The Intelligent & Relentless Pursuit of Muscle™
Supplements and Nutrition
 
Brain Function Boosters 4.0
 

MAF14
Level 2

Join date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2528

golder wrote:
Why do people choose DMAE > Choline CDP? Is it jut price difference? I was told by quite a few people that Choline CDP was the superior product.


DMAE is the most cost efficient.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

golder
Level

Join date: Feb 2010
Posts: 70

Same effects as CDP choline? Is it as safe as choline CDP? Would I use the same amount of DMAE as I would use choline CDP?

Sorry about this, I've realised that choline CDP isn't cost effective if I'm going to be replenshing Ach levels this regularly, so I need to use DMAE as a substitute.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

MAF14
Level 2

Join date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2528

golder wrote:
Same effects as CDP choline? Is it as safe as choline CDP? Would I use the same amount of DMAE as I would use choline CDP?

Sorry about this, I've realised that choline CDP isn't cost effective if I'm going to be replenshing Ach levels this regularly, so I need to use DMAE as a substitute.


I can't comment on CDP's effectiveness. I have only tried Choline Bi and DMAE. DMAE seems to be the choline of choice though.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

MAF14
Level 2

Join date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2528

So I know BBB has mentioned this before but I have to agree using stims for studying is not a good idea. I took some 1,3DMAA and had a cup of coffee and now all I want to do is squat my balls off... Figured since my adrenals were whacked out I wouldn't respond like this but I like just using the Racetams more even if the slight effect I get is just placebo.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

ryanbCXG
Level 5

Join date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5635

So any ideas on how to measure 100-200mg of DMAE powder? I dont have a scale that accurate my food scale only does grams.....do I have to bite the bullet and buy a more accurate scale?

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

MattyG35
Level

Join date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3414

Considering only 33% of it is effective, I'd probably start higher(600mg or more, but always go on how you feel). No scale, a 1/4 teaspoon is ~650 mg, but that's not much help for you. What I did was got some measuring spoons, and found one that was 1 teaspoon, and just fill it like 1/4 of the way(not trying to be a smart ass, this is what I did). Without a scale your options are somewhat limited.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

MAF14
Level 2

Join date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2528

MattyG35 wrote:
Considering only 33% of it is effective, I'd probably start higher(600mg or more, but always go on how you feel). No scale, a 1/4 teaspoon is ~650 mg, but that's not much help for you. What I did was got some measuring spoons, and found one that was 1 teaspoon, and just fill it like 1/4 of the way(not trying to be a smart ass, this is what I did). Without a scale your options are somewhat limited.


I assume you have DMAE from the smart guy who sells powders, right?

Anyway, I may just be an idiot but I get so confused by that guys labels... For instance my DMAE reads as follows:

Serving Size: 600mg
Serv per Container: 833
1/4 TSP: 740mg

DMAE = 200mg per serving

So to get the 600mg required for the NS stack, 1/4 tsp would be enough right?

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

GrassHopper1337
Level

Join date: Feb 2012
Posts: 21

MAF14 wrote:
So I know BBB has mentioned this before but I have to agree using stims for studying is not a good idea. I took some 1,3DMAA and had a cup of coffee and now all I want to do is squat my balls off... Figured since my adrenals were whacked out I wouldn't respond like this but I like just using the Racetams more even if the slight effect I get is just placebo.


Nice sounds like the same stack I am using, only I dump about 60-70mg DMAA and 300mg Caffine (as Caffeine Anhydrous) into a can of Zevia or some Stevia sweetened carbonated soda. This usually has me flying within 30mins of consumption. Great for workouts to say the least, but not so great for Carido. Speaking of Racetams and Cholinergics, I typically use a Nootropic called Neuro Boost Piracetam with Lef Citicholine. Typical dosage for me is 2,400 - 3,200mg 3 times a day with 250mg of Citicholine (AKA CDP Choline) per session. This usually gets my brain fired up and it gives me the cognitive focus I need for power lifting and for train of thought. I believe Neuro Boost stimulates the the production of (ATP) Adenosine Triphosphate which is compromised in the flow of energy given throughout the muscles in the body. Also Citicholine has been stated to increase the production of Acetylcholine throughout the brain at a much higher rate than lower choline sources. It can be expensive, but for me I use it in moderation - typically using 1 dose of 250mg two or three times a day. I believe the racetam acts of improving the activities withing the Acetylcholine synapse and receptors which consist of the memory development and processes.

Btw, DMAA/Citi/NB/Caffeine = supreme stimulation throughout the body. This works every time for me.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

GrassHopper1337
Level

Join date: Feb 2012
Posts: 21

MAF14 wrote:
So I know BBB has mentioned this before but I have to agree using stims for studying is not a good idea. I took some 1,3DMAA and had a cup of coffee and now all I want to do is squat my balls off... Figured since my adrenals were whacked out I wouldn't respond like this but I like just using the Racetams more even if the slight effect I get is just placebo.


