The Intelligent & Relentless Pursuit of Muscle™
Supplements and Nutrition
 
Elevated Liver Enzymes
 

phatphit
Level

Join date: May 2011
Posts: 192

basically means ur liver is working.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

ANIMAL M0THER
Level

Join date: Jan 2010
Posts: 534

This is an update on my situation.

From January to March, my ALT climbed from 78u/l to 98, finishing at a high mark of 208 u/l. Then in April, it dropped to 112 and then to 92.

The following test were performed:

- Ultrasound- normal
- Hepatitis A,B,C- negative
- Hemochromatosis- I don't have the disorder but I am a carrier of one trait.


My doc is happy with the ALT decrease and wants me to get it checked again(4 weeks after the last reading of 92.) He said that there was some kind of an assault on my liver. He does not feel a biopsy is necessary at this time.

My symptoms have greatly subsided and I feel normal except that I don't feel as strong as I did prior to this and I'm having trouble burning body fat. I also feel a little RUQ discomfort when I bend over and my thigh pushes against my abdomen.

What do you think? Thanks.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

ESX
Level

Join date: Mar 2012
Posts: 233

Mate i've been through all this. I won't bother you with the full story but after getting messed about by a GP i forked out to see a Specialist at a top hospital. He did a scan, blood test and full physical and sent me on my way!

After a week he called me back to get the results. They showed high ALT and Bilarubin, scan came back slight fatty liver.

He didn't even seem fussed by the results. Just said the raised ALT would be becuase of my weight lifting. That and the fact that the levels they use are a estimated level. Estimated for men, women, children, fat people, skinny people, 300lb body builders? No! Just an average Joe with an average diet doing average things. Bilarubin level was because i have Gilberts Syndrome. It effects liver function, but is harmless. 5% of people have it and most will never even know.

As for a fatty liver! 99% of the scans he's done will have a fatty liver to some extent. He just said vegaterians are actually some of the worst! Something about to much fruit!



So unless your skin colour starts to resemble Homer Simpson, or your pee looks like yellow radioactive waste i wouldn't worry!

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

ANIMAL M0THER
Level

Join date: Jan 2010
Posts: 534

ESX wrote:
Mate i've been through all this. I won't bother you with the full story but after getting messed about by a GP i forked out to see a Specialist at a top hospital. He did a scan, blood test and full physical and sent me on my way!

After a week he called me back to get the results. They showed high ALT and Bilarubin, scan came back slight fatty liver.

He didn't even seem fussed by the results. Just said the raised ALT would be becuase of my weight lifting. That and the fact that the levels they use are a estimated level. Estimated for men, women, children, fat people, skinny people, 300lb body builders? No! Just an average Joe with an average diet doing average things. Bilarubin level was because i have Gilberts Syndrome. It effects liver function, but is harmless. 5% of people have it and most will never even know.

As for a fatty liver! 99% of the scans he's done will have a fatty liver to some extent. He just said vegaterians are actually some of the worst! Something about to much fruit!



So unless your skin colour starts to resemble Homer Simpson, or your pee looks like yellow radioactive waste i wouldn't worry!


Im concerned because I still have discomfort on my right side. There definitely is something going on in my GI tract and it's affecting my liver.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

ESX
Level

Join date: Mar 2012
Posts: 233

Dude you've had the liver and surrounding area scanned and they've done a Hep check. Thats ruled out the bad stuff. Is the discomfort bad or just a dull ache? Did the doctor say you have a problem with the GI tract?

Not feeling as strong or having problems burning body fat would be a different problem all together and would have nothing to do with liver function.

It sounds like your problems are the same as what i had. As soon as i got the all clear the dull ache i had in my liver area suddenly went! Get what im saying?

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

kakno
Level

Join date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2764

So your AST, GT, ALP, bilirubin, PK/INR and albumin are fine?

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

ANIMAL M0THER
Level

Join date: Jan 2010
Posts: 534

kakno wrote:
So your AST, GT, ALP, bilirubin, PK/INR and albumin are fine?


Yea. It's only the ALT that was high, but it's slowly coming back down. High mark was 208, then down to 112 then 98. I'm getting another liver panel done this weekend. I just still have that discomfort in my right side. Almost like it's the inflammation or feels like something is there.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

qsar
Level 1

Join date: Nov 2011
Posts: 172

ANIMAL M0THER wrote:
kakno wrote:
So your AST, GT, ALP, bilirubin, PK/INR and albumin are fine?


Yea. It's only the ALT that was high, but it's slowly coming back down. High mark was 208, then down to 112 then 98. I'm getting another liver panel done this weekend. I just still have that discomfort in my right side. Almost like it's the inflammation or feels like something is there.


As far as the theory that the high ALT numbers are related to weightlifting, did you decrease or stop weightlifting before your numbers went down? Do you see a correlation?

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

ANIMAL M0THER
Level

Join date: Jan 2010
Posts: 534

qsar wrote:
ANIMAL M0THER wrote:
kakno wrote:
So your AST, GT, ALP, bilirubin, PK/INR and albumin are fine?


Yea. It's only the ALT that was high, but it's slowly coming back down. High mark was 208, then down to 112 then 98. I'm getting another liver panel done this weekend. I just still have that discomfort in my right side. Almost like it's the inflammation or feels like something is there.


As far as the theory that the high ALT numbers are related to weightlifting, did you decrease or stop weightlifting before your numbers went down? Do you see a correlation?


They continued to increase even after I stopped lifting.


  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

ANIMAL M0THER
Level

Join date: Jan 2010
Posts: 534

ALT is down to 78 and celiac panel came back negative. I've seen two gastroenterologists and they don't know what's wrong.


The only way to know for sure is a liver biopsy.

ps. I have been on a gluten-free diet the past week and I have lost fat, feel better and have improved digestion(no bloat at all.)

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

hipsr4runnin
Level 4

Join date: Nov 2008
Posts: 712

AM: Interesting amigo. You should post that gluten observation in the other gluten forums where people are saying its an over blown theory and way more people can handle gluten than thought and its a safe product etc etc. Your feed back is the same I get from my clients.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report