The Intelligent & Relentless Pursuit of Muscle™
Training Logs
 
Death Incoming
 

PlainPat
Level

Join date: Aug 2011
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2350

7/2/14

210.4 BW - I actually checked!

At universal

EXPLOSIVE BENCH

-Bench (paused)
45x12
95x8
135x5
155x3
185x1
(205x3)x8 - these were all super fast I was tempted to go heavy today because my form was spot on for whatever reason but saving myself a bit for some reps next week

-Wide Grip Incline
175x8
190x6
205x7 -+wraps

-Dumbell Incline
65x15
70x12
75x15 -+wraps pr

-Cable Flyes (high cable)
30x15
40x12
50x20/20 - pr

-CG Smith Decline
195x12
210x8
225x15 -+Wraps +20lb +2 rep pr in a week LOL

-DB OH Extensions
60x15
65x12
70x15 - pr

-Pushdowns (bike handles)
6x15
7x12
8x15/15 - pr

Great day today got it done early was in the gym at 830 am.. now getting a meal then heading to spend the day with my girl and get some food

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

budreiser
Level

Join date: Aug 2011
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Posts: 1344

Dang man. I was restiff bars suck. I feel your pain.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

PlainPat
Level

Join date: Aug 2011
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2350

budreiser wrote:
Dang man. I was restiff bars suck. I feel your pain.


this thing had no knurling I almost dropped 315 I was forced to use so much chalk too was horrendous

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

PlainPat
Level

Join date: Aug 2011
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2350

Preface: under-ate a ridiculous amount yesterday. had my big morning shake, a sub from charleys, and like 4oz of steak and a spoonful of rice.. was with the SO all day at her house so didnt have much food available to me but it was a good day i really enjoyed spending it with her so im not upset at all really

7/5/14

?bw

at universal

REP SQUATS

-Squat (5-8 reps)
45x12 -starting off high bar
135x8
185x3
225x1
275x1
315x1
365x1 -+belt highest ive ever gone no wraps pr
405x1 -+belt +wraps nice
415x7 - +belt +wraps +1 rep pr at weight.. switched to lower bar here.. working on bar placement really want to bring the bar up to a bit higher bar so its more stable

-High Bar Squat
275x8
295x6 -+belt this was the most I could get out of myself today the effects of no food

-Hack Squat
+80ps x15
+90ps x12
+100ps x12 - pr

-Leg Extensions
9x15
10x12
11x15x2 - pr but staying here for at least another week or two to really use quads well

-Standing calf raise
4x20
5x15
6x16x2 -pr

-Seated calf raise
50x15
60x15
70x15x2 - pr by default

finished with some abs and walked out.. getting a meal in then heading home for moms birthday very busy weekend

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

PlainPat
Level

Join date: Aug 2011
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2350

7/7/14

? bw

W2D3 cube

At universal

OVERHEAD EXPLOSIVE

-Seated Overhead
45x12
95x8
135x5
155x3
185x8 -+wraps big step up from last time not a pr yet but getting stronger quickly again on these

-Seated BTN PRess
135x8
145x6
155x8 -+wraps +3 rep pr this was awesome

-DUmbell Lat Raise
30x15
35x12
40x15 - pr but staying here another week get form a bit better wasnt terrible tho

-Ez front raise
45x15
55x12
65x15x2 -default pr like these a lot

-Barbell Curls
65x15
70x15
75x15

-Seated DB Hammer Curls
25x15
30x12
35x15 pr

-Cable Curls
4x15
5x15
6x13x2

good day today. some cardio later evening and then deads tmrw morning

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

PlainPat
Level

Join date: Aug 2011
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2350

7/8/14

212.4 bw

W2D4

At universal

HEAVY DEAD

-Deadlift
135x8
225x3
275x1
315x1
365x1
405x1
455x1 -+belt
495x1 -+belt
545x1 -+belt +20lb pr .. still not on a pull bar and had more in the tank.. maybe 570 on a pull bar as a 1rm

-Barbell Row
230x12
250x10
270x10 -+straps pr

-Assisted Wide Grip Pullups
90x12
80x10
70x12/11 - pr

-1 Arm Support Machine Rows
9x15
10x12
11x15 - pr

-1 Leg Curls
55x15
60x15
65x15

-Lying Leg Curls
5x15
6x12
7x14x2 - pr

-SLDL
135x12
185x10 - toasted and done

happy with that pull deffinetely have some more in me

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

PlainPat
Level

Join date: Aug 2011
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2350

7/10/14

211.4

At universal

10s BENCH

-Bench
45x12
95x10
135x5
155x3
(170x10)x4 -+wraps obviously not hard at all, this is 60%
170x25- ERM=311, a bit high but still a calculation to work off of

