The Intelligent & Relentless Pursuit of Muscle™
Training Logs
 
5/3/1 to 6/5/4
1 2 Next Last
 

Doh
Level

Join date: Mar 2005
Posts: 464

Gonna log my 5/3/1 training here to keep myself something to look back at.

I have been doing 5/3/1 for a while and loving it. The philosophy of just eat, lift, and sprint are so simple and effective. I no longer worry about every minute detail regarding my lifting and nutrition (eating clean and healthy food 90% of the time) so I don't look like I have OCD lol

My goal is 600 deadlift, 500 squat, and 400 bench (hence the 6/5/4!). Now, I'm nowhere close to it. But I'm confident I'll be a lot closer a few years down the road doing this than anything else. It may take me 5 or 10 or however many but I'm gunning for it.

Today is the first day of my new cycle.

Military Press
1x5 @ 95
1x5 @ 110
1x8 @ 125

Dips
2x3 @ +90
1x8 @ +70

Standing Db Shoulder (Neutral)
1x10 @ 45 <-- too heavy
4x10 @ 35

V-Bar Lat Pulldown
3x10 @ 140

DB Row
1x20 @ 100

Forgot my strap so went as heavy as grip could permit only

Tomorrow is an off day but I plan to do some hill sprints...and possibly a light fasted jog in the morning for 15-20 min depending upon my meal of choice later tonight.





  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

florelius
Level

Join date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3129

Good press man, I will be following this log( I am running 531 myself and like to see how others are doing on it )

ps.

Whats your stats?, what do your entire routine look like and besides the 6/5/4 goal, do you have any others?

Sorry for all the questions btw ;)

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Doh
Level

Join date: Mar 2005
Posts: 464

Stats as in my maxes?

My all time best for the 4 lifts:

Press: 185
Bench: 315
Squat: 365
Deadlift: 475

As of now, my strength has diminished a little as I shed some fat the past few months. I don't think it will take me too long to regain them and push forward though!

My other 3 days look like this:

Deadlift 5/3/1
ATG Squats 5x10
Leg Curls 5x10
Ab Circuits

Bench Press 5/3/1
CGBP 5x10 (paused)
DB Incline 5x10
Rack Chins 3x10
Smith Row 1x6-8 + 1x8-12

Cleans 5/3/1
Squats 5/3/1
Deficit Deadlift 5x10
Leg Press ***this set depends on feel. If tired, skip
Ab Circuits

Basic premise is 5/3/1 and my assistance exercise have been tweaked to fit my needs.

Hope that helps!

Today was rest day. Had a light 15min fasted cardio in the morning and later on the day 10 hill runs (not sprints, just strides because hamstrings are still not fully recovered).

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Doh
Level

Join date: Mar 2005
Posts: 464

Missed a few questions. I do have a few goals.

-Doing a muscle up
-Running a 50s 400m
-And a good vert jump

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Doh
Level

Join date: Mar 2005
Posts: 464

Forgot to log my diet for yesterday.

So what I consumed throughout the day was:

10 whole eggs
7oz chicken breast
6oz steak
3oz pork
3 scoops whey
12ct baked mussels
stir fry veggies with shrimp
a small bowl of rice
some dabbles of multigrain chips
5cap fish oil
Olive oil, coconut oil, some butter


Yesterday being a non-workout day, carbs were naturally low. They consumed prior to my hill runs.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Doh
Level

Join date: Mar 2005
Posts: 464

Hamstrings are still mildly sore/fatigue from last workout and did not fully recover yet. So today I decided to take it easy but hitting prescribed weights only and lighter weights for the assistance exercises.

Power Clean
1x5 @ 115
1x5 @ 135
1x5 @ 155

This is the first time I'm training cleans ever since my HS track days about 6 years ago. I used today to gauge what numbers I will be using in the future. I want to hit the 225lb clean!

Squats
1x5 @ 225
1x5 @ 245
1x5 @ 275

Hit prescribed weights and done. Did not want to push too much with my hamstring as it is.

Deficit Deadlifts
5x10 @ 185

Ab Circuit

Done for the day!

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

panzerfaust
Level

Join date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1458

Good to see another 5/3/1 log on here!

What kind of sprints are you doing?

Also what is your height/weight?

I'm keen to watch your progress with the Power Clean in particular, as I will be doing these as part of 5/3/1 Full Body Training Phase 4 later this year.

