The Intelligent & Relentless Pursuit of Muscle™
Velocity Life
 
Comments on Your Success
1
 

yorik
Level 5

Join date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1655

We need a new post to keep this forum going,...so here goes.

How many people are getting lots of comments on their body composition changes while living the V-Life? How do you respond when asked how you did it?

I think somebody just noticed the other day that I lost some girth. I just told them I eat less and exercise more, rather than try to explain things.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

nater77
Level 100

Join date: Oct 2002
Posts: 143

It depends on who's asking. The proximity bias runs rampant among my friends/acquaintances so I normally say the same thing (eat less, train harder). However, if I'm feeling like a good debate or have some time to kill, I'll ask them if they really want to know. If that's the case, I'll explain things more in-depth (a calorie isn't a calorie/how I'm training and why). Sometimes their eyes start to roll into the back of their heads; then I wrap things up.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

corstijeir
Level 100

Join date: Mar 2010
Posts: 3424

I had a friend that I don't see regularly today go "So last year I saw you and you were huge, now you're not, what's up with that?"

I told him and then he goes "well in a non-homo way you look good"

Honestly- is there any better complement than that? I know people ask, but they always assume sickness, drugs, anything but being healthy. It's really nice when someone just says "hey you look great, whatever you did it worked".

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

SeaHag
Level 1

Join date: Apr 2007
Posts: 163

Honestly, it's getting to the point that I feel proud, but a little bit uncomfortable with all the attention I'm receiving. I've never been a ladies man per se, but I'm getting lots of compliments and looks from women I'd never seen before. My wife was pointing out some in Walmart the other day who she claims were very obviously trying to get my attention. I'm happy, that people really notice the changes and some are even attracted to my appearance now; but I'm just not used to this kind of attention.

I try to stress to everyone that I'd been lifting and working out for several years; but it's only since I started actively eating right that this transformation really got underway.

If you're interested, I posted an updated photo of my progress in my hub this morning.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

corstijeir
Level 100

Join date: Mar 2010
Posts: 3424

SeaHag wrote:
Honestly, it's getting to the point that I feel proud, but a little bit uncomfortable with all the attention I'm receiving. I've never been a ladies man per se, but I'm getting lots of compliments and looks from women I'd never seen before. My wife was pointing out some in Walmart the other day who she claims were very obviously trying to get my attention. I'm happy, that people really notice the changes and some are even attracted to my appearance now; but I'm just not used to this kind of attention.

I try to stress to everyone that I'd been lifting and working out for several years; but it's only since I started actively eating right that this transformation really got underway.

If you're interested, I posted an updated photo of my progress in my hub this morning.


LOL nice. You know you've done something right when your wife is like "hey those women are checking you out". I love it.

BTW looking great in your photo, big change from the motorcycle picture.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

hankinstien
Level 5

Join date: Mar 2010
Posts: 66

SeaHag wrote:
Honestly, it's getting to the point that I feel proud, but a little bit uncomfortable with all the attention I'm receiving.


This about wraps up how I feel about it. Although I'm not getting as much "lady attention" as I'd like, I do have tons of people at work, and friends that like to brag about me, or talk about how awesome it is, and at first it felt good, but after a while, I don't know how to respond to it. I'm just a dude.

But what really bothers me is all the talk of "well, I could never do that," and the like. That self-defeating attitude that tries to disguise itself as humility. I usually can't help but respond with a scowl and say, "well, you definitely COULD do it, if you really wanted to." And most people just deny that body change is possible, and end the conversation there. Some people though, will begin to argue with me about methods.

Because of the disagreements of what constitutes "healthy" or not, and the fierce waves of self-negativity that almost everyone else seems to have about the subject, I can hardly stand to talk about it anymore. If someone is honestly seeking answers, and really legitimately wants help, advice, or encouragement, I'm all over that. I've sure needed that in the past, and I still do, it's why I frequent the forums here. But if I hear, "well, you're so good, I could never do that" again, I'll pull my hair out.

I remember when I started, I was in that boat. I assumed that body transformation was not possible (although I didn't go around telling this to thinner people). What made me start the road was someone telling me that it WAS possible. I was doubtful, but intrigued. I simply asked "how?" and he pointed me to T-Nation and some other sources. Once I saw it was a road that was well traveled, I immediately started my own path down that road.

This isn't to brag. I'm just a dude that went down a road many others had blazed before me. This is just to vent about how I can't understand why so many people--when you show them the road, show them the people that have succeeded down the road, and even give them a map of the road--still deny that the road is there and choose to never go down it.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

SeaHag
Level 1

Join date: Apr 2007
Posts: 163

I've had several people ask me for advice too. I think maybe one has taken it, because he reports he's lost 30 pounds. When I tell people that I rarely drink alcohol anymore, I see that I've lost most of them. I guess I can't blame them. There was a time when drinking was a much more regular part of my social life and identity as a result. I guess I just like the air outside the bar a lot better.

