Building High-Performance Muscle™
Training Logs
 
Sexual Chocolate
 

jake_j_m
Level

Join date: Mar 2008
Location: England
Posts: 3329

Jab1 wrote:
btw with straight bar curls I felt the same thing, but just doing them more regularly fixed that, plus going for teh pumpz and not heavy weight.


I would definitely reccomend any guys feeling straight bar or even standing EZ bars curls more in forearms/wrists to put them at the end and try for 3 second eccentrics.. obviously the weight is limited but if you can work up to 60kg+ at the end of your workout you probably have some big-ass arms imo (40kg was a struggle for me, my arms suck).

  Report
 

samoth2
Level

Join date: Jun 2010
Location: Denmark
Posts: 1111

jake_j_m wrote:
Jab1 wrote:
btw with straight bar curls I felt the same thing, but just doing them more regularly fixed that, plus going for teh pumpz and not heavy weight.


I would definitely reccomend any guys feeling straight bar or even standing EZ bars curls more in forearms/wrists to put them at the end and try for 3 second eccentrics.. obviously the weight is limited but if you can work up to 60kg+ at the end of your workout you probably have some big-ass arms imo (40kg was a struggle for me, my arms suck).


I don't have an arm day so it would be tough to put it at the end, but I did go relatively slow on the descend. I'll try to go super slow next time and see how that feels.

  Report
 

jake_j_m
Level

Join date: Mar 2008
Location: England
Posts: 3329

samoth2 wrote:
I don't have an arm day so it would be tough to put it at the end, but I did go relatively slow on the descend. I'll try to go super slow next time and see how that feels.


If you don't have an arm day I'd probably either do another movement like cross-body hammer curls or just warm up with super light dbs/bbs a ton before going to them.. my mistake in the past has been 60kg+ cheat curls as my first movement, not particularly wise IMO.

  Report
 

samoth2
Level

Join date: Jun 2010
Location: Denmark
Posts: 1111

jake_j_m wrote:
samoth2 wrote:
I don't have an arm day so it would be tough to put it at the end, but I did go relatively slow on the descend. I'll try to go super slow next time and see how that feels.


If you don't have an arm day I'd probably either do another movement like cross-body hammer curls or just warm up with super light dbs/bbs a ton before going to them.. my mistake in the past has been 60kg+ cheat curls as my first movement, not particularly wise IMO.


I'm not doing anything near 60+ on any kind of curls haha. Wouldn't cross-body curls be more forearm? I believe the DC guys are doing them as a forearm exercise.

  Report
 

jake_j_m
Level

Join date: Mar 2008
Location: England
Posts: 3329

samoth2 wrote:
I'm not doing anything near 60+ on any kind of curls haha. Wouldn't cross-body curls be more forearm? I believe the DC guys are doing them as a forearm exercise.


Yeah it would.. but I prefer doing John Meadows style of arm training where he warms up them first and the lower biceps then moves on to a stretch type bi movement (incline curls, preacher, spider curls etc.) then finishes with some more standard curling. Don't know what I'd do if I was limited to one movement, I don't really do that besides on squats for smolov.

  Report
 

samoth2
Level

Join date: Jun 2010
Location: Denmark
Posts: 1111

I'll give it a go Saturday. After all the arm training isn't high priority right now. I think I'll start doing some more BB-style work after my meet this summer. I kinda miss having a pump.

  Report
 

jake_j_m
Level

Join date: Mar 2008
Location: England
Posts: 3329

samoth2 wrote:
I'll give it a go Saturday. After all the arm training isn't high priority right now. I think I'll start doing some more BB-style work after my meet this summer. I kinda miss having a pump.



I always just figure that theres really no harm in working bi's as hard as you would as a bb'er no matter what the goal. Same with tri's and calves if unless your benching/squatting multiple times a week. But yeah it's just a case of the time it takes I guess.

  Report
 

samoth2
Level

Join date: Jun 2010
Location: Denmark
Posts: 1111

Todays workout was fueled by a bunch of banana-cake and a Pepsi.

Bench
121x5
143x5
171x4
2x182x3
2x193x2
2x182x3
171x4
143x6
121x8

DB Flyes
5x35x10

Squat
198x5
2x237x4
2x276x3
5x292x3

Good Mornings
132x5
176x4
Went on to back raises
3x60x12

Comments
Bench was very easy. I went with index fingers on rings, where I usually use my ring fingers.
On the squats I played around with the form as well. Since I've gotten the Oly-shoes I have been divebombing my squats with a narrowish stance but today I spread out my feet a bit and slowed down the descend. Felt pretty good.

