The Intelligent & Relentless Pursuit of Muscle™
War Room
 
Field Food
1
 

GDollars37
Level 5

Join date: Oct 2002
Posts: 2694

Just got out of one of our longer field exercises here at TBS (USMC Basic Officer Course). What do you all eat in the field, either training or deployment? Protein bars, nuts, jerky? Or just MREs?

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

HolyMacaroni
Level 1

Join date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5147

babies

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Himora22
Level 1

Join date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1493

I try to take jerky with me but it normaly doesn't last long, and some trail mix. But ya, they always feed us MRE's so thats about it.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

BH6
Level 4

Join date: Jun 2005
Posts: 583

HolyMacaroni wrote:
babies


I hope you cook them to an internal temp of 150 degrees or more. Raw babies will make you sick. I don't want to ever make that mistake again.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

BH6
Level 4

Join date: Jun 2005
Posts: 583

GDollars37 wrote:
Just got out of one of our longer field exercises here at TBS (USMC Basic Officer Course). What do you all eat in the field, either training or deployment? Protein bars, nuts, jerky? Or just MREs?


Strawberry poptarts are my favorite field food, along with protein bars, nuts, and jerky. My nickname at TBS was "Snack Shop".

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Mad HORSE
Level 1

Join date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1714

I like MREs. 2-3 a day gets you a lot of protein and calories. Just amke sure you have plenty of Copenhagen to keep everything moving.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

armygrunt82
Level 2

Join date: May 2009
Posts: 147

You should also drink A LOT of water since MRE's have essentially no fiber which causes the dreaded MRE constipation. My buddy has started making "Paleo Packs" which are basically vacuum packed bags with dehydrated fruit/jerky/and nuts. He will usually only eat one MRE a day and snack on his paleo packs the rest of the day.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

RyanRC187
Level

Join date: Jan 2008
Posts: 61

During my time at TBS I bought several boxes of protein bars before FEX I and just took those to the field as I'm not fond of MREs. Actually I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who did like them.

Money well spent in my opinion. Plus I was able to give all those MREs I was forced to buy and didn't eat to my IOC buddies who needed like 60 of the things once they went across the street.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

boatguy
Level 3

Join date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1327

That's the beauty of working on a boat- plenty of room to bring snacks and shit. Hell, I can easily take a small cooler with me if I want. And being a driver now(instead of a gunner), I have my own little enclosed space about the size of a phone booth in which to keep everything(so it's always right there).

Love the 'paleo pack' idea though, that's awesome.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Ricochet
Level 2

Join date: May 2009
Posts: 585

HolyMacaroni wrote:
babies


Concur, babies... still on the tit, pre-adult food, are the best though.


Oatmeal.

I trained myself to eat raw oatmeal within a couple of days... first started with the flavored instant packets then slowly moved onto plain old rolled instant oatmeal. At first I would mix it in a cup of water and then slowly lessen the amount of water each time until I was eating it dry.

Now I simply pour the oatmeal into my mouth, chew it a bit, and then swallow it down with a couple swigs of water. Oatmeal is lightweight, super healthy, and it sticks with you for awhile. I pour it from the cans and bigger bags that it comes in into Ziploc bags and throw it into my daily gear pack and/or 5.11 pants cargo pockets.

While operating in Gaza I was even eating steel cut oats which was a real challenge but doable as my hunger grew especially during the war in Dec. 2008- Jan. 2009.

Amazing what you will eat when you are hungry... including babies!!!

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

GDollars37
Level 5

Join date: Oct 2002
Posts: 2694

armygrunt82 wrote:
You should also drink A LOT of water since MRE's have essentially no fiber which causes the dreaded MRE constipation. My buddy has started making "Paleo Packs" which are basically vacuum packed bags with dehydrated fruit/jerky/and nuts. He will usually only eat one MRE a day and snack on his paleo packs the rest of the day.


Paleo packs, I like that. I'm gonna mix up one of those and take it with me in the Humvee tomorrow.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

BH6
Level 4

Join date: Jun 2005
Posts: 583

GDollars37 wrote:
armygrunt82 wrote:
You should also drink A LOT of water since MRE's have essentially no fiber which causes the dreaded MRE constipation. My buddy has started making "Paleo Packs" which are basically vacuum packed bags with dehydrated fruit/jerky/and nuts. He will usually only eat one MRE a day and snack on his paleo packs the rest of the day.


Paleo packs, I like that. I'm gonna mix up one of those and take it with me in the Humvee tomorrow.


Humvee? Back when I was in TBS we learned about the humvee, it was vehicle that followed us when we were humping everywhere.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

RyanRC187
Level

Join date: Jan 2008
Posts: 61

BH6 wrote:
GDollars37 wrote:
armygrunt82 wrote:
You should also drink A LOT of water since MRE's have essentially no fiber which causes the dreaded MRE constipation. My buddy has started making "Paleo Packs" which are basically vacuum packed bags with dehydrated fruit/jerky/and nuts. He will usually only eat one MRE a day and snack on his paleo packs the rest of the day.


Paleo packs, I like that. I'm gonna mix up one of those and take it with me in the Humvee tomorrow.


Humvee? Back when I was in TBS we learned about the humvee, it was vehicle that followed us when we were humping everywhere.