I delayed my progress for years by being a lazy bastard in the kitchen and grocery store...but now that I'm getting some cooking skills, have proven recipes for stuff I like, and I know where the healthy stuff is in the grocery store, it's not that much work to eat large portions of tasty food that make me feel better and keep losing body fat. I've been plateu'd at 260 for a while now and expect my thermostat is resetting again. One day soon I'm going to wake up and be 5 pounds lighter and the scale will move again. Till then, I'm content watching my arms and calves get more vascular. I know it's working even if the scale isn't telling me so.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

hankinstien
Level 5

Join date: Mar 2010
Posts: 66

Yeah, the scale isn't great, and most of my weight loss was very staggered like that too. I'd lose 10 pounds in 2 weeks, then lose nothing for the next two weeks, then lose 3 or 4 more the week after that -- all while not changing anything I was doing in terms of diet/training.

At first I didn't mind giving people advice if they asked for it, but now it's a whip, because I've yet to have anyone use any of it. It's especially strange with my parents. They ask for advice, but then argue with it and refuse to follow it, but now every time I visit them my mom inundates me with crates of new "health food" she's found. Pretty much all of it is corn-based, soy-based, low-fat, high-carb, etc. It seems the "gluten-free" tag is becoming very popular, and people eat anything that claims gluten-free, no matter what other junk is in there. I'm getting tired of refusing her gifts, then pointing at the ingredients list to show her why I don't want it. It's a bad situation because she really means well, and it's disappointing to her when I reject something she found and thought was cool that I would like.

Stupid fake health-food companies, ruining my family relationships...

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

corstijeir
Level 100

Join date: Mar 2010
Posts: 3424

hankinstien wrote:
Yeah, the scale isn't great, and most of my weight loss was very staggered like that too. I'd lose 10 pounds in 2 weeks, then lose nothing for the next two weeks, then lose 3 or 4 more the week after that -- all while not changing anything I was doing in terms of diet/training.

At first I didn't mind giving people advice if they asked for it, but now it's a whip, because I've yet to have anyone use any of it. It's especially strange with my parents. They ask for advice, but then argue with it and refuse to follow it, but now every time I visit them my mom inundates me with crates of new "health food" she's found. Pretty much all of it is corn-based, soy-based, low-fat, high-carb, etc. It seems the "gluten-free" tag is becoming very popular, and people eat anything that claims gluten-free, no matter what other junk is in there. I'm getting tired of refusing her gifts, then pointing at the ingredients list to show her why I don't want it. It's a bad situation because she really means well, and it's disappointing to her when I reject something she found and thought was cool that I would like.

Stupid fake health-food companies, ruining my family relationships...


Just tell her if she really wants to get you a gift buy you some supplements or give you a gift card to dinner at a steakhouse...

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

reactiontm
Level 4

Join date: Dec 2010
Posts: 236

[quote]hankinstien wrote:
[quote]SeaHag wrote:
But what really bothers me is all the talk of "well, I could never do that," and the like.[/quote]

See, I think you're wrong and they're right.

Let's be honest, it wasn't that long ago that even YOU couldn't do it.

And I couldn't, and everyone else who DID it couldn't do it until they were ready.

You have to cross a pain threshold before being willing to consider something as "crazy" as this diet.

A brother-in-law of a brother-in-law has recently lost about 40 pounds in a little less time than I've lost my 35.

Without the V-Diet.

Why?

Back in February, he had a STROKE at a casino.

He's around 40.

After a shitload of tests, they have no reason why it happened.

So, he had his reasons.

Of course, he was essentially untrained as he probably hadn't exercised since high school.

But he did it.

Without the stroke?

Never would have happened.

A number of the people who hang out with him should probably follow suit, especially the one who was at the blackjack table with him when it happened.

But nobody else has.

Why?

Because, as they'll tell you, they "can't."

And they're right.

You don't have to pull your hair out.

You just need to modify your response to this.

And realize that this attitude pervades most of our society.

And be grateful that it does, because there is no competition.

Competition, the rat race, the "economy"... it's all a myth.

You have mastered yourself in a very important and fundamental way.

You can be who you want to be, you can have what you want to have, you can do what you want to do.

And every time you have this conversation with someone, SMILE.

Because they just reminded you of just how weak the competition really is.

Take what you've learned from this experience and now apply it in some OTHER area of your life where YOU have been telling yourself that you "can't."

It works.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
1