easy over time.

  Report
1
Topic is Locked
This thread has reached its maximum number of replies. Click HERE to start a new topic.