There is a Convoy FEX now which is what I'm assuming he is referring to.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

GDollars37
Level 5

Join date: Oct 2002
Posts: 2694

RyanRC187 wrote:
BH6 wrote:
GDollars37 wrote:
armygrunt82 wrote:
You should also drink A LOT of water since MRE's have essentially no fiber which causes the dreaded MRE constipation. My buddy has started making "Paleo Packs" which are basically vacuum packed bags with dehydrated fruit/jerky/and nuts. He will usually only eat one MRE a day and snack on his paleo packs the rest of the day.


Paleo packs, I like that. I'm gonna mix up one of those and take it with me in the Humvee tomorrow.


Humvee? Back when I was in TBS we learned about the humvee, it was vehicle that followed us when we were humping everywhere.


There is a Convoy FEX now which is what I'm assuming he is referring to.


Exactly. Great time, aside from the fact that I had to play IED casualty the one time I was a .50 cal gunner.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

RyanRC187
Level

Join date: Jan 2008
Posts: 61

GDollars37 wrote:
RyanRC187 wrote:
BH6 wrote:
GDollars37 wrote:
armygrunt82 wrote:
You should also drink A LOT of water since MRE's have essentially no fiber which causes the dreaded MRE constipation. My buddy has started making "Paleo Packs" which are basically vacuum packed bags with dehydrated fruit/jerky/and nuts. He will usually only eat one MRE a day and snack on his paleo packs the rest of the day.


Paleo packs, I like that. I'm gonna mix up one of those and take it with me in the Humvee tomorrow.


Humvee? Back when I was in TBS we learned about the humvee, it was vehicle that followed us when we were humping everywhere.


There is a Convoy FEX now which is what I'm assuming he is referring to.


Exactly. Great time, aside from the fact that I had to play IED casualty the one time I was a .50 cal gunner.


I think it was worse having to buddy carry the IED casualty 100m and put him onto the back of the 7-ton and perform the proper first aid all while Col Smith was watching.

Is he still the TBS CO? I would often see him in the gym across from the static F-18 and was impressed to say the least. One hell of a guy.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

GDollars37
Level 5

Join date: Oct 2002
Posts: 2694

RyanRC187 wrote:
GDollars37 wrote:
RyanRC187 wrote:
BH6 wrote:
GDollars37 wrote:
armygrunt82 wrote:
You should also drink A LOT of water since MRE's have essentially no fiber which causes the dreaded MRE constipation. My buddy has started making "Paleo Packs" which are basically vacuum packed bags with dehydrated fruit/jerky/and nuts. He will usually only eat one MRE a day and snack on his paleo packs the rest of the day.


Paleo packs, I like that. I'm gonna mix up one of those and take it with me in the Humvee tomorrow.


Humvee? Back when I was in TBS we learned about the humvee, it was vehicle that followed us when we were humping everywhere.


There is a Convoy FEX now which is what I'm assuming he is referring to.


Exactly. Great time, aside from the fact that I had to play IED casualty the one time I was a .50 cal gunner.


I think it was worse having to buddy carry the IED casualty 100m and put him onto the back of the 7-ton and perform the proper first aid all while Col Smith was watching.

Is he still the TBS CO? I would often see him in the gym across from the static F-18 and was impressed to say the least. One hell of a guy.


Yes, he's still the CO, and still putting in the hours at Ramer Gym.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

njrusmc
Level 4

Join date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1118

I survived FEX 3 at TBS with three 1-gallon bags full of trail mix. Wheat/corn/rice chexs, raisins, dates, almonds, cashews, macadamia, sun dried tomatoes, apricots, and some other stuff. Add in about 18 protein bars and a few bags of jerky, and you were set. The nature of the beast is that if you bring trail mix, you have to share ... so I still ate about 1 MRE per day. The Giant or Shoppers off Garrisonville Rd has good deals on that shit sometimes; stock up and keep it in the barracks or the car.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

ExtremistPullup
Level

Join date: Jun 2005
Posts: 83

Jalapino cheese spread & pound cake would be all I need.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

HolyMacaroni
Level 1

Join date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5147

omg so jelly ^

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

IPB
Level 4

Join date: Jul 2010
Posts: 640

HolyMacaroni wrote:
omg so jelly ^

Ditto!

I miss the jalapeno spread, nothing better than mixing that into the ravioli MRE.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

NvrTooLate
Level

Join date: Jun 2009
Posts: 436

If you can, wander into the Army's area and steal their T-rats.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Nards
Level

Join date: Jan 2006
Posts: 10948

Try to make sure you cook at least every 3rd meal, I mean as in heat your MRE up.

Maybe I'm a big pussy but in the field I found that I'd get nauseous if I ate them cold all the time.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

strength_forever
Level 4

Join date: Nov 2002
Posts: 51

Its funny. Any chance a Canadian gets the chance to trade IMP's for MRE's its always a win-win situation.

This is probably not ideal. But I tend to live on spike shooters, ostrim, raw almonds and dehydrated fruit. Plus a shit ton of protein bars and higher carb energy bars. Cold + wet + plus humping rucks + pulling winter ops toboggan + a GPMG = a shit ton of calories burnt.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

moosy
Level 2

Join date: Apr 2008
Posts: 59

strength_forever wrote:
Its funny. Any chance a Canadian gets the chance to trade IMP's for MRE's its always a win-win situation.

This is probably not ideal. But I tend to live on spike shooters, ostrim, raw almonds and dehydrated fruit. Plus a shit ton of protein bars and higher carb energy bars. Cold + wet + plus humping rucks + pulling winter ops toboggan + a GPMG = a shit ton of calories burnt.



I was thinking this the entire time I was reading this thread, I don't mind IMPS but I'd trade a whole box for a couple of MRES

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
1