  Report
 

samoth2
Level

Join date: Jun 2010
Location: Denmark
Posts: 1111

Seated Laterals
18x15
22x8
22x10
Dropset
22x10-18x7-13x7
Feet on bench

Incline Rear Laterals
11x15
11x18
11x15-15 (Half full range, half partials)

Chin Ups
bwx10
bwx7
bwx5

Cross Body Curls
26x10
26x12
Change to
Hammer Curls
22x12
Both arms at once.

Comments
The laterals were a lot better than standing laterals. Will keep doing these.
I didn't like the rear laterals, I'll change these to scarecrows.
The first set on chin ups was probably the first time I've ever did a double digit amount of reps in chins/pull ups. They feel much much stronger than pull ups, but there was a quick decline in reps.
The cross body curls were pretty meh. The hammers felt much better.

Now it's time to enjoy the nice weather by staying inside and watching Premier League.

For some reason I decided that I needed to eat a box of cereal and two liters of milk. Let me just quote the legendary Ron Burgundy and say: Milk was a bad choice! I'm definitely paying for that decision now (Possible TMI)

  Report
 

samoth2
Level

Join date: Jun 2010
Location: Denmark
Posts: 1111

Squat
198x5
237x4
2x276x3
5x314x2

Bench
121x5
143x4
2x171x3
5x193x3
Most reps with a pretty long pause.

DB Flyes
5x35x10

Push Ups
5xbwx10

Front Squat
2x176x3
2x215x3
4x237x2 PR

Band Good Mornings
5xgreenx5

Comments
Squatting and benching was very strong. Front squats were fine but I'm having mayor trouble getting the bar in a good position. I used straps today.
BMGs feel better than with a barbell, since I'm prone to putting too much weight on the bar when I do these.

Today is also my first day on RFL so I can have hawt abzzz for the summer. I will run it until easter break just to see how my body reacts, and then after the easter break if I like what I see.

From now on I'll log in kilograms in support of phlegms's quest for Imperial dominance.

u mad Americans? (I'll notate PR's in both kg and lbs)

  Report
 

jake_j_m
Level

Join date: Mar 2008
Location: England
Posts: 3329

samoth2 wrote:
From now on I'll log in kilograms in support of phlegms's quest for Imperial dominance.

u mad Americans? (I'll notate PR's in both kg and lbs)


Nice front squatting. My log is equal opportunities for those imeperially and metrically endowed.

  Report
 

Jab1
Level

Join date: Feb 2009
Location: England
Posts: 1585

Great looking session dude. Squats are so awesome.

Glad to have you rejoin the Imperial side! Muhahaha

  Report
 

phlegms
Level

Join date: Jan 2011
Location: Ireland
Posts: 1708

Looking forward to seeing how RFL treats you. Will be following along eagerly!
I just finished up a stint of trying to drop a few kilo's whilst lo-carbing it, it worked fine for the first two weeks but the third week killed me. Was losing the ability to focus and I'm in the middle of my last few weeks of college before exams so decided to stop it until a later date when I have less intellectually stimulating things to be pouring my energies into!

  Report
 

samoth2
Level

Join date: Jun 2010
Location: Denmark
Posts: 1111

@Jake: Thanks buddy.
It wouldn't be taking a stand if I used both though. I'll force those Americans to use the Imperial system!
@Jab: Squats are totally awesome. Feeling very good at the moment.
@phlegms: I'm hoping it will turn out good. Then I could hopefully be in good enough shape to bump up my eating. I don't think I've been above 2500 cals this year. (I have probably completely ruined my metabolism lol)





  Report
 

spar4tee
Level

Join date: Sep 2010
Location: District of Columbia, USA
Posts: 9679

samoth2 wrote:

u mad Americans? (I'll notate PR's in both kg and lbs)


No because I'm American

  Report
 

samoth2
Level

Join date: Jun 2010
Location: Denmark
Posts: 1111

spar4tee wrote:
samoth2 wrote:

u mad Americans? (I'll notate PR's in both kg and lbs)


No because I'm American


That's a good thing?

This morning I weighed 80.5 kg which is down 2 kg from yesterday. I'll have to start making breakfast since I don't eat enough at night to keep myself sated until the afternoon.