-DB Incline
70x15
75x12- +wraps called it here pec was really cramping up

-T-Bar Row
135x12
145x10
155x12

-DB OH Extensions
65x20
70x15
75x18 - pr

EXTRA
-Cable Flyes
50x20
60x15
70x20 - pr. did these to make up for some of the pec work I missed skipping on dumbell inclines


then finished with 10 mins cardio, usually Id do 20 later on but I wont have time so did what I could now

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

PlainPat
Level

Join date: Aug 2011
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2350

7/12/14

? bw

At universal

10s DEADLIFT ACC

-Deadlift
135x8
225x5
275x3
315x1
(325x5)x10 - 60 seconds rest between sets.. killed me

-1 Leg Curls
(70x18)x3 pr

-Lat Pulldown
(140x12)x5

-Ab Pulldown
(5x20)x5

Overhead on Monday

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

PlainPat
Level

Join date: Aug 2011
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2350

7/14/14

? bw

At universal

10s OVERHEAD ACC

-Seated Overhead
45x12
95x8
115x5
(135x5)x10 - 60 seconds rest. SHould be easy but for someone who has never managed training density with rest periods.. wasnt the easiest thing although everything moved fast and perfectly

-Wide grip Pullups
(-70x13)x5 - pr

-Barbell Curls
(75x12)x5

-Dips
BWx12
+25x8
(+25x5)x3 - need to work on these.. I know that I pick up weight on these quickly when I do them so shouldnt be an issue and will be using at least a plate soon

finished with 15 minutes shoulder prehab

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

PlainPat
Level

Join date: Aug 2011
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2350

Better

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

PlainPat
Level

Join date: Aug 2011
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2350

7/16/14

? bw

W1D4

At universal

10s SQUAT ACC

-Squat
45x12
135x5
185x3
225x1
255x1
(290x5)x10 - no belt no wraps.. tried to keep the rest periods low like 60s but towards the end this grew longer and longer

-Lunges
(95x8)x2 - god I hate these so I need to do them

-Back Extension
(95x8)x2 - at this point the fatigue from squatting caught up with me so badly

-Ab Pulldown
(6x15)x4

bench tomorrow if i can move

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

chobbs
Level 1

Join date: May 2012
Location:
Posts: 3073

Unilateral leg work blows

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

PlainPat
Level

Join date: Aug 2011
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2350

chobbs wrote:
Unilateral leg work blows


I just cant balance myself I tried split squats and it was so awkward that I had to try something else

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

PlainPat
Level

Join date: Aug 2011
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2350

Through this together.. 12 weeks

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

PlainPat
Level

Join date: Aug 2011
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2350

7/17/14

209.4 bw - skinny :P

W2D1

at universal

10s BENCH INT.

-Bench
45x12
95x8
135x5
155x5
180x5
(190x3)x10 -+wraps ok this is the best bench ever felt ever. Every rep moved fast as the bar did from start to finish and literally every rep was exactly the same bar speed and form.. amazingly well bench day even though its only 67.5% of an edm

-Chin-ups (neutral grip) // Rear Delt FLyes
(+5x8)x4 // (100x15)x4

-Dumbell OH Press
(60x12)x4 not a problem at all

-OH DB Extensions // Smith Shrugs
(85x10)x3 // (225x15)x3

Done. Pretty good session. Cardio later, tomorrow, and then deads saturday

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

budreiser
Level

Join date: Aug 2011
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Posts: 1344

Do you have any meets coming up? Nice DL pr btw

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

PlainPat
Level

Join date: Aug 2011
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2350

budreiser wrote:
Do you have any meets coming up? Nice DL pr btw


I was going to compete in october but theres too much going on life wise right now. Transferring schools, figuring out financial issues, trying to get a real job other than working at the library, financing what I would actually need to do to have a successful meet with food and supps etc.. Hopefully I'll compete again this next summer of 2015. My goal there wil be to squat 600, bench mid 3s, and pull a 635 dead @198 or 220. Hopefully 198.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

PlainPat
Level

Join date: Aug 2011
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2350

7/19/14

W2D2

At home

209.4 bw

10s DEADLIFT INT.

