The Intelligent & Relentless Pursuit of Muscle™
Velocity Diet Recipes
 
The Great Pumpkin Cake
 

Chris Shugart
Director of Content

Join date: Oct 2002
Posts: 17341

Latest pic. Probably my favorite dessert right now.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Tech9
Level 5

Join date: Jun 2004
Posts: 790

Chris,

Is the inside supposed to look like a regular cake? I've made this twice (second time today) and the inside doesn't look like the photos you've posted - looks more spongy. I've followed the instructions and had the oven at 350 for 45 mins so I'm at a loss as to what the problem is.

Only thing I can think of is I'm using a 9x13 pan so the mix might be spread out more. Any ideas?

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Chris Shugart
Director of Content

Join date: Oct 2002
Posts: 17341

Tech9 wrote:
Chris,

Is the inside supposed to look like a regular cake? I've made this twice (second time today) and the inside doesn't look like the photos you've posted - looks more spongy. I've followed the instructions and had the oven at 350 for 45 mins so I'm at a loss as to what the problem is.

Only thing I can think of is I'm using a 9x13 pan so the mix might be spread out more. Any ideas?


It always comes out "cakey" on my end. But you're right, size of cooking vessel can really jack with cooking times. May need more, may need less.

I only had one texture issue now that I think about it: it was super soft and airy, good but odd. That was caused by using Egg Beaters instead of whole eggs. Also note that using unblanched vs. blanched almond flour can make a different. And make sure you're using baking powder, not baking soda. Just trouble-shooting here!

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Tech9
Level 5

Join date: Jun 2004
Posts: 790

Yup, using unblanched flour and baking powder.

Still tastes good, just looking much moister/spongy than your photo.

What size pan are you using?

Chris Shugart wrote:

It always comes out "cakey" on my end. But you're right, size of cooking vessel can really jack with cooking times. May need more, may need less.

I only had one texture issue now that I think about it: it was super soft and airy, good but odd. That was caused by using Egg Beaters instead of whole eggs. Also note that using unblanched vs. blanched almond flour can make a different. And make sure you're using baking powder, not baking soda. Just trouble-shooting here!

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Chris Shugart
Director of Content

Join date: Oct 2002
Posts: 17341

Tech9:

8 x 8, about 2 inches deep, glass.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Chris Shugart
Director of Content

Join date: Oct 2002
Posts: 17341

Vanilla version with chocolate icing.

Rocked.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

BARDUKE
Level 4

Join date: Jan 2008
Posts: 365

Gotta say that most of the things I've made have all turned out ok, but this one was FANTASTIC!! next time I think I'll put more than a cup of pumpkin for more awesomeness!

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Chased1k
Level 1

Join date: Oct 2010
Posts: 22

"Tested" This for thanksgiving desert.... Holy wow. Absolutely delicious. I was gonna post some food porn, but it was gone before i got a chance to take any pics.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Chris Shugart
Director of Content

Join date: Oct 2002
Posts: 17341

Chased1k wrote:
I was gonna post some food porn, but it was gone before i got a chance to take any pics.



That happens to me quite often!

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Jonathan4
Level 1

Join date: Aug 2010
Posts: 8

Around How many carbs are in the cake?

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Chris Shugart
Director of Content

Join date: Oct 2002
Posts: 17341

Jonathan4 wrote:
Around How many carbs are in the cake?



Roughly 60. But half of those are fiber-derived so they don't really "count." And that's for the whole cake, not for a serving.

I wouldn't sweat the carbs too much that come from almonds and vegetables, and that's where they come from in this recipe.

Sweat the carbs in grain-flour derived foods (bread, pasta, etc) not nuts and pumpkin.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

LiquidMercury
Level 3

Join date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3238

Chris, how did you get the icing to thicken up? I followed the directions to a T but honestly my frosting looks a bit lumpy and not very much thickness to it. I was wondering if maybe adding an egg and some coconut flour (tbsp or so) might work?

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Chris Shugart
Director of Content

Join date: Oct 2002
Posts: 17341

Not sure what to tell you. I make it just as the directions say.

Are you using a mixer? That's a must. And be sure to mix it for a long time so it'll thicken up.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Travis56
Level

Join date: Feb 2011
Posts: 101

Just made this yesterday, turned out great! I did however use a wisk for the icing and it wasnt as fluffy but still tasted fantastic. also made the flax bread which was good also, but this cake is a perfect companion for my sweet tooth.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

AmericanGirl
Level

Join date: Jul 2009
Posts: 53

I thought I would revive this thread since it's fall and everyone loves pumpkin around this time! I got a little creative with the icing! :-)

Happy Fall!

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Chris Shugart
Director of Content

Join date: Oct 2002
Posts: 17341

AmericanGirl wrote:
I thought I would revive this thread since it's fall and everyone loves pumpkin around this time! I got a little creative with the icing! :-)

Happy Fall!




Nice. How's you tweak the icing? Looks great!

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

AmericanGirl
Level

Join date: Jul 2009
Posts: 53

Chris Shugart wrote:
AmericanGirl wrote:
I thought I would revive this thread since it's fall and everyone loves pumpkin around this time! I got a little creative with the icing! :-)

Happy Fall!




Nice. How's you tweak the icing? Looks great!


Thanks! I just piped it on with a Wilton 1M tip...maybe a tbsp more butter & Splenda to make it stand up better. I love baking & decorating cakes even though I usually can't eat my product. Now I can!

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

nden007
Level

Join date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1

tastes great, made it a little messed up haha. has a funky aftertaste to it? is that normal or did i do something wrong?

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report