The Intelligent & Relentless Pursuit of Muscle™
Training Logs
 
Evan's Offseason Training: Road to a Pro Card
 

XanderBuilt
Level

Join date: Sep 2007
Location: Singapore
Posts: 2199

ebomb5522 wrote:
XanderBuilt wrote:
Hey Ev, I wanted to ask this for some time. I think during your prep with Layne he had asked (or perhaps you already) to add Tyrosine into your daily supp list. Do you still do this? (since it's off season and perhaps Tyrosine applies more for cutting). Was it around 4500mg a day? Was there much of an effect training/fat loss wise?

What are some tips you can recommend for recovery wise? I reasoned to myself a combination of protein (from food, on days around leg day), BCAA, Fish Oil, 8 hours sleep all helped. Anything that you'd add/remove from this? Training consistently like you do obviously helps also. Recovery problem areas for me would be glutes and hams and biceps after arms day. (will go look up Agile 8 + foam rolling). Thanks.

All the best with school application and the pro card. Both very real goals for 2012 and beyond. Your VMO is insane btw.


I do notice effects of increased focus and concentration when I take tyrosine in the 4000-5000 mg range...combined with 200-500 mg of caffeine, this was the 'pre-workout' stack I used before I started using pre-workout products and it worked well. I'm not sure it directly has any effect on fat loss, but if your focus/concentration is increased, you could argue that that helps you to burn more fat.

Adding in a dynamic stretching routine 2-4 days/week will definitely help your recovery, as will foam rolling. I would start incorporating those into your sessions or off-day work. As for nutrition, I would make sure that you are getting enough healthy fats like coconut oil, avocado, fish oil, and mac nut oil...those could help.

As for recovery, I like BCAA + EAAs. A good EAA product is humapro, which I use, but you could get bulk EAAs as well. Good times to take them are pre and post-workout.

Thanks bud, I think 2012-2013 is gonna be a great year.



Thanks a million Ev. As always I take to heart all you say and will apply it :)

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

NewAdventure
Level

Join date: Mar 2012
Location:
Posts: 96

Random question - have you ever tried xtend bcaa? I see you guys are liking humapro but xtend is cheaper here!

Also cool to see you are going to be studying Law, great subject ;)

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

ebomb5522
Level 5

Join date: Jun 2008
Location: New York, USA
Posts: 3974

XanderBuilt wrote:
ebomb5522 wrote:
XanderBuilt wrote:
Hey Ev, I wanted to ask this for some time. I think during your prep with Layne he had asked (or perhaps you already) to add Tyrosine into your daily supp list. Do you still do this? (since it's off season and perhaps Tyrosine applies more for cutting). Was it around 4500mg a day? Was there much of an effect training/fat loss wise?

What are some tips you can recommend for recovery wise? I reasoned to myself a combination of protein (from food, on days around leg day), BCAA, Fish Oil, 8 hours sleep all helped. Anything that you'd add/remove from this? Training consistently like you do obviously helps also. Recovery problem areas for me would be glutes and hams and biceps after arms day. (will go look up Agile 8 + foam rolling). Thanks.

All the best with school application and the pro card. Both very real goals for 2012 and beyond. Your VMO is insane btw.


I do notice effects of increased focus and concentration when I take tyrosine in the 4000-5000 mg range...combined with 200-500 mg of caffeine, this was the 'pre-workout' stack I used before I started using pre-workout products and it worked well. I'm not sure it directly has any effect on fat loss, but if your focus/concentration is increased, you could argue that that helps you to burn more fat.

Adding in a dynamic stretching routine 2-4 days/week will definitely help your recovery, as will foam rolling. I would start incorporating those into your sessions or off-day work. As for nutrition, I would make sure that you are getting enough healthy fats like coconut oil, avocado, fish oil, and mac nut oil...those could help.

As for recovery, I like BCAA + EAAs. A good EAA product is humapro, which I use, but you could get bulk EAAs as well. Good times to take them are pre and post-workout.

Thanks bud, I think 2012-2013 is gonna be a great year.



Thanks a million Ev. As always I take to heart all you say and will apply it :)


Glad I could help brotha!

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

ebomb5522
Level 5

Join date: Jun 2008
Location: New York, USA
Posts: 3974

NewAdventure wrote:
Random question - have you ever tried xtend bcaa? I see you guys are liking humapro but xtend is cheaper here!

Also cool to see you are going to be studying Law, great subject ;)


I have used Xtend extensively and like it a lot.

However, humapro is an essential amino acid blend and I use it pre and post-workout and I use BCAA during my workouts.

I use both at the same time.

It is : ).