  Report
 

spar4tee
Level

Join date: Sep 2010
Location: District of Columbia, USA
Posts: 9679

samoth2 wrote:
spar4tee wrote:
samoth2 wrote:

u mad Americans? (I'll notate PR's in both kg and lbs)


No because I'm American


That's a good thing?


LOL

  Report
 

samoth2
Level

Join date: Jun 2010
Location: Denmark
Posts: 1111

I was down to 79.9 kg this morning, soon I'll be shredded like bug and ebomb haha.

Pause DL
92.5x3
110x3
2x130x3
4x137.5x2

Bench
55x6
2x65x6
4x70x6

HS Decline 1 arm
15x10
3x30x10

Block Pulls
102.5x4
120x4
2x137.5x4
4x147.5x4

Walking Lunges
bwx36
2xbwx50

Comments
Easy day today. No trouble with the energy despite the low cals, though I felt a bit lightheaded during the DL but I think that's because I drank 3 cans of Coke Zero earlier.
Tried the new HS press instead of flyes and didn't like it very much. It felt like it was mostly shoulders for me.
The blocks from the squat box worked great for pulls, and since they belong to the club and not the gym the owner can't complain.
During the lunges I focused on a stretch at the bottom. Got pretty hard even with bodyweight.

Two rounds of squatting on Friday <3

  Report
 

jake_j_m
Level

Join date: Mar 2008
Location: England
Posts: 3329

So used to pounds in these logs, I struggled to understand that session. America has taken over my soul.

  Report
 

samoth2
Level

Join date: Jun 2010
Location: Denmark
Posts: 1111

jake_j_m wrote:
So used to pounds in these logs, I struggled to understand that session. America has taken over my soul.


lol.

I did feel pretty weak when I typed it in, numbers weren't big enough.

  Report
 

jake_j_m
Level

Join date: Mar 2008
Location: England
Posts: 3329

samoth2 wrote:
jake_j_m wrote:
So used to pounds in these logs, I struggled to understand that session. America has taken over my soul.


lol.

I did feel pretty weak when I typed it in, numbers weren't big enough.


PLing is so american. Invent increasingly sophisticated gear just so 1000lb+ can be reached in all lifts. trololol

  Report
 

mmatt
Level 1

Join date: Jan 2010
Location: South Carolina, USA
Posts: 1069

jake_j_m wrote:
samoth2 wrote:
jake_j_m wrote:
So used to pounds in these logs, I struggled to understand that session. America has taken over my soul.


lol.

I did feel pretty weak when I typed it in, numbers weren't big enough.


PLing is so american. Invent increasingly sophisticated gear just so 1000lb+ can be reached in all lifts. trololol


You're gonna make us do this:

  Report
 

samoth2
Level

Join date: Jun 2010
Location: Denmark
Posts: 1111

79.7 kgs yesterday and today which is the lowest I've been for quite a while.

Todays training

Squat
90x5
107.5x4
2x125x3
5x142.5x2

Bench
55x5
65x4
2x77.5x3
2x87.5x2
82.5x3
70x5
60x7

DB Flyes
16x10
4x12x10
immediately followed by 90s chest stretch.

Squat
90x5
2x107.5x5
4x125x4

Band GM
greenx5
4xbluex5

Comments
Felt kinda sluggish during the workout and I really had to grind it on some of the squats. I'm happy though since I've got all the reps I was supposed to do.

30 minutes after the workout I played street football with some friends for 90 minutes. I was extremely tired, hungry and thirsty afterwards. I kept thinking about all the crap I'm going to eat when I get back home on Wednesday. I am definitely going to get Nutella and cheese on white bread (it's a fantastic mix) and Nutella and banana on rye bread (also amazing).

Tomorrow I'll be going to a new gym opening in my town. I'm gonna try the SSB, rings and whatever looks exciting.

  Report
 

samoth2
Level

Join date: Jun 2010
Location: Denmark
Posts: 1111

Fooled around a bit today in the new gym that was opening.

I did some safety bar squats, GH raises, cable rows, CG fat bar bench and around 50 pull ups spread in between the other stuff. Light weight just to try the things I usually don't have access to. It was fun.

My weight this morning was down to 78.8 kg and I decided, that I needed a carbload, but I felt really shitty (literally) after the first carbs so I dropped that idea.
I'm thinking that low carbs might work best for me.

  Report
 

phlegms
Level

Join date: Jan 2011
Location: Ireland
Posts: 1708

The weight is really flying off, hows the strength feeling?

  Report