-Deadlift
135x8
225x3,1
275x1
300x5
340x5
(370x3)x10 -90s rest between.. very consistent bar speed wish I was on a pull bar because it was very stiff and fighting me but they were all speedy and consistent so im happy

-RDLS
(315x8)x3 -+straps.. more like a modified paused pull than RDLs but I wanted them to be as clsoe to deads as possible to work on lock out kept them very close to body and hammered them to lockout

-Lat Pulldown
(125x12)x3

-Ab Rollouts
(BWx12)x4

supposed to do hacks but at home no hack so.. obviously quad work gets replaced with lats

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

PlainPat
Level

Join date: Aug 2011
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2350

OK rant time:

I'm watching a video from some clown named Christian Guzman saying hes a hardgainer and going through his flexible dieting day of eating.. And I'm reading the comments of people saying how hard it is to gain weight and how they are eating like him..

This motherfucker ate like 4 eggs, some rice, chipoltle, shitty carbs, cereal with milk and like powerade. He totaled like 700g carb, 100g fat, and like 180g protein..

Ok so heres the deal. I used to eat sort of like this not worrying really what food I was eating or the quality.

What I think people don't understand is the difference that quality of calories vs quantity makes.. OK so lets look at how someone like a top BB would eat:

-2 cups egg whites 2 cup oats maybe extra protein source
-12 oz chicken fish beef and 2 cups rice or potatoes and veggies
-12 oz chicken fish beef and 2 cups rice or potatoes and veggies
-12 oz chicken fish beef and 2 cups rice or potatoes and veggies
-12 oz chicken fish beef and 2 cups rice or potatoes and veggies

Now, looking at this (im not going to do the actual math) It probably isnt more than 4-5000 calories... this is something a top level BB would probably do, or at least similar but with more variety.

What people dont understand is that they think oh well they are just able to be 275lbs+ eating so little calories lucky them I cant do that I have to stuff so many calories down my throat just to be 180 so I'll never be a top level pro..

IT ISNT QUANTITY OF CALORIES THAT ALWAYS MATTERS. The quality of the food youre eating is so importnat its ridiculous. The difference in a physique and bodyweight from eating a diet like outlined above and a diet like it is portrayed in that video is MASSIVE. It pisses me off that people complain that they are just unlucky and have to eat like how they do. The quality of getting real solid whole food meals in involving grains, meat, and veggies 4-6x a day is what will push you up to those crazy amounts of muscle and leaness. Obviously drugs play a role and genetics, but if people really pushed quality whole food you would be SHOCKED at what you can accomplish.

Rant over. Just a thing to think about when putting together a diet plan that the quality of getting solid whole food "bodybuilding" meals like this is stupid important

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Spidey22
Level 1

Join date: Jun 2009
Location: Kentucky, USA
Posts: 3804

While I'm not a Guzman 'fan', I think he's an alright guy. He tracks his macros, but I think the 'hardgainer' thing is just something to get viewers. I saw that video and I think he ate like a legitimate eggs/rice meal in the morning, has some candy, ate some chiptole, had some cereal and than had another 'real' meal of like 10oz chicken and rice. Which to me isn't that bad. That's 3 legitimate meat/starch meals + 2 bonus things to push carbs up.

The above example meal plan you gave, while it would work, is at least 300g of protein. That would make me feel like shit. lol. Unless you really like protein, Idk why you'd do that, at least as a natty (on gear obviously protein being higher will definitely have some benefits).

Now, with the food quality thing, I think what you're kind of getting at is maybe just simple micronutrients, which people usually disregard when they go on a IIFYM yolo style diet. I've felt shitty before eating a ton of calories, but once i looked at my MICROS and saw I was devoid in certain things, I felt way better. I take a digestive pill now and again, I eat 2-4 servings of veggies everyday, and 1-2 servings of fruit. Honestly in a surplus, this next bulk I'll probably add in a good deal of my carbs from fruit because of the nutrients, and I've noticed I have more energy since hitting my micros more, which leads to better gym performance. Another thing is fiber: someone eating your diet is going to have a LOT more fiber, their body will probably digest and utilize more of the food, so yeah in that regard I get where you're coming from. Eating 500g of carbs from foods that you shit out an hour later won't help much. lol

I guess what I'm saying is I think that the BB'ing 'chikan rice and brokly' thing DOES work, but for some it's not feasible, and it work because of the MICROS that are easily obtained when hitting your MACROS with those foods. I genuinely feel someone could eat 500 carbs from mostly shit and all their protein from powder, but if they ate 8-12 servings of fruits and veggies and just made sure fiber game was on point, they'd be just as fine.