Nice sounds like the same stack I am using, only I dump about 60-70mg DMAA and 300mg Caffine (as Caffeine Anhydrous) into a can of Zevia or some Stevia sweetened carbonated soda. This usually has me flying within 30mins of consumption. Great for workouts to say the least, but not so great for Carido. Speaking of Racetams and Cholinergics, I typically use a Nootropic called Neuro Boost Piracetam with Lef Citicholine. Typical dosage for me is 2,400 - 3,200mg 3 times a day with 250mg of Citicholine (AKA CDP Choline) per session. This usually gets my brain fired up and it gives me the cognitive focus I need for power lifting and for train of thought. I believe Neuro Boost stimulates the the production of (ATP) Adenosine Triphosphate which is compromised in the flow of energy given throughout the muscles in the body. Also Citicholine has been stated to increase the production of Acetylcholine throughout the brain at a much higher rate than lower choline sources. It can be expensive, but for me I use it in moderation - typically using 1 dose of 250mg two or three times a day. I believe the racetam acts of improving the activities withing the Acetylcholine synapse and receptors which consist of the memory development and processes.

Btw, DMAA/Citi/NB/Caffeine = supreme stimulation throughout the body. This works every time for me.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

MattyG35
Level

Join date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3414

MAF14 wrote:
MattyG35 wrote:
Considering only 33% of it is effective, I'd probably start higher(600mg or more, but always go on how you feel). No scale, a 1/4 teaspoon is ~650 mg, but that's not much help for you. What I did was got some measuring spoons, and found one that was 1 teaspoon, and just fill it like 1/4 of the way(not trying to be a smart ass, this is what I did). Without a scale your options are somewhat limited.


I assume you have DMAE from the smart guy who sells powders, right?

Anyway, I may just be an idiot but I get so confused by that guys labels... For instance my DMAE reads as follows:

Serving Size: 600mg
Serv per Container: 833
1/4 TSP: 740mg

DMAE = 200mg per serving

So to get the 600mg required for the NS stack, 1/4 tsp would be enough right?


Yeah it's a bit of mental juggling, but that seems right. Whatever dose you're looking for, just go .33 x mass. I think he has the 1/4 tsp = 740, as a reference point for people.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

golder
Level

Join date: Feb 2010
Posts: 70

Just about to rebuy a Ach precursor for my nootropic use and I was just about to purchase DMAE (as its the cheapest and extensively recommend on this thread) but I've noticed that alpha GPC is on sale and I'm able to get it for the same price. Would you advise getting the alpha GPC instead?
Thanks.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

MattyG35
Level

Join date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3414

Get some of both, see how you respond. I've heard lots of good things from AGPC, and I'll probably pick some up this summer.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

golder
Level

Join date: Feb 2010
Posts: 70

Cheers Matty, yeah I'll give it a go in replacement for my DMAE.
I would be really grateful if anyone could actually tell me the difference between:
Alpha GPC
Choline CDP
DMAE

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

middleageguy
Level

Join date: Aug 2004
Posts: 189

golder wrote:
Cheers Matty, yeah I'll give it a go in replacement for my DMAE.
I would be really grateful if anyone could actually tell me the difference between:
Alpha GPC
Choline CDP
DMAE

Alpha GPC is the only one that has positive effects on me...calm clear head. CDP gave me heart pounding anxiety and DMAE a strange brain fog....so everyone is different.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

golder
Level

Join date: Feb 2010
Posts: 70

Cheers middleage. I guess I'll try them all out. Are they all to be taken with food? What sort of doses for each so I can gauge effectiveness?
Thanks.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

MAF14
Level 2

Join date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2528

middleageguy wrote:
DMAE a strange brain fog....so everyone is different.


Is the onset of brain fog immediate or gradual as you use the product as days go on?

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

duddy
Level 2

Join date: Mar 2008
Posts: 378

I recently remembered (pun) that I have a tub of citicoline aka CDP choline and decided to switch out this for the DMAE I've been taking for a good year or more. And I am glad that I did. Head is more clear, less fog, and and I have less anxiety than normal (have always battled anxiety). I am more focused and can tollerate a bit more caffeine while taking prami (this would usually cause extreme anxiety and borderline manic). The cost is a bit higher, but dosing 500-750mg/day compared to to 2,100mg/day of DMAE the difference in price is still there, but not as much as I first thought.

If you are taking DMAE and experiencing a sort of caffeine-like feeling, try changing to a different choline source. As I found that it is hard to concentrate. My two favorite choline sources are CDP and A-GPC.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

duddy
Level 2

Join date: Mar 2008
Posts: 378

MAF14 wrote:
middleageguy wrote:
DMAE a strange brain fog....so everyone is different.


Is the onset of brain fog immediate or gradual as you use the product as days go on?


Funny I just read this now, but before doing that I just posted about DMAE giving me fog. I get it after the first or second dose when first starting it, so it does happen pretty fast. Now that I am taking CDP it has lifted and I feel a lot better. But middleageguy is right on when he says A-GPC is better of the three. A-GPC is just so dang expensive even from my bulk source, ya know the SMART guy who sells POWDERS?