Good luck with your goals man

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Doh
Level

Join date: Mar 2005
Posts: 464

panzerfaust wrote:
Good to see another 5/3/1 log on here!

What kind of sprints are you doing?

Also what is your height/weight?

I'm keen to watch your progress with the Power Clean in particular, as I will be doing these as part of 5/3/1 Full Body Training Phase 4 later this year.

Good luck with your goals man


I'm 5'9" 180lb atm

I do hill sprints. It's about 40-50m and pretty steep on some parts.

Full body 5/3/1 is something I'm definitely jumping into a few cycles down the road.

Thanks and good luck to you!

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

florelius
Level

Join date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3129

Doh wrote:
Stats as in my maxes?

My all time best for the 4 lifts:

Press: 185
Bench: 315
Squat: 365
Deadlift: 475

As of now, my strength has diminished a little as I shed some fat the past few months. I don't think it will take me too long to regain them and push forward though!

My other 3 days look like this:

Deadlift 5/3/1
ATG Squats 5x10
Leg Curls 5x10
Ab Circuits

Bench Press 5/3/1
CGBP 5x10 (paused)
DB Incline 5x10
Rack Chins 3x10
Smith Row 1x6-8 + 1x8-12

Cleans 5/3/1
Squats 5/3/1
Deficit Deadlift 5x10
Leg Press ***this set depends on feel. If tired, skip
Ab Circuits

Basic premise is 5/3/1 and my assistance exercise have been tweaked to fit my needs.

Hope that helps!

Today was rest day. Had a light 15min fasted cardio in the morning and later on the day 10 hill runs (not sprints, just strides because hamstrings are still not fully recovered).



Thanks for the detailed answer man :)

You have some good all time PR`s there, I hope you crush them in a not to distant future :)

I also like the reasoning behind your template aka that you say that you adjust according to your needs.

I wish you the best of luck reaching all of your goals man :)

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Doh
Level

Join date: Mar 2005
Posts: 464

florelius wrote:


Thanks for the detailed answer man :)

You have some good all time PR`s there, I hope you crush them in a not to distant future :)

I also like the reasoning behind your template aka that you say that you adjust according to your needs.

I wish you the best of luck reaching all of your goals man :)


No problem!

The way I structured it is easy, I just pick exercises which have shown to help me improve in the big lifts and go with it. For example, shoulder day I have heavy dips. The reason is because heavy dips have helped increase my bench in the past. I have done 5x10 dips as outlined but that never really got me anywhere. The standing db press is a new addition and so far I am liking it. Traditional 5x10 military press didn't really help me either. Sometimes I need a new exercise to fix a certain weak point. As for lower body, there is ATG squats as opposed to parallel, deficits, and power cleans because I am weak out of the hole in both squat and deadlift!


  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Doh
Level

Join date: Mar 2005
Posts: 464

Yesterday was off day. Did 15min light fasted cardio and 5 hill sprints later the day.

Due to some changes, I will have to push Bench day to Saturday so that I have a spotter. Because of that, today will be shoulder day again. It will still be treat as first day of 5/3/1 and goal is to hit more reps on final set than last time.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Doh
Level

Join date: Mar 2005
Posts: 464

Military Press
1x5 @ 95
1x5 @ 110
1x9 @ 125 <--awww yeaa 1 more rep

Dips
3x3 @ +90

Standing DB Press
1x10 @ 35
2x10 @ 40
2x10 @ 35

Shoulder Destruction Set

DB Row
1x15 @ 110

70s of extreme lat stretch

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Doh
Level

Join date: Mar 2005
Posts: 464

Deadlift
1x5 @ 275
1x5 @ 315
1x8 @ 350

ATG Squats
5x10 @ 155

These were done with a 1sec pause at the bottom

*short on time so skipped leg curls*

Ab Circuits

Busy day today...didn't eat enough so far

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Doh
Level

Join date: Mar 2005
Posts: 464

Bench
1x5 @ 185
1x5 @ 205
1x8 @ 225

CGBP

These were done with a 1sec pause at the bottom

5x10 @ 135

DB Incline Press

5x10 @ 55

WG Lat Pulldowns

These were done with emphasis on eccentric and stretch at the top

3x10 @ 140

Smith Row

1x6 @ 205
1x10 @ 185

Today's weather is GREAT. Might do some 400m runs later

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

florelius
Level

Join date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3129

Good bench man :)

Keep it up.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Doh
Level

Join date: Mar 2005
Posts: 464

florelius wrote:
Good bench man :)

Keep it up.