Sorry for the novel, just want to give a somewhat 'agreeing' perspective from coming from an alternative POV (my styles of eating and yours are obviously different as seen in the past lol)

TL;DR most the time 'hardgainers' are people who aren't taking precautions to digest the calories they're actually consuming

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

PlainPat
Level

Join date: Aug 2011
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2350

Spidey22 wrote:
While I'm not a Guzman 'fan', I think he's an alright guy. He tracks his macros, but I think the 'hardgainer' thing is just something to get viewers. I saw that video and I think he ate like a legitimate eggs/rice meal in the morning, has some candy, ate some chiptole, had some cereal and than had another 'real' meal of like 10oz chicken and rice. Which to me isn't that bad. That's 3 legitimate meat/starch meals + 2 bonus things to push carbs up.

The above example meal plan you gave, while it would work, is at least 300g of protein. That would make me feel like shit. lol. Unless you really like protein, Idk why you'd do that, at least as a natty (on gear obviously protein being higher will definitely have some benefits).

Now, with the food quality thing, I think what you're kind of getting at is maybe just simple micronutrients, which people usually disregard when they go on a IIFYM yolo style diet. I've felt shitty before eating a ton of calories, but once i looked at my MICROS and saw I was devoid in certain things, I felt way better. I take a digestive pill now and again, I eat 2-4 servings of veggies everyday, and 1-2 servings of fruit. Honestly in a surplus, this next bulk I'll probably add in a good deal of my carbs from fruit because of the nutrients, and I've noticed I have more energy since hitting my micros more, which leads to better gym performance. Another thing is fiber: someone eating your diet is going to have a LOT more fiber, their body will probably digest and utilize more of the food, so yeah in that regard I get where you're coming from. Eating 500g of carbs from foods that you shit out an hour later won't help much. lol

I guess what I'm saying is I think that the BB'ing 'chikan rice and brokly' thing DOES work, but for some it's not feasible, and it work because of the MICROS that are easily obtained when hitting your MACROS with those foods. I genuinely feel someone could eat 500 carbs from mostly shit and all their protein from powder, but if they ate 8-12 servings of fruits and veggies and just made sure fiber game was on point, they'd be just as fine.

Sorry for the novel, just want to give a somewhat 'agreeing' perspective from coming from an alternative POV (my styles of eating and yours are obviously different as seen in the past lol)

TL;DR most the time 'hardgainers' are people who aren't taking precautions to digest the calories they're actually consuming


Ok see I understand, and I'm not disagreeing with your POV on this. Its when the fuckers comment saying how they eat like that how he did in the video daily with 5000+ calories bitching they can't gain weight when they don't understand that its not just calories and macros that matter, its the micros/quality (what we are saying) that matter more

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

LoRez
Level

Join date: Jun 2012
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 5642

I know I might get flamed in one way or another for saying this, but I think that certain "greens" products, especially if taken in double-doses, can make a big difference in a diet that's been focused purely on calories and protein. Whether the greens products are better or worse than just eating your damn vegetables, I think the jury is still out, but it provides a means for people who have the money but not the appetite to otherwise get their vegetables.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

PlainPat
Level

Join date: Aug 2011
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2350

LoRez wrote:
I know I might get flamed in one way or another for saying this, but I think that certain "greens" products, especially if taken in double-doses, can make a big difference in a diet that's been focused purely on calories and protein. Whether the greens products are better or worse than just eating your damn vegetables, I think the jury is still out, but it provides a means for people who have the money but not the appetite to otherwise get their vegetables.


Oh wont argue with this at all, if you can get what you need in terms of greens in a convenient condensed pill form and can afford it fuck it take it lol why not you know.

although I think most people are better served eating them, if for no other reason because they provide a filler effect for meals that might leave you starving when cuttng without them

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

PlainPat
Level

Join date: Aug 2011
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2350

something different..

7/21/14

208.0 BW

At universal

Bench

-Bench
45x12
95x8
135x5
185x3
225x3 @7
255x3 @9
240x3x5 @8, 8, 8.5, 8.5, 9

-Close Grip Incline
45x12
135x4
185x4 @8
205x4 @10
195x4x2 @9, 10

-Seated BTN Press (setsx reps) 4x5
-Lat Pulldowns 4x10

I actually had fun doing this.. first time in a long time was very productive and part of the reason I started lifting.. pretty happy

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report