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

AquaCruzer
Level 2

Join date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2792

Has anyone experimented with taking on large dose as opposed to taking smaller doses throughout the day? For example, taking 30 mg of vinpo at once vs. taking three 10 mg doses of vinpo.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

MAF14
Level 2

Join date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2528

AquaCruzer wrote:
Has anyone experimented with taking on large dose as opposed to taking smaller doses throughout the day? For example, taking 30 mg of vinpo at once vs. taking three 10 mg doses of vinpo.


30mg Vinpo is not a big dose at all. That's the typical dose I usually take 1 or 2 times a day. And maybe 3 in rare occasions...

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

AquaCruzer
Level 2

Join date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2792

MAF14 wrote:
AquaCruzer wrote:
Has anyone experimented with taking on large dose as opposed to taking smaller doses throughout the day? For example, taking 30 mg of vinpo at once vs. taking three 10 mg doses of vinpo.


30mg Vinpo is not a big dose at all. That's the typical dose I usually take 1 or 2 times a day. And maybe 3 in rare occasions...


I wasn't aware of that. I'm more curious about any differences in taking, in your case, say 60 mg of vinpo in one go vs. taking 30 mg twice.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

MAF14
Level 2

Join date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2528

duddy wrote:
MAF14 wrote:
middleageguy wrote:
DMAE a strange brain fog....so everyone is different.


Is the onset of brain fog immediate or gradual as you use the product as days go on?


Funny I just read this now, but before doing that I just posted about DMAE giving me fog. I get it after the first or second dose when first starting it, so it does happen pretty fast. Now that I am taking CDP it has lifted and I feel a lot better. But middleageguy is right on when he says A-GPC is better of the three. A-GPC is just so dang expensive even from my bulk source, ya know the SMART guy who sells POWDERS?


Yeah, GPC is way too expensive for me. CDP is quite pricey as well. Think I'm going to try Choline Citrate with the next order.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

MAF14
Level 2

Join date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2528

AquaCruzer wrote:
MAF14 wrote:
AquaCruzer wrote:
Has anyone experimented with taking on large dose as opposed to taking smaller doses throughout the day? For example, taking 30 mg of vinpo at once vs. taking three 10 mg doses of vinpo.


30mg Vinpo is not a big dose at all. That's the typical dose I usually take 1 or 2 times a day. And maybe 3 in rare occasions...


I wasn't aware of that. I'm more curious about any differences in taking, in your case, say 60 mg of vinpo in one go vs. taking 30 mg twice.


I think spreading it out would be best but some one else could probably give you a better answer...

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

middleageguy
Level

Join date: Aug 2004
Posts: 189

duddy wrote:
MAF14 wrote:
middleageguy wrote:
DMAE a strange brain fog....so everyone is different.


Is the onset of brain fog immediate or gradual as you use the product as days go on?


Funny I just read this now, but before doing that I just posted about DMAE giving me fog. I get it after the first or second dose when first starting it, so it does happen pretty fast. Now that I am taking CDP it has lifted and I feel a lot better. But middleageguy is right on when he says A-GPC is better of the three. A-GPC is just so dang expensive even from my bulk source, ya know the SMART guy who sells POWDERS?

Yes...DMAE brain fog is almost immediate for me as well. I take alpha GPC powder sublingually and manage to get away with smaller doses to save money: 100-200mgs sublingually every 2-4 hrs

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

MattyG35
Level

Join date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3414

Got this off of my twitter
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/...pubmed/21615001
Reversing brain damage in former NFL players: implications for traumatic brain injury and substance abuse rehabilitation.

Brain injuries are common in professional American football players. Finding effective rehabilitation strategies can have widespread implications not only for retired players but also for patients with traumatic brain injury and substance abuse problems. An open label pragmatic clinical intervention was conducted in an outpatient neuropsychiatric clinic with 30 retired NFL players who demonstrated brain damage and cognitive impairment. The study included weight loss (if appropriate); fish oil (5.6 grams a day); a high-potency multiple vitamin; and a formulated brain enhancement supplement that included nutrients to enhance blood flow (ginkgo and vinpocetine), acetylcholine (acetyl-l-carnitine and huperzine A), and antioxidant activity (alpha-lipoic acid and n-acetyl-cysteine). The trial average was six months. Outcome measures were Microcog Assessment of Cognitive Functioning and brain SPECT imaging. In the retest situation, corrected for practice effect, there were statistically significant increases in scores of attention, memory, reasoning, information processing speed and accuracy on the Microcog. The brain SPECT scans, as a group, showed increased brain perfusion, especially in the prefrontal cortex, parietal lobes, occipital lobes, anterior cingulate gyrus and cerebellum. This study demonstrates that cognitive and cerebral blood flow improvements are possible in this group with multiple interventions.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report