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

ebomb5522
Level 5

Join date: Jun 2008
Location: New York, USA
Posts: 3974

4.10.12

Chest/Shoulders

Incline Dumbbell Press (deep stretch, squeeze together at top)
35 x 15
65 x 15
80 x 8
90 x 8
100 x 8
110 x 8, 8

Decline Smith Press (very slight angle)
95 x 15
Works
185 x 25
205 x 25
255 x 12
Dropset
285 x 10, 205 x 15, ultra-wide: 115 x 25

Flat Banded Bench Press: doubled red mini's, 2 second pause, explode + squeeze
135 x 5
185 x 5
175 x 5
135 x 5

Cable Flies (big stretch)
4 x 6

Smith Overhead Press
185 x 15
225 x 10
205 x 12
135 x 15

Seated Dumbbell Press: squeeze DBs together as hard as possible at the top
35 x 10
50 x 10
40 x 10

Bent-Over Rear Delt Dumbbell Flies
20 x 30, 20, 10 (30 seconds rest between sets)
20 x 30, 20, 10 (30 sec rest)

Awesome chest/shoulder session...pump was ridiculous today.

I am loving doing the dumbbell presses with super strict form. Squeezing at the top hard and stretching at the bottom forces you to use significantly less weight, but it really allows you to get more out of the movement. Decline smiths gave me a nasty pump, especially since they were done in a continuous fashion. Banded flats are always fun...did a bit more overhead pressing this week and my delts definitely felt it. Rear flies made them stick out from the side lol...awesome look.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Break2Build
Level

Join date: Jan 2012
Location:
Posts: 2

I added in shoulders on my chest day doing a lot of Meadows methods and I lose my pump once I get into my shoulder session. Do you get the same results, any insight as to why?

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

John Meadows
Contributor

Join date: Oct 2010
Location:
Posts: 1727

Break2Build wrote:
I added in shoulders on my chest day doing a lot of Meadows methods and I lose my pump once I get into my shoulder session. Do you get the same results, any insight as to why?


Are you drinking an intraworkout mix of any kind? MAG-10, and a carb powder really help in this regard.

JM

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

ebomb5522
Level 5

Join date: Jun 2008
Location: New York, USA
Posts: 3974

@Break: Definitely take JM's advice if you aren't already doing so.

Adding in shoulders to an already relatively high chest session (assuming that's what you're doing) can be tough at first. I would suggest scaling back the volume a bit on both and slowly working up to more so you can adapt.

My shoulders feel very good after doing chest now, but it takes a little getting used to for sure.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

NewAdventure
Level

Join date: Mar 2012
Location:
Posts: 96

ebomb5522 wrote:
NewAdventure wrote:
Random question - have you ever tried xtend bcaa? I see you guys are liking humapro but xtend is cheaper here!

Also cool to see you are going to be studying Law, great subject ;)


I have used Xtend extensively and like it a lot.

However, humapro is an essential amino acid blend and I use it pre and post-workout and I use BCAA during my workouts.

I use both at the same time.

It is : ).


I am going to go with Xtend during and 30g whey isolate after (stolen from a post i read from you a while back) - save the humapro till i am at a higher level of development.

Sorry for turning your log into a bit of a Q&A but I have one last question, hope you don't mind.

What do you think about specialisation for a beginner? I really want to bring up my V taper so want to focus on shoulders and back but I know all round i need size.

Thanks Again!

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

ebomb5522
Level 5

Join date: Jun 2008
Location: New York, USA
Posts: 3974

4.12.12

Back/Traps

Dead Stop Smith Rows
3 Warmups
235 x 8, 245 x 8
275 x 7, 285 x 7

Single Arm Barbell Row
Warmups
125 (5 25s) x 8 LR
135 x 8 LR
100 x 8 LR

Chins
Close neutral
2 x failure + help
Medium normal
2 x failure +

Meadows Pullovers
60 x 10
80 x 3x10

DB Shrugs
2 sets, 4 second hold at top

Hypers
Band + 35 lb x 10 to 35 lb x 10 to bw x failure
35 lb x failure to bw x failure

15 minutes incline treadmill

Awesome back session...sick pump. Back is definitely growing from the heavy rowing and stretching.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

ebomb5522
Level 5

Join date: Jun 2008
Location: New York, USA
Posts: 3974

4.13.12

Cardio, Calves, Abs

Decline Bench Leg Raises
Bw x 25, 20, 18, 15, 12 (30 seconds rest between each)

Standing Rope Crunches (done in a continuous fashion, increase weight 2 plates each time)
4x15, drop 10-10

Incline Treadmill Warmup
6 minutes

Bike HIIT Sprints
25 seconds all out/2 minutes 25 seconds easy
5 of these
(tough!)
2 minute cooldown

Seated Calf Raise
135 x 15, 15, 15, 15
90 x 10, 10
Standing Calf Raise Stretch (extreme static stretch at bottom)
stack x 2 minutes (OUCH)

Legs felt pretty good today, so I decided to give some good ole' bike sprints a try the way I used to do them during contest prep...damn, they're tough. Even though the rest interval is more than the usual 15/45, it forces you to really go all out for the 25 second interval and by the 4th and 5th, I was really feeling it.