Thanks. I have catch up to do though. When I was 210 (30lb heavier), I did 3x10 @ 225 lol

I ended up taking a long stroll (40min) yesterday evening instead. Today, I will do the 400m. It will be light intensity though..not exceeding 60%. Tomorrow is leg day after all.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Doh
Level

Join date: Mar 2005
Posts: 464

Power Cleans
1x3 @ 115
1x3 @ 135
1x7 @ 160

Not bad..

Squats
1x3 @ 245
1x3 @ 265
1x5 @ 295

Need to learn to keep knees from caving

Deficit Deadlift
1x10 @ 185
4x10 @ 205

Grip nearly died at the end

Ab Circuit

BB Curl
3x5 @ 95
last set followed immediately by 1x10 @ 65 followed immediately by 1x12 @ 45

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Doh
Level

Join date: Mar 2005
Posts: 464

Did 3x400m today. Damn this is hard with heavy wind during final stretch...

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Doh
Level

Join date: Mar 2005
Posts: 464

Military Press
1x3 @ 115
1x3 @ 125
1x6 @ 135

Dips
1x3 @ 90
1x3 @ 100
1x4 @ 90

100lb was actually a PR. Never did that before

Standing DB Press
1x10 @ 40
2x10 @ 42.5
2x10 @ 40

V-Grip Pulldown
1x10 @ 140
2x10 @ 150

DB Row
1x20 @ 110

Shoulder Destruction Set

Getting leaner somewhat.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

florelius
Level

Join date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3129

Good press and congrats with a PR in dips Doh :)

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Doh
Level

Join date: Mar 2005
Posts: 464

Deadlift
1x3 @ 295
1x3 @ 335
1x3 @ 370

Felt like doing one more because I was only able to hit prescribed reps...

1x4 @ 370

A little bit sad about deadlift. Two months ago I was able to hit 405x8 ... my strength literally disappeared over night.

ATG Squats (1-2s pause at bottom)
5x10 @ 160

These destroyed my quads.

Concentric Box Jump
5x3

Decided to add this in. Bottom of my deadlift is always the weakest part.

Ab Circuit.

Done!

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Doh
Level

Join date: Mar 2005
Posts: 464

Bench
1x3 @ 190
1x3 @ 215
1x5 @ 240

CGBP (paused)
2x10 @ 140
3x10 @ 145

DB Incline Press
5x10 @ 60

Lat Pulldown
1x11 @ 150
1x9 @ 160
1x8 @ 160

Smith Row
1x10 @ 205
1x15 @ 185

My bench is so sad

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Doh
Level

Join date: Mar 2005
Posts: 464

Week 3 Cycle 1

Power Clean
1x5 @ 135
1x3 @ 145
1x5 @ 165

Fifth rep 165 form was horrible. But got that shit up.

Squats
1x5 @ 250
1x3 @ 280
1x1 @ 315

First rep popped up like feather. Second rep....failed. WTF? I refuse to end a squat workout like that so did another set

1x3 @ 295

Paused Squats
5x10 @ 185

Super lactic build up on my quads

AB CIRCUIT

It's sad thinking that when I did Smolov during the beginning of this year, I was able to hit 10x3 @ 315 squats

=[


  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

MegaDavo891
Level

Join date: Mar 2009
Posts: 498

Doh wrote:
It's sad thinking that when I did Smolov during the beginning of this year, I was able to hit 10x3 @ 315 squats

=[




This might be a bit probing, but is there anything in particular you feel has changed since doing Smolov? Like CNS burn-out, joint soreness or anything? Reason I ask is I too found my strength on squats really dropped in the months after Smolov

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Doh
Level

Join date: Mar 2005
Posts: 464

MegaDavo891 wrote:
Doh wrote:
It's sad thinking that when I did Smolov during the beginning of this year, I was able to hit 10x3 @ 315 squats

=[




This might be a bit probing, but is there anything in particular you feel has changed since doing Smolov? Like CNS burn-out, joint soreness or anything? Reason I ask is I too found my strength on squats really dropped in the months after Smolov


I thought about that before but nothing really has changed. If anything, I eat healthier than before. I never count calories but I always make sure I eat enough and am not starving.

My deadlift actually went up shortly after I ended Smolov. But it didn't last long because about 2 months ago my strength just randomly diminished. I'm really not sure why..

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
1 2 3 Next Last