Threw in some extreme stretching for calves at the end...fun.

Bodyweight was 222 first thing in the morning. Up about 2-3 lb in the past month and am as lean if not leaner...something's working.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

ebomb5522
Level 5

Join date: Jun 2008
Location: New York, USA
Posts: 3974

4.14.12

Arms/Abs

Rope Pushdown warmup (2 sets)

Superset 1:
Rope Pushdown x 12
Incline DB Curls x 8: 25, 30, 35, 30
4 work sets

Superset 2:
Bench Dips x 10: 2 plates, 3 plates, 4 plates (9), 3 plates (these were done with a deep stretch)
Standing EZ Bar Curl x 6: 70 + bar x 6, 50 x 6, 6, 6

Superset 3:
Seated Dumbbell Extension (focus on deep stretch, no lockout) x 12
EZ Bar Preachers x 8
4 work sets, used 30 + bar and 40 + bar on curls, 85 and 75 on extensions

Reverse EZ Bar Curls
2 x 12 works to forehead (brutal)

V-Ups
bw x 20, 15
Decline Leg-Ups
Bw x 15, 15, 10, 10

Brisk walk outside:
went 1 mile around the track, didn't time it.


Pump was crazy today...biceps were actually a little sore from back day, probably the close grip pull-ups, but I crushed them. Went pretty heavy today on bench dips, really felt those.

Now, time to eat : ).

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

ebomb5522
Level 5

Join date: Jun 2008
Location: New York, USA
Posts: 3974

4.16.12

Legs

Seated Leg Curls
2x15 warmup
130 x 12
140 x 12, 12
140 x 10, 90 x 10, 80 x 10

Banded Leg Press (mini bands doubled) 3 second eccentric/no lockout continuos tension
1 pps x 8
2 pps x 8
4 pps x 8
6 pps x 8
8 pps x 8
Work Sets
10 pps x 8, 8
10 pps x 6 drop 7 pps x 6 drop 5 pps x 6

Smith Squats (toes out, as deep as possible, no lockout)
225 x 15
265 x 12
295 x 10
315 x 8
(ouch, was light headed at this point)

Leg Extension/Walking DB Lunges
8/6 LR
8/6 LR

Hyperextensions (flex glutes/hams hard)
30 lb x 15, 15 drop Bw x 10

Leg session today was ridiculous.
The leg press with bands felt awesome...definitely the strongest I have ever been on that movement with 10 pps + band resistance for sets of 8 with the slow eccentric. Smith squats were crazy and the extension/lunge superset was a killer.

Chest/Shoulders tomorrow.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Blackaggar
Level 2

Join date: Apr 2009
Location:
Posts: 2436

Wrokouts have been perfect, what has your meal plan been looking like lately?

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

ryanbCXG
Level 5

Join date: Dec 2010
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 5357

Blackaggar wrote:
Wrokouts have been perfect, what has your meal plan been looking like lately?


Was gonna say something just like this....meal plan and macros? Still the saem

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Bambi
Level

Join date: Sep 2009
Location: Scotland
Posts: 1427

ebomb5522 wrote:
@ Jake: Ya, today and thursdays exercises were fun.

@ Bigmac: nothing too fancy, it just forces you to use more biceps and less momentum because your arm is in the curling position the entire rep instead of having them at your sides and turning them to curl.

Haha same bro...wait listed at Fordham, my first choice. I'm confident in my chances of getting in, but still waiting. What about you?



I might be applying to Fordham for a PHD next year. If they give me money that is hahaha

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

ebomb5522
Level 5

Join date: Jun 2008
Location: New York, USA
Posts: 3974

4.17.12

Chest/Shoulders

Banded Machine Press
Works
150 x 8
175 x 8
200 x 8
175 x 8

Low Incline Smith (3/4 lockout)
205 x 10
225 x 9
250 x 8
275 x 7
285 x 6

Reverse Band Flat Bench Press (purple)
Warmups
315 x 5
345 x 5
365 x 5 (chest on fire)
315 x 5

Machine Flies/Band Stretch
3x8/30 sec stretch each arm

Machine Delt Raise
70-110 x 10 no rest
130 x 10, 10
Stack x 50 partials

Seated Ultra Wide Grip Smith
135 x 8
185 x 8, 8, 8

Cable Rear Delts (pulling from high)
3x25 @ #2

20 minutes incline treadmill

Very solid chest/shoulder session...got an awesome pump from the machine presses, was fatigued a bit for inclines, but still hit pretty solid weight.

Reverse bands were strong, considering the last time I did these for flat, I hit 370 x 3 first thing in my workout and this time hit 365 x 5 after all that work.

Shoulders got pumped and rear delts were sticking Out by the end.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

ebomb5522
Level 5

Join date: Jun 2008
Location: New York, USA
Posts: 3974

@ Black and Ryan: I'll post a sample diet and a more detailed explanation a bit later.

@ Bambi: Awesome! Maybe I'll seeya there!

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Jab1
Level

Join date: Feb 2009
Location: England
Posts: 1585

Damn that's a dominant looking chest session. Awesome.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

austin_bicep
Level 1

Join date: Sep 2007
Location: New York, USA
Posts: 5149

Reverse band benching is da sex. Solid workout there Ev. Excited to see how the JM project turns out over these next few months.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

ebomb5522
Level 5

Join date: Jun 2008
Location: New York, USA
Posts: 3974

@ Jab and Austin:

Thanks guys, I'm looking forward to seeing how I progress over the summer as well with JM in my corner!

Ya, reverse band benching is great. I always feel it in my chest a ton more, especially today since it was the third exercise.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

bugeishaAD
Level 3

Join date: Aug 2007
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 3439

God I haven't had 365 loaded on the bar for presses in ages. Good shit bro.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

ebomb5522
Level 5

Join date: Jun 2008
Location: New York, USA
Posts: 3974

Back/Calves/Cardio

Standing Calf Raise
15 reps
3x10 w/3 second stretch
1x20

Seated Dropset
15-10-20 partials

Smith Deadstop Rows
135x8
185x8
225x8
Works
265x8, 255x8, 275x8, 245x8

Single Arm Barbell Rows w/25s
50 x 8 LR
75 x 8 LR
100 x 8 LR
125 x 8 LR (about failure)

Underhand Pulldowns (DY Style)
3x10

DB Pullovers
70 x 10
80 x 10, 10

Barbell Shrugs w/3 second hold
3 sets, 8-10 reps

16 minutes cardio

Solid back session...rowing felt strong and really activated my lats a ton.

Had to switch my split around this week because it will be tough to get a full lift in tomorrow. Arms will be on Friday and I'll just take the weekend 'off'.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

ebomb5522
Level 5

Join date: Jun 2008
Location: New York, USA
Posts: 3974

4.20.12

Arms/Abs/Sprints

Quad Set 1
Rope Pushdown x 12
Seated Supinated Curls x 8 LR
Cable Kickback x 8 LR
Reverse EZ Bar Curl x 8
Used 40s and 50s on the DBs
Did this 4 times with 60-75 seconds rest between

Quad Set 2
Weighted Dips (45 on first, 90 on last 2) x 6
EZ Bar Curls x 6 (used 50 + bar)
Barbell Lying BTH Extension x 8
DB Hammers x 7
3 times through

Abs, 1 giant set

Hollow Sprints
30/30/30/30 (sprint/glide)
X 2

1-Man Sled Push
30 yards x 4
60-75 seconds rest
(woah)

Arms today felt amazing...insane pump and strength was solid too.

A buddy of mine was at the gym and asked if I wanted to sprint, couldn't say no lol.

After 2 sets, I saw the football 1 man sleds and asked if he wanted to do those, needless to say, he almost threw up lol.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

ebomb5522
Level 5

Join date: Jun 2008
Location: New York, USA
Posts: 3974

4.23.12

Legs

Seated Leg Curl/Leg Extension Superset
2 x 20 warmup
15/15
12/12
8 + 15 partials/8 + 15 partials
Legs were so full of blood/pumped at this point.

Back Squats w/3-4 second negative
135 x 8
225 x 8
275 x 8
315 x 8
345 x 8
375 x 8

Hack Squat (rock bottom, using the 'hard machine')
1 pps x 8
2 pps x 8
3 pps x 8
4 pps x 8
5 pps x 8 (brutal)

DB RDL continuous tension
75 x 12
100 x 12
120 x 12, 12

15 minutes elliptical

Brutal leg day. The curl/extension preexaust superset was rough and really helped me only feel the 'right' muscles working on squats.

Hacks were awesome...hit a PR on this machine despite doing them 4th in the routine. I have done 7 pps x 6-8 on other hacks, but this one is the toughest I've used and I love the challenge.

RDLs made my hammies feel like they were popping out and cardio was a nice